3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: first pronghorn with a longbow...  (Read 1411 times)

Offline J. Adams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
first pronghorn with a longbow...
« on: August 06, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
Today was the first morning of my 2011 pronghorn hunt, so at 5:00AM I loaded up my best hunting buddy - my 7 year old son Connor - and we took a short 30 minute drive from our house to some State land east of Raton, NM.

After making a quick stop to get a McMuffin for my son, and topping off the fuel tank in my pickup in town, we made it to our favorite little chunk of State land by 6:00AM.

We unloaded from the pickup and started walking through the piñon and juniper, carefully minding our footsteps on the volcanic rocks.

While I was enjoying watching my son slip softly through the mix of piñon and rocks, the morning sun had broke through the cloud cover and I spotted six pronghorn feeding on the north slope of a hillside about 200 yards south of us.  My son took a quick peek through my binoculars and his smile confirmed what I could already see:  all six pronghorn feeding down the slope were bucks.

Having hunted this same spot for many years, I decided to try and get us to a little outcrop of rocks and piñon in front of where I hoped the bucks might travel - feeding down from the piñon to the shortgrass prairie.

We quickly started to make our way to that outcrop, and as I stepped out from behind a fat juniper, I saw the white rump of a lone buck feeding on grass less than 25 yards from me.  In my haste to get to that outcrop and ambush the six bucks that had my heart starting to beat a little more heavily, I had not seen this buck feeding in the draw below us.  

I motioned to Connor to stop and I mouthed the words "there's a buck" in the direction my finger was hurriedly pointing.  Connor stopped where he stood and flashed me a huge smile.  I started to sneak around the other side of the juniper, and as I peeked around I saw the buck was now standing broadside and looking up at me.

In retrospect, I think that because this was the first day of the archery hunt here, the buck just dismissed me and put his head back down to feed.

I took one large step to the side, came to full draw, and watched my cedar arrow slip into the buck right on his left shoulder.  The buck took off running down the grassy draw and from my vantage point I watched him disappear behind some juniper.

It was my son Connor who first saw the buck lying on its side, not 50 yards from where he took his last bite of grass.

This was my first pronghorn that I have ever taken with a longbow.  I bought a Kohannah Fury here on TradGang a few years ago, and used the advice gathered here to back my Fury with diamondback skins.  The fletched cedar shafts came from another fine TragGang member in the classifieds; come to think of it, the old green Bear Razorheads, my Kanati quiver, and the fanny pack resting above my rump all came from outstanding TradGang and TGMM members... So thanks to YOU guys/gals for helping outfit me for success.

Here are a few more moments from my hunt that I'd like to share with you:

In pronghorn country, expect a bovine audience to gather...

An old Razorhead still makes a lethal wound...

Over my right shoulder is the big juniper where the buck was feeding...

Josh
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: first pronghorn with a longbow...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
Congradulations sir, nice shot!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
awsome!!!!  thats a real good picture with the bow laying across your buck..... congratts sir!

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
Well Done!   :thumbsup:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Wonderful and congrats.  Really great that Connor was able to share this with you...  Well done
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
Nice hunt congrats,Conner looks happy,nice shooting.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline limbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 07:28:00 PM »
Nice buck and great memories with your little buddy,congrats.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
Great story,great pictures and .A big thanks for sharing with us and for including Connor so he can carry on our heritage
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline huntingarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
Great story,had the kid with you to boot.Great pics also.Its so hot and dry here it's hard to get in the hunting mood,waiting for Oct.Thanks for sharing...
IF MONEY TALKS MINE SAYS GOODBY

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 07:32:00 PM »
Congratulations on a great hunt!  Great story and looks like you have an excellent hunting partner.  I'd like to give that a try someday.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
That is one of the coolest hunting stories I've read in a while. That is a dream of mine to have my son with me on a kill. Congrats!!  :thumbsup:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline The Great Jashu

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
SWEET! That is an awsome story and an awesome animal. Pronghorns have the most distinct smell of any animal. I cant wait to get back out there to chase them someday.

I also appreciate the fact that you had so much help from the great people here. I too have encountered the same with a lot of my gear, most of it came from tradgang.
No hunter should feel guilty for killing a deer that doesnt meet someone else's expectations.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
Really nice hunt, goat and pictures! Congratulations on doing everything well, including the shot.   :thumbsup:

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
:clapper:    :clapper:  Josh,do you mind if I'm just a little envious?Congrats!
Bill

Offline toppredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
That's too cool.  Definately one of my bucket list hunts, Congratulations, nice goat.  TRW

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
AWESOME!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Great pics!! Congrats a very special time spent with your son never to be forgotten.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
Wow ,what a story! Congrats on a fine kill.Pumps me up as I wait on opening day.

Offline J. Adams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Thanks for all the comments.  Reading everyone's hunting stories here is always a pleasure, so I'm glad that I could share our hunt with you.

PS:
Connor is still grinning from ear to ear.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
good job!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©