3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whos going elk hunting?  (Read 1964 times)

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Whos going elk hunting?
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
Well i am!!!!!!! lol... i will be leaving Aug 25th and returning sep 10th i am so excited this is my 1st time to Elk hunt. i will be meeting my dad in denver. he lives about 1 hour outside of denver. he has a great place picked out for us. we will be packing in on the 26th and not commin out unitll september 9th or a dead elk is down.. what ever comes 1st. i can wait. i will be taking my BW recurve PSA 53lbs 600 grain arrow.

who else is going elk hunting this year and what are your bow specs?

good luck to all

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whos going elk hunting?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 10:23:00 AM »
My hunt starts Sept. 19.  Be my 25th+ elk season but I am still terribly antsy for it to get here.  Bow is 58# at my 31" draw with arrows around 575gr.  Good luck

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
1st time for me also.  In the 8th and out the 18th unless we all get an elk.  Using a Bighorn recurve, 51#s and 556 +/- grain arrow, 2 blade greenie razorheads with bleeders.

Back up bow is a 48# sister to the first
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »
1st time in CO this year also, 5 years doing DIY in Idaho and NM.  can't wait...packing and packing again!

55@28 bear TD, Doug fir 30" with grizz, eclipse, or old simmons interceptors...have not decided which will be primary yet but they are all very sharp and fly well!  Approx 650 grains.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
I'm going the same time you are...my First time for Elk.I'm taking my Holm-Made Osprey by Chad Holm. 52# @ 30" 600 gr. Cedars with 125 gr Ribteck up front! It's getting close now.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Yup, 50# Northern Mist Classic 600 gr cedars with 200 grizzlys. Hill T/D cheetah 53# 615 gr cedars 200 gr grizzlys

I use the T/D when I use my mountain bike.

Unguided public land CO.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 12:29:00 PM »
Headed to WY this year.  My first "premium" tag so my hopes are HIGH!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
You first timers I must warn you....once an elk hunter, always an elk hunter! This may be your first. But it won't be your last, guaranteed!
When that morning comes that you are in far and deep away from the world as you know it and you enter into the world of the wapiti and you hear his song echo off the canyon walls...you will understand! This is the hunting you've been looking for, have been yearning to experience...nothing like it baby! haha
I'm heading out of state to Utah with a limited entry tag in my pocket that took years to draw. Excited? You bet! Leaving on Aug. 30, staying until I kill a bull or until Sept.16th. Going with a great friend who is a good caller. I think he is as excited as I am. He said he had a dream that he called in a big bull, I shot it, and just when we were going to cut it up he woke up. Perfect timing, just when the work was about to begin!
56#@28" Blacktail Elite recurve, 585 gr Surewood Shaft douglas fir arrows, with 150gr Phoenix 3 blade single bevel, teflon-coated broadheads.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
Adam and I are headed to UT next week, Adam has a LE Youth Bull tag and I am OTC.  
We both shoot 50# ACS bows with Fir arrows and ABowyer heads-total weight is 625 gns. The only thing we are missing is a cooperative Elk.   :archer2:    :archer2:

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
To Northern Alberta with my son ,his friend and dad.Quading and Atv's 20+ miles into the bush for 1-1/2 weeks.In the mountains Sept.19th .coming out Oct.2 for Elk and Moose.What bow really not sure,probably FoxTD longbow,New Talon11 or My widowSA111 All 55-60# Cedars,Surewoods or Alum.all around 600gr.with Zwickey 4bl. or VPA term.3bl.200gr. CANNOT wait!
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Oh yea off to Idaho from opening day til close of bow season think that gives me like 32 days. For elk ,and deer done shot my 2 Idaho bears in the spring so more time for elk this year.Will pack in on foot for a week then out to hunt some private then back in a week then the last week on the private again.Bear T/D 67# at 30in , 700gr GT with RazorHeads or Simmons TreeSharks. Good luck to all and be SAFE,,,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline tomh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
I drew a cow tag in the Highwoods, and I am stoked!

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
i think alot of us are very jealous,  :wavey:  i know i am, god luck guys....take lots of pictures for us to drool over..

Offline BoonRoto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
I wish, good luck all!

Offline Ausable

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
I am. Colorado 9/16-9/24. Griffin 55@28, 600gr carbon tipped with WW/snuffer.
McCullough Griffin x 2
Meland Pronghorn
Morrison Shawnee
Migliorato Mohawk

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
If all goes as planned, I'll be in Colorado with my buddies the last week of September.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
We are having a Dryad Bows board meeting in Idaho the 2nd and 3rd week of September this year.  John Havard, Jason and I will be attending and discussing the new years objectives.  OH. . .maybe a little elk, deer, bear, cougar and grouse hunting will take place too.

Miek
Mike Westvang

Offline Owlgrowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
WY for me, Jackson Hole area, my kid lives there so I'll be taking a hot shower every night!! Hunting from the "road system" will be a different experience for sure. Leaving Aug. 20th, doing a little family vaca in the Libby, MT area, then down to WY for the Sept.1st opener, 'til about the 15th. Taking the old BW SA, 64# @ 29.5", GT 5575 tipped w/ 190 gr.WW elites = 575 gr. And my Predator, 54#, GT 3555, 190 gr. WW elites= 500 gr.
Bragging may not bring happiness,
but no man having caught a large fish,goes home through the alley.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
Back to familiar haunts in New Mexico for me this year.  I've fallen in love with the area and can't wait to get back!  I drew the second period - Sept. 16-22.  Things should be going hot and heavy right about then!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline hedgetree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 08:38:00 PM »
Headed to New Mexico for the first time. Will be shooting my Fedora #53 and WW heads. Never been in the area so the anticipation of hunting  someplace new is always exciting. Looking over maps and google earth makes your heart start to race.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©