3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: when bad things happen to good bows - (warning! graphic image content!)  (Read 1709 times)

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: when bad things happen to good bows - (warning! graphic image content!)
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Holy cow Rob! Those are indeed some graphic images. Sorry to hear about your loss!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2011, 09:20:00 PM »
Huntschool, you are on the right track. I have not seen all the steps on moving parcels, just the unloading of BMCs from the truck at the local post office. As a carrier, I have not seen the opportunity for such a mishap at the local level. I would have to really think hard and work even harder to do it with the equipment that I use daily. An engine of some sort would be a plus.

This looks like a large conveyance full of parcels was being moved, and this parcel slipped partway out somehow and got caught by a doorway or supporting structure. The particulars of handling large amounts of parcels between General Mail Facilities, as I said, I have not seen. My post office was closed and its operations were moved to a GMF, so I hope to learn more firsthand through observation once we settle in and get routines to be a little more.. uh, routine.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
thats a real bummer
whats it gonna take to safely ship a bow?
4x6 steel tubing with the end caps welded on

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
:(  I liked that bow... (And now a moment of silence)

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
KHALVERSON,
  Sounds like the best way but the Feds will be all over that one...They will think it's an  explosive device...  :scared:

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by KHALVERSON:
thats a real bummer
Don't know much about USPS, but UPS can destroy anything. You could cast your shipment inside an iron cannonball, and they could tear it up.

If you go look at the reviews for Lodge cast iron skillets on various sites, you will notice a lot of people receive them broken. It takes some effort to break a cast iron skillet.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
This completely sucks for both the seller and the buyer.  Looks to me like the tube was pinned behind something very large and heavy and yanked on REALLY hard to pull it out.  Or it was used as a prybar, which is unfortunately possible as well.  

The real question is why was "Sheba" in the mail to begin with, Rob?  You were so pumped when she arrived not all that long ago.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
Hey Rob, I noticed in product review a thread about a Bambahunter L/b. can we make a deal? Thanks for everything Burt
R/D's soon to come

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by mrjsl:

Originally posted by KHALVERSON:
thats a real bummer
Don't know much about USPS, but UPS can destroy anything. You could cast your shipment inside an iron cannonball, and they could tear it up.

If you go look at the reviews for Lodge cast iron skillets on various sites, you will notice a lot of people receive them broken. It takes some effort to break a cast iron skillet. [/b]
Yup, that's how the first atom was split.
 Someone shipped it via UPS

Damn Rob. Sorry to see that happen, man.

It'd take machinery, ingenuity & a decent amount of time to kink sch40, especially with a broom handle inside it
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
That's amazing. It looks as if they must have done that on purpose to cause thay kind of damage. Tragic.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
I am sick looking at those pictures.  Hope that it isn't too much of a headache on the insurance claim.

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
Unbelieveable!!!  Hate to see that, I would expect that to happen with cardboard, but man, pvc.
Heres hoping all works out for ya.

Eric.

Offline portugeejn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Marketing decision.  It is cheaper for UPS to (slowly) pay the occasional claim, than it is for them to slow down and take care.  Kind of like  settling out of court, because it is cheaper in the long run.

That said, it is too bad a future classic collectible is now DOA.

RonP

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
Makes you wonder if you would be better off with a flimsy cardboard box with FRAGILE stamped all over it.   :dunno:   I am sure someone handling a PVC tube wouldn’t give much thought to being too awful careful with it. I feel reasonably safe with USPS based on experience, but with UPS, again based on experience, I just figure better packing equals a bigger challenge to trash it.  

I have never used the sch 40 foam core, but that sure would explain it.  I have been in construction 35 years, and have never seen that with std sch 40 even when run over by dozers and heavy trucks.  Now I have also worked with the gray electrical PVC conduit. That will bend some and when heated can be bent a lot.  Maybe it sat in a hot trailer out on the pavement for a day or so in some of this really hot temps with something heavy setting on it or something. It could be some made in China PVC pipe.  :rolleyes:
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
that kind of stuff just pisses me off in about 6 different ways.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
Good luck with insurance.  It is sort of like dealing with health insurance claims - a run around.  If I've ever seen a case they can't get around it's this one.  I lost out on some broken arrows and after that horrendous experience have always thought insurance was a rip-off (it's always the packaging or you can't prove if something is lost).

I just got a bow last week and even though well packaged the whole end of the box came crushed - thank God when I opened it the bow was pushed against the other end and it was on the backside of the curve (and was well wrapped inside).  I thought it was a goner looking at the box.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2011, 12:16:00 AM »
What a joke, just shows how little the people working there care when they break it and put it back in the line.
I'm really scared now my Miller longbow is on its way via UPS and I just found out they lost my shipping details, if it turns up looking like that it wont be all they lose.      :mad:      :deadhorse:

Offline josef2424

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2011, 12:50:00 AM »
wow thats shocking
Carnivores.....UNITE!!

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2011, 05:45:00 AM »
each of us has to ask the question "how much protection for shipping a stick bow is required?"

imo, even the thinner drainpipe pvc will be more than enuf to handle getting thrown around, slammed about and dropped from the top of a loading dock.  a cardboard box (rectangular or triangular) couldn't handle that kinda abuse for very long.  what happened in this case goes far beyond "mishandling".  this wasn't a fender bender, it was head on collision at highway speeds.  you'd think shipping vendors would take a tad more care.  

but what really galls me is they KNEW that THEY destroyed a solid, darned tuff shipping container, and the goods inside, and they still have the NERVE to actually deliver it as if nothing happened.  

now that's gotta tell ya something about the us postal service - and the state of business in this current economy.  i used to hold the usps a tad higher than the rest of those shippers.      :banghead:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2011, 07:00:00 AM »
Sorry about your bow Rob.

It seems like someone would almost have to put in deliberate effort to damage that tube like that.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©