3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Questions on new recurve?  (Read 241 times)

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions on new recurve?
« on: August 08, 2011, 01:41:00 PM »
All, I have purchased my first recurve bow this past weekend.  It is a Super Diablo in perfect condition and I really like it.   I have two questions and hope someone may be able to help me out.  First off, I would like to know anything about this bow like when it was made or how old it is.  Below is the information on the bow.

55# @ 28"
ESD 7215
AMO 60"

Super Diablo
USA Martin archery Inc in a circle with a deer picture.
Then has Damon Howatt signature on it.

Secondly, this bow seems to me to be very loud.  I had just gotten into Traditional archery last year and purchased my first longbow (Fox archery) which I love.  I thought i would try a recurve so purchased this one.  Never having one before this may be the nature of the beast but the recurve is so much louder than the longbow.  I do have string silencers on but that doesn't seem to help at all.  Not sure if it has to do with the wider limbs and the string slapping them but just really seems to be loud.  Is there anything that I can do to help this.

Thanks
Larry
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach that man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions on new recurve?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Sometimes you have to move the silencers up or down a little to get them to work better. Also start twisting that string and try several different brace heights. Start with a low height and start working your way up. You will find a sweet spot where your bow shoots the most quiet and smooth with less hand shock. Just go a couple twist on the string at a time and try it. You'll know when it starts to smooth out. Also use a fairly heavy arrow. 10-12 gr. per bow pound is a good range.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
If it was me, I'd put on a pair of yarn wool puffs on the bowstring and then keep adjusting the brace height somewhere between 7 1/4"-8".

BTW, I hope you've strung the bow with a dacron string.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
If it has its original string on it, there's a good chance that the loops are served with monofilament.  That is very noisy when it slaps the limbs at the end of the shot.  Nylon serving would be a little more quiet.  A flemish twist string even quieter.  Some folks wrap that area -- 5-6 inches from each string loop toward the center -- with wool yarn to quiet the string slap,and/or put some moleskin strips in the string grooves on the limbs. Regardless, the string slapping the limbs at the end of the shot is one of the differences between recurves and longbows.  For that reason, it's very difficult to get recurves as quiet as longbows.

Offline bansheewins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 07:42:00 AM »
Thank you for all the reply's I will work with the brace height for sure.  I do have another silly question and where exactly do you measure the brace height from?  I am not sure if it is the inside (toward string) of the grip or middle of shelf or where?  Thank you again for all your help.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach that man to fish and he will eat for a life time"

Offline Walter Mauney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 05:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by bansheewins:
Thank you for all the reply's I will work with the brace height for sure.  I do have another silly question and where exactly do you measure the brace height from?  I am not sure if it is the inside (toward string) of the grip or middle of shelf or where?  Thank you again for all your help.
From the string to the deepest part of the grip.
Yours truly,
Walter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©