3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help tuning POC to Hunter  (Read 275 times)

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
Need help tuning POC to Hunter
« on: August 07, 2011, 11:22:00 PM »
I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I can't get a Martin Howat Hunter to tune for me. Any ideas you all have would be great... Here's what I've got. It's an older Hunter, 50@28, with an 18 strand B50 and 4 spider silencers. I use rug rests. The arrows are 29", 11/32, 60-65, with 150 up front. I've also tried 28" with 150 up front.  According to Stu I should be right around 28" to match up, but even with one cut to that length, I cannot get consistent shots. I'm not Howard Hill by any means, but I've never struggled to get a bow to tune as much as this one. Any ideas?
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help tuning POC to Hunter
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
You don't say what your draw is but I imagine you are overspined and need to leave your arrows longer. I am guessing the bow is cut to center. See what happens with a full length shaft and go from there.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 07:16:00 AM »
My draw is 27". When I plug everything into Stus, it says I'm on the money or within range. I could try a 190 grain tip?
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
With the high strand count and two sets of silencers, the heavy string will slow down the arrow quite a bit, requiring less spine generally. More point weight might work.

Are you tying to bare shaft tune.  I've never found wood to work very well that way.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
I'm going to disagree with Bjorn. If the bow is actually 50# as marked and you are shooting 60-65 with 150 grain points I would suggest you are underspined. When I was making arrows I would add 10# for a center shot recurve, anorther 5# for the 25 grains over 125 on the head and another 5# for the extra inch. That would put you at 70-75# spine. And remember, Martin had a reputation for their bows actually being heavier than marked.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
What are the arrows showing you? Have you tried to paper tune or bare shaft? I Orion might have hit the problem on the head with the string. Also Bill has a good point with the poundage issue with some of the Martins.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »
It would be fun to find out what the spine issue might be I made my calculations like Bill; but discounted due to the string and silencers.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by snag:
What are the arrows showing you? Have you tried to paper tune or bare shaft? I Orion might have hit the problem on the head with the string. Also Bill has a good point with the poundage issue with some of the Martins.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
I don't believe you are over-spined. I had 30" cedars with 160 grain broadheads and points for my 60# Martin Hunter (63# at my draw), and I used 80/85# cedars. They shot well.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
If I were in your shoes:

1. go to a 125 tip and see what happens.

2. go to a 16 strand B50.

3. ditch the silencers until you get set up.

4. check and double check brace height. then check it again after shooting for a few minutes.

5. you don't mention it, but doublle nock your string with tied on string nocks. It helped my arrow flight immensely.

6. I'll back up what was said about full length and then cut to tune. It helped me with my Super Grizzly.

Keep us updated on your progress. I finally got good flight with woodies from my #50 @ 28 Bear. I shoot 60-65 Douglas Fir cut to 31.25 BOP with a 125gr tip and the same shaft at 29.5" with a 145gr tip. I draw 29". The longer one weighs 588gr. The shorter is 586gr.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
You got it nailed Bud. Seems we always are looking for the quick and easy. But starting from square one often times actually saves us time and heart burn!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
Gents thanks for the advice!! I finally just took some heavier spines arrows and put 190s and shot them. They hit way left or where I was looking. I then tested an arrow with the Stu calculations. Turned out to be 28" BOP, 150 grain tips. I also went to my faster B50 string... I believe it's 12 or 14 strands with beaver balls and set the brace to the lowest 7 1/4". Had good spine, no real fliers... But elevation was still off. For that I simply tried removing the match stick from my arrow rest. Then I got a good group. By the way, it's interesting to her that martins pull heavier than marked, this one has read 53# on the scale several times, but I always thought the calibration was off... Guess I was wrong!

Thanks again for all your help gents!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by mrpenguin:
... elevation was still off. For that I simply tried removing the match stick from my arrow rest...

...this one has read 53# on the scale several times, but I always thought the calibration was off... Guess I was wrong!...
1) I bet your nock is set too low rather than having a matchstick under the rug. These bows are designed to have a higher than normal nock placement.

2) I was going to mention this. Both Howatts I owned and weighed were exactly three pounds heavy. Every Hunter I have heard having been weighed was said to be three pounds heavy as well.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 08:22:00 PM »
Joshua, very interesting... You might be right... I did an experiment today and took the point weight down to 125. Everything tightened up even more pleasingly... I was shooting int he rain and took advantage by wetting the feathers down on one arrow, almost like a bare shaft. Spine looked perfect but it showed nock slightly low... I'm getting such nice flight now I may not mess with it, but I also was thinking if I moved the nock up a tad, it would likely show perfect flight! Plus, at 20 yds, the arrow went low... Which also makes me suspect low nock. Hmm. Think I'll move it tomorrow AM!
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Browning Wasp 50@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©