3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: is my son to young to go?  (Read 444 times)

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
is my son to young to go?
« on: August 09, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
i have been wanting to take my 5yr. old deer hunting. he started going squirrel hunting with me last year but this season i wanna try to take him for deer. i only hunt on the ground, so we will be in a pop-up blind. he really wants to go but im afraid if we dont see anything he will loose interest quickly. any tips or advice? i know i could carry his nintendo ds but that would be cheating,right:)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: is my son to young to go?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
I say cheat away man.  Nothing like spending time with your son.

Bring nintendo AND lots of snacks.  A pillow and blanket for sleeping too.

But understand that he will make noise, he may want to go home, and man will he want to talk.  Enjoy it all man!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
Take lots of snacks, his DS, and anything else to keep his attention for a while. Don't expect to sit more than a couple hours at the most.

The first time I took my son (he was 5 also), I never knew I could say "hush Evan" so many times in one hour!   :biglaugh:

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 12:09:00 PM »
If it's about spending that time with your son then I'd say take him but let him be the barometer of when to call it for the day.

My 2 cents worth.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
Get a good headset for the DS for him. It will greatly cut down on noise. You won't be hunting 95% of the time, but you will be bonding.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
yep i think thats what i'll do, pack in a bunch of stuff for entertainment. another thing is he wants to bring his longbow...i told him he could but he couldnt shoot an animal yet because the bow isnt heavy enough....he just said" well let me use yours when we see a deer" haha!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
Do him and yourself a favor and bring him for walk hunts and maybe 30 min blind hunts. It takes a lot of discipline to sit in a blind for an extended period even for an adult.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
I was taking my son hunting (watching only) when he was 4 years old, mostly squirrel hunting like you. He loved it. Today he is 32 years old and my best hunting buddy.

He didn't start actually shooting until 9 years old -- again squirrels. I wanted him to be able to hold and safely operate the gun. In fact, for two years I didn't take a gun as I focused entirely on his safety and education in the squirrel woods.

He began shooting a bow at 4 and going to 3-D shoots at 5. Indaina State champ at 8 years old (Bowhunter Round-Up 12 and under). He was "ready" to bow hunt deer when he was 12 but we lived in Kansas at that time and the law didn't allow a youngster (at that time) under 14 to hunt deer. We moved to Missouri and at age 13 he bow-killed the first deer he shot at on opening evening. I witnessed the whole thing from 20 yards away.

My grandson has been a different matter.  He sat in a ground blind (went to sleep) at 4 years old. At 5 years old he was in my ground blind when the largest live deer I ever saw in KY walked by -- my buck tag was already filled. He needed to go home after less than an hour in the blind. He had very little interest in the hunt.

He is 8 this year and he'll be going along again as an observer.

The youngster must want to go. He/she must be kept comfortable. Try to prevent boredom from dominating the experience -- be ready to end the hunt before that happens.

Talking to the youngster about possible outcomes of the hunt (see nothing, miss a shot, kill the animal, wound, etc.)is important. I wouldn't force any part of the experience, especially field dressing on the youngster until they are ready (when they say they are, not when we think they should be).

These early experiences are important. They can have much influence on the youngster's reaction to hunting in the future. You can end up closer to your children than most non-hunting parents ever imagine. Or, your child could resent hunting if he/she doesn't like it and hunting steals you from him or her.

I know for some of us it seems implausible that the hunt could be boring to our youngsters. I sometimes get bored hunting. However, I have past hunts to think about and know that at any time inaction can be interrupted with the most exciting moments of my life. The youngster doesn't have that memory bank to keep them fired up.

I've known some folks who tried to force the issue too much and turned their kids off hunting. That's too bad because hunting is a very positive life experience for most folks.

One more tip. When the child asks to go (son or daughter) make it happen as soon as you can!

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
I think i pushed my first son a little to early and he lost his want to go.

I waited untill he REALLY wanted to go before i took him deerhunting with me and at 12 or so he got it back. He's a real shooter now and turning into a bowhunter.

I hope it works out for you. God Bless.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 12:24:00 PM »
My answer is TAKE HIM OUT and watch them get pumped so its time to fuel the fire.I sent you pictures of my sons hunts from 4-9 years old he has taken 5 deer, groundhogs,squirrels,And a hog last week.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline Carbonkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
he is definitely interested in going. here is a pic of his first animal taken this past spring:) he was tickled over his trophy...but i think i was more proud

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
A lot of quality time and fun in store for both of you!  According to the Outdoor Writer's Association, only 25% of the children of hunters become hunters these days.

Offline JSMOFFITT03

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
At 5, I would say keep it short and sweet.  Make it as interesting as possible, make up some games or let him play with  his DS......

Just dont be bumed if you dont see anything...

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
Great picture and yes the ds really helps them pass the time.And bring plenty of snacks.Good luck.
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline CEW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
My boys started coming Deer hunting when they were 6. As said above keep it short, If they are ready to go, go. It's about enjoying the woods with them. Not getting a deer. Just seeing wildlife made them glad them came so talk up any, birds, bugs, squirrels... whatever, activity in the area, what is sometimes mundane to us can be fun for them.

Offline CEW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
My boys started coming Deer hunting when they were 6. As said above keep it short, If they are ready to go, go. It's about enjoying the woods with them. Not getting a deer. Just seeing wildlife made them glad them came so talk up any, birds, bugs, squirrels... whatever, activity in the area, what is sometimes mundane to us can be fun for them.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
i was younger than that when my dad was watching deer and elk run away because I would not be quiet. He never stoped taking me. I will never forget it or thank him enough. Neither will your son.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
brandon take that boy with you!

i started dove hunting with my dad when i was 4 or 5. i made a great bird dog! take lots of snack and drinks. make it fun.

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Kids are a lot like dogs.  Stop a activity while they are still very excited if you want them to retain that excitement.  Don't wait until they are bored.

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
i killed my 1st deer with a 4-10 slug when i was 6... belive it or not i was sitting by myself when i shot the deer.  my dad made a little deer drive where we would alwayse bump deer across this loggin road. big doe ran across the road 10 yards infront of me. i pulled that little gun up and popped her right behind the shoulder!! lol.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©