3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help finding a place to hunt.  (Read 168 times)

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
Help finding a place to hunt.
« on: August 07, 2011, 05:34:00 AM »
Hey Gang, i am at the mercy of my work schedule again and would like to solicit some ideas on places to hunt this fall.  I am willing to travel.  Anything local would be great also.  

For the past 6.5 years i have lived away from the US for just over 5 years.  2 of the years i have spent away from my family.  During this time i have lost all of the local farms i hunt.  To top it off i seem to be gone every hunting season.  Don't get me wrong, i am not complaining.  I have been a very lucky man because of my TradGang family.  

Bottom line is that i am coming home in 17 days and will be home for 7 weeks.  Basically Sept until Oct 16th.  

I am wondering if anyone has some ideas on an Over the counter tag for Elk, Antelope or Mule deer and in what States and Sections.   I also know Montana has OTC tags for fall Bear too.  If you know any land owners that have short lease fees, or trespass fees, thats fine too.   And i am not totally set on those animals.  Really i am just trying to find a fun hunt to go on in the short amount of time i have.  
It seems i am drawing a blank and surfing the internet is extremely slow from where i am.   I figured the best place to start, i know, a little late, was with you guys.  

Thanks in advance and i look forward to hearing from you all.  

Jack
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Jeff Mundy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help finding a place to hunt.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
There's lots of public land just west of you. Maybe the game is not as exotic as western species but you wouldn't lose any days traveling & the license fees are much cheaper... just a thought.

Good luck either way.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Jack,

I hunted an OTC unit in the San Juan's last year.  Let me know if you want some info on it.  You can hunt up into some steep wilderness stuff in this unit so it might be a good fit for you.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 06:36:00 PM »
Hey Jeff, thanks for the input.  I most likely will head to the National Forest if i don't find something out of state.  If your up for a backpack hunt, give me a shout.  

Thanks for the info Duckbutt.  Somehow i missed your thread in 2010.  Looks beautiful.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeff Mundy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
Jack, I've been wanting to do a backpack hunt in the NF around here for a few years but I just don't have the time. I even have some spots picked out! I work out of the country so i'm gone half of the time (or more unfotunately). So when i'm home i've got to juggle family & hunting, which doesn't work too well on overnight hunts. One day though...

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »
Spot and stalk Montana Spring Bear and I'm your man Jack.  If you were to hunt fall bears in MT you would want to go very North west. I dont hunt fall bears however. Just too much other stuff going on.  Montana may not be the best state to hunt on short notice.  But if you decide to come this way for some sort of OTC tag be sure to let me know.
Best of Luck...

If I were you I'd line up a meat packer and then bivy type hunt somewhere around 4-5 miles into a OTC Colorado Elk unit.  You wont get better weather or a prettier place to be come September.

Then swing down to Texas for some pigs on the way home.  
     :archer2:

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
Man guys, i have been slacking.  Never even saw the last few entries.  So sorry.  

Jeff, thanks for the info.  I am the same as you.

Randy, great info too.  Man i wish i had been home in the spring.  I owe you an e-mail.  Thanks for the info.  Hope you are well.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©