3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: AUCTUAL draw length what an eye opener!!!!!!  (Read 653 times)

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: AUCTUAL draw length what an eye opener!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Ken, you have to pull those shoulders together, even bent over you would gain 2 if not 3"s if you just used back tension and got those shoulder blades squeezed towards each other! Shawn
Shawn

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2011, 12:17:00 PM »
Shawn,
      yup thats what everyone suggested but i do not want to timker before season as i am shooting well even with "bad" form. i am not short drawing, i have a solid anchor just and extreme bend. it with out a dobut has to be corrected but not with deer season a month away. Ken thornhill has offered to help me and i will graciously take him up on it.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
Being 4.5" shorter in draw length than you thought you were, it's amazing to me your arrows are tuned to your bow.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
Brother you are shooting well but I bet if you stand up and be counted you will gain some draw and it shouldn't really be hard to adjust . Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
Arrows are probably tuned cause they are so long, you have 8"s it looks like sticking out from the bow. Ken, I have to agree with Drew, you should be able to change and shooting well in just a couple days. It will not be that hard to adjust and the gains will be great. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
If you have proper alignment/back tension/ it matters not if you bend at the waist.  Bending at the waist does not shorten your draw length if you have proper form.  You can bend forward or back, rotate right or left and still have the same draw length if you are properly aligned.

The main problem is your elbow is pointing at 4 O'Clock.  You are muscling the bow and pulling with your instead of your back.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2011, 02:35:00 PM »
I'm a tall guy with a 28" draw too. 6'3" tall. Wear a 46 suit coat, and an 18/35 or 36 shirt. Shot a 30" draw compound.

My son who is 5'10" has more wingspan than me. They measured this in football camp, and he had more wingspan than most of the players taller than him.

So people are made differently.

I got in the habit of drawing to 27" for a while, taking my head to the string, etc. I practice to stay at 28. But even with a real light bow, if I draw to 28.5 it feels awkward, 30" is like putting the string behind my head.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
So Skipp... What's wrong with a T-Rex Draw Length of 26"?    :p    ... Slow and steady Ken. You'll get there when you are ready.    :thumbsup:   Get your elbow back and pull through the shot. Squeeze the shoulder blades together. (My 2 cents worth)

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by mcgroundstalker:
So Skipp... What's wrong with a T-Rex Draw Length of 26"?     :p     ... Slow and steady Ken. You'll get there when you are ready.     :thumbsup:    Get your elbow back and pull through the shot. Squeeze the shoulder blades together. (My 2 cents worth)

... mike ...
Mike, we all knew the Waysiah and T Rex Jokes were coming. No offense, but it is funny.
Hope you are well brother!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2011, 03:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
.....Most people look at me and tell me there is no way I can draw 29+". Then they give me an arrow and I anchor, the arrow is almost of the back of the shelf. Everybody is different!!
Ron, Are you saying when you're shooting that you draw over 29"?  Or just saying you are capable of it?

Have you ever video'd yourself shooting?  

Only reason I ask all this is that you say you knew Ken was short drawing by watching him....I've watched you shoot bud, and unless you have done some serious work, I'd bet when shooting and not consiously thinking about it, you don't draw over 23-24" yourself.

This is just an honest critique of what I've seen bud. Not saying this to go against what your saying, just that's it's easy for us(me included) to think we're drawing further than we really do.

Video is an eye opener!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Guru:
Ron, Are you saying when you're shooting that you draw over 29"?  Or just saying you are capable of it?

Have you ever video'd yourself shooting?  

Only reason I ask all this is that you say you knew Ken was short drawing by watching him....I've watched you shoot bud, and unless you have done some serious work, I'd bet when shooting and not consiously thinking about it, you don't draw over 23-24" yourself.

This is just an honest critique of what I've seen bud. Not saying this to go against what your saying, just that's it's easy for us(me included) to think we're drawing further than we really do.

Video is an eye opener!
Curt,  No disrespect here but Ron does draw back quite far.  Even though I dont know his real draw length he can extend a long arrow.

I know some people have issues getting back to anchor, especially shooting in a group of people.  Target Panic is a REAL phenomenon!

Ron has done considerable work and when he is on, he's on.  When he's having a bad day, well your lucky if he gets 5 inches of draw.

on a side note...

Ken Has been shooting Well! Even though he may not have GREAT form, he has been consistent in his form.

I have never seem myself shoot, I can guarentee, I have areas that I could improve my form also.

This thread is a good reminder that there's always room to improve and a constant analysis  of yourself can help you correct bad habits that slowly creep up.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
One way or another, good luck this season Ken.  Most of us have some form issues that we struggle with.  For me it is more apparent when I rush my shots.  3D shoots seem to bring it out the worst, but I seem to be able to bring it together when target shooting or hunting.  Go figure.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
thanks for postin the pic and video. i alway enjoy seeing everyones style.
I really dont think you have to mess around with it. if you can stay consistent an shoot with good accuracy dont worry about it. who says this or that is how you have to do it.... just enjoy yourself and get a bow with a weight you want to fit your draw. your arrows tuned and shoot the heck out of it man.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
wow thats a big drop.  im 26.75 in compound and where i anchor for trad i measure 26"
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
Charlie that's great that Ron has been working hard at it....I meant no disrespect tto him or you bud.  Just an example of what an outsider looking in sees that we don't see from behind the bow ourselves...

Tollgate is where I last saw Ron shoot...

Carry on guys....see ya next weekend!

Ken, after the season is the best time to work on things like this....good luck this year hunting!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
All good stuff!
To illustrate how important form is,here is brother Drew drawing a whooping 30.5" out of his new bow:

Drew is very consistent and an outsider can see him draw exactly the same arra after arra.
I would kill for that power stroke

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
Now if I could just remember to follow through each shot. Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
Trust me Curt...My draw is over 29". At Tollgate I was in the middle of an extreme battle with target panic....most likely never reached full draw all day. Which is also why I shot a 130 or something like that. I can not shoot a 29" arrow if I do my part correctly. I have know Ken's problem for a while but he is shooting well, I kept my mouth shout till he asked out right. I shot with Ken and Charlie this afternoon and we all had our moments...some good ....some bad, but we had fun at the same time!   :saywhat:    :notworthy:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Ron, fun is the essence of the game! Hope to stumpshoot with you soon

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
Manny, Ken says your come'n down to hunt the Mountain.........I'll see you then!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©