3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill's money bow, "White Eagle"  (Read 632 times)

Offline musicalguns

• Trad Bowhunter
Howard Hill's money bow, "White Eagle"
« on: August 04, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Here are a few pictures of Howard's "Money Bow," the one he used for a great deal of his exhibition shooting.....56# and not a great beauty, but loaded with archery history. See other articles re: this and Howard Hill Invitationaland Mrs. Ben Pearson on today's PowWow.  Enjoy

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: Howard Hill's money bow, "White Eagle"
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 10:33:00 PM »
Thanks for posting; it looks like Yew with fiber backing and glass on the belly. Dave, is the bow near you, and did you take these pics?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lambow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Dave, do you know what type laminations, riser, and fiber or glass is in that bow?

It appears to be bamboo lams, bamboo backed, and yellow belly glass.
Riser fade out lam of bamboo or light colored wood, and bubinga on top.

He didn't like leather strike plates, did he. You never see one on any of his bows.

Offline giff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
thanks for posting

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 11:16:00 PM »
White Eagle was 66" long, bamboo with white glass on the belly, and brown on the back. The white glass is yellow with age...so says John Lee
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Ron,

look at my "white eagle" model posted on the HH bug thread....

what you are saying coincides w/ my research and is what inspired that model...

Nate

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 08:39:00 AM »
I saw it Nate and it's a beauty. Making them the way Howard liked them is a tribute to him and keeps his spirit alive. Howard has inspired thousands over the years and continues to do so still today.
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Peter O. Stecher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
I got a "White Eagle" bow by Nate Steen, he made it to honor Howard Hills performance bow. I love it!  :)

Thanks Nate!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
Peter, I like this one,..looks like fun..   :clapper:

Offline Peter O. Stecher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
Hi Ron, thanks for compliments.  :o )  There is also a longer edition on youtube, look for that one:

That clips were made for promoting straight longbows and "Legends in Archery"....

I met Tim Cosgrove in Germany, we talked on you, he showed me photos with you and Jerry Hill.  :)
Best to Michigan!

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 09:33:00 AM »
Ron, that is one of the coolest videos I have ever watched!
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
That's great Peter, keep up the good work, that's what it's all about, promoting the sport.   :thumbsup:

Offline Peter O. Stecher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Thanks, will do!   :)

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
Nice job on the video.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
In many of the Short movie features that Howard did he incorporated some humor and sex appeal. I see that Peter has picked up on that.    :D   I think  it makes for a more entertaining presentation.

Years ago when I first started doing shooting demonstrations one of the things I would do was to tell of the audience about William Tell feat of shooting an apple off the head. I would then call for a volunteer to come up and let me duplicate the feat. Believe it or not occasionally someone would actually come up to participate. I would then say that I wanted to take a practice shot first and then I'd put the apple on top of a Styrofoam wig bust. Then I would drill the arrow right between the eyes. If the volunteer didn't run back into the crowd, I'd say, "Opps...oh well I think I can do it this time" and then if they still didn't chicken out I'd admit to them that I wasn't planning on doing it in the first place...    :D

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Howard was one heck of a shot and his style reaffirms to me how personal trad. archery is to each person in how they develop there on shooting style . Thats what seperates trad archery from the rest  and why I love it .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Peter O. Stecher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
Ron, you are right. Sorry for not beeing an American archer but use your icons for promotion, I wanted to honor that guys, I love that old archery movies of Howard Hill and other gentlemen. I wanted to put that spirit in that movie, I overdid the comic guy, and I overdid the cool guy a little, for comedian reasons..but I wanted to show the folks nowadays, that archery is not a freaks sport, but a gentlemans sport and also fun....like in the old days, when archery was an equal sport like golf or tennis.....

Ron, a very nice joke on stage, I can imagine that... :o ))))) I have learned also, not too much folks are afraid of an arrow....because they don't suspect how easy we are able to miss.... :o )))

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
No, Peter, you did it just right.  :thumbsup:  I love it.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Good video and shooting, Peter!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Aussie Stickbow Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 08:15:00 PM »
Enjoyed the video very much Peter!!!