3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Survival Hunt  (Read 288 times)

Offline huntingwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
Survival Hunt
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:57:00 PM »
Has anyone done a survival hunt, and if so what did you take and what di you use from what mother nature provides. and would you do it again?

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Survival Hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
I've want to try this one day, bet someone has really good tales.   :campfire:

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
If you haven't read "Ishi and Elvis" by Jimm Hamm yet, he briefly discusses such a hunt he went on with the brothers Crow.  It doesn't delve into too much detail, but the book is an excellent read anyway.  

I haven't done one yet, thought I plan to to a moderate degree.
Silence is golden.

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
Don't know how many of yall have read "Woodcraft and Camping" by Nessmuck but I would really like to try a trip like he made in that book. Roughly 60 miles through the wilderness with minimum gear. I have made small trips with very little gear but would like to be able to stay out longer. Chris

Offline swampmaster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
i too have wanted to try this. making a trek from point A to point B. of course i would use a gps. carry the bare essentials and eat what you can hunt or catch.  maybe someday.

jim

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
Haven't done a take no food hunt before.  The most I've done is a minamlist hunt with tarp, sleeping bag, backpack, cookset, NO gas or propane stove. Other asorted gear. Took food:  One MRE per day and tea and honey.  Took my 20ga single shot and a .22 handgun.  Went to northern MN on a hiking trail in the BWCWA, first weekend in October, shot some grouse and a few spruce grouse, they made nice dinner fare, got one one way out I was able to bring home.  Hope to do it again this fall, depending upon work and family....

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 11:25:00 AM »
I'd love to do one someday.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
Not trying to put a downer on a cool thread,but
if our politicians keep it up we might all be on
survival hunts! LOL! I got lost in the woods bad
once. Thought my way to civilization after a few
hours,but survival skills are paramount when needed. GREAT thing to practice on,thanks huntingwolf.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
In late 1960's I was stranded over night in the mountains of Virginia while grouse hunting.  I ghad two English Setters with me and had shot two grouse that afternoon.

I got on the side of a ridge with lots of evergreens away from the wind,cleared a place beneath a large cedar, cut a few branches and made a "cave" within the the tree itself.  Built a fire, roasted one of the grouse (tough as leather LOL) and with a dog at each side, spent a manageable but not particularly comfortable night in the National Forest.

Getting close to 50 years ago now and while I wouldn't seek that experience out at my age today, I am glad I had it back then.  Makes for a great story to tell my grandkids.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
When I was kid it was nothing to be gone for days in the summer with a .22 and fishing pole. We would cook squirrels over the fire and cook fish in a pop can. I carried a small backpack that a sleeping bag would fit in, wooden matches and a knife. How times have changed. I would be worried to death if my kids did that.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »
Couple of years ago I had the fabulous idea to carry a little bag/pack/haversack thing so I could grab it and go. All my essentials inside. Compass, large knife (carry a folder in my pocket), extra batteries, etc.

Well, right after I put this plan into action, I take my son and his friend coon hunting. First hunt of the year, had a young dog 9 months old, and it's hot and muggy and wet - in September.

We go down to one of the biggest swamps in LA, release the hounds, and follow them in the truck a little ways. They go off in the woods and strike, then tree.

Well we had stopped to listen they weren't far off the road so off we go, except while we were listening I set that handy bag on the hood of the truck, and that's where it stayed till I next saw it at 7:30 the next morning. Cloudy night, extremely thick swamp, essentially with no compass you ain't coming out of there at all. We had no phone either because the woods were so wet we had left them. Never caught up with the dogs till the next morning either - young dog was trashing off on something all night.

About the most uncomfortable night I've ever spent. Everything I could have used was in the bag, except a Case Stockman and a 22 pistol. Killed 4 cottonmouths and millions of mosquitos.

I still use the bag idea, but now I also have compass hanging around neck. We were less than a mile from the truck. With compass could have got out in less than an hour. With no compass, can never come out till first light.

I will say that my son's friend, who was kind of a city kid, had his dad take him to town the next day so he could buy himself a compass... lol - lesson learned.

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
i think this is kinda my dream hunt, but floating down the river for days and setting up a camp every few days or so, ....but i still havent done it,..someday!!

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
In 1968 I went Wolf hunting in Quebec, I ended up on the wrong side of the lake when the sun was going down. In my hurry to get back to the hotel ( bar ) I fell through the ice and got wet up to my hips, the water soon froze. By then it was dark so I wandered around for a while until I came across a cabin. The door was locked so I broke the window, inside was dry wood, canned soup ( cans were frozen ), and Matches! I was able to dry my clothes, eat and sleep. I left a note but never heard from anyone. I'm very grateful for that cabin.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 05:12:00 PM »
The thing with 'survival hunts', unfortunately, is that most don't.

Nessmuk's trek, don't forget, was made in a time when game was a LOT more prevalent & hunting seasons hadn't been though of.

It's a fantastic, romantic thought, but as a practical venture I wouldn't want to do it myself.

If you do intend to do it, one thing I'd like to suggest; Put some weight on before you go! Physically fit people die of starvation much quicker than us plumpers  ;)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
There is a place you could do it near me, canoe trip, very remote, good hunting. You'd need to fish to be self sufficient though. I make the trip a lot and always consider setting lines for catfish - that would be the way to go.

I'm not good enough to depend on my bow for dinner, but I can catch enough fish to feed myself.

Offline Stiks-n-Strings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
The whole canoe trip sounds like a blast as does a little (survival practice) trip. I try to practice my practical survival skills every time I camp like fire building and such. I carry a little pouch in my pack that has essential survival gear for a night out in the woods including enough food and water for at least two calorie packed meals. Don't want to be lost and hungry. I have been thinking about a kifaru paratarp to add to my pack with stove and annex.

Stiks
Striker stinger 58" 55# @ 28
any wood bow I pick off the rack.
 2 Cor. 10:4
 TGMM Family of The Bow
 MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
I think Sam Fadala Talks about doing this type of thing years ago. I will see if I can find anything. I think it would be great to do. I bet it will be only a short time before a guy will find out how much he don't know about surviving.
Better practice.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline FarmerMarley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 06:52:00 PM »
I've been wanting to do something like this for a while. I try to practice my survival skills on the property where I live, but it just sure AIN't the same AT ALL. That is for sure.

A lot of it is psychological. When you know that you can just give up and go inside the warm, dry house, sit down on a soft chair and eat some prepared food then the psychological part is not there at all. Humans are inherently lazy  :)

Offline JDeanP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
You should look up Art Young's trip through Alaska. There's a video of it I posted a ways back:  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=093343
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..."

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
My brother did this a few weeks ago.  No legal game was available but they did find some frogs and cattail root.  Wild onions made for a stew of sorts.  They did have a tarp but it rained on them all weekend.  They made it for 2 days and a 10 mile hike.  I don't think they would call it fun.  I want to do the whole 58 mile Knobstone Trail in Southern Indiana with just a survival kit.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©