3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stumping and reflecting on Alaska  (Read 342 times)

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Stumping and reflecting on Alaska
« on: August 09, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »
I am writing this from a national forest campground on Wrangell Island; this spot is among the most beautiful places that I have ever camped, and that is from someone who has camped all over the US and Canada. I am looking down on a channel of the inside passage, with another island across the way that has peaks above timberline; no doubt a place that mountain goats reside. Where we are camping, I picked fresh blueberries each day for cobbler and pancakes; those were the ones that didn't get eaten as I picked. The hill by camp is absolutely alive with berries, and if the bears didn't have so many salmon to eat, they would be in here right now.
As our 2 month trip winds down from camping in the Great Land, we have found some favorite spots. Although I expected to like the interior the most (and Denali was spectacular, as was the rest of the Alaska Range), the southeast coast has been the best of the best, at least for us. The area around Anchorage, although tremendously scenic, is very crowded, and my concept of Alaska is 'no crowds'. The southeast coastal towns are much more to my liking; small, friendly, and laid back. We particularly enjoyed Haines, Petersburg, and Wrangell. These places are what we expected of Alaskan communities.
Wildlife viewing was a major reason to visit Alaska, and with the exception of not seeing one mature bull moose, we weren't disappointed. Denali gave us great looks at grizzlies, caribou, dall sheep, ptarmigan, one wolf, and lots of cow and calf moose. Ocean trips showed us harbor seals, stellar sea lions, humpback whales, mountain goats, killer whales, and literally millions of sea birds. We saw brown bears and black bears by the bunches.  Eagles are everywhere there is a body of water. It doesn't get any better than Alaska for seeing critters.
I have a whole new respect for those who hunt Alaska. Although the mountains are STRAIGHT UP, and covered with the most dense forest imaginable. Everything is wet and soggy, and muskeg is like walking on a sponge. If you haven't been here and are thinking about hunting the great north, it would be a good idea to be in the absolute best shape of your life. Hunting in the Rockies is tough, but would be a cake walk in comparison to much of what we saw in Alaska.
There is very little access by road in comparison to the lower 48. Hunting for most species would entail boat or float plane to get there. Weather, at least for us, was drenching rain for most days. Sunshine was in short supply. A hunting trip would necessitate raingear of the highest quality, and even then, you almost always feel waterlogged. Nothing stays dry for long.
The country is so big and vast that it is hard to get your head around it. It just goes on and on forever, and a wilderness camp in Alaska is the definition of wilderness. A bear in camp, a broken bone, even a twisted ankle, and you could be in a life threatening situation. This is NOT a place for wimps.
So, as we head south in the next couple of days, we know that even with $12 hamburgers, unrelenting rain, forests where you can't see 10 yards in front of you, and scary gas prices, that we will have to come back. The Last Frontier is a place that anyone who loves the outdoors MUST do in their lifetime. I love Wyoming and the Rockes, but there is something about Alaska that beckons you back. I will return, but until then, I will have photos and memories to reflect on.

Stump shooting on Wrangell Island

Black bear fishing; this is Alaska at it's best

Brown bear; she had cubs and is not to be trifled with

old Sitka spruce trees make for great targets on the islands.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Stumping and reflecting on Alaska
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Very  nice.  Thanks for sharing. I've been to Alaska a few times, though didn't travel it as extensively as you did.  I agree with your assessment all the way around.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your adventure with us sir!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 08:33:00 PM »
My wife and went up for our 30'th anniversary in '07.We did the cruise thing with both land and sea. Not as long as your adventure but you said it all.....breath taking!! Went Kayaking, hiking, and just saw some of the most beautiful country in the world! Thanks for taking me back!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Great pictures!! Thank you for sharing.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 08:36:00 PM »
I've camped there, too.  Of course it was raining the entire 2 weeks.  Beautiful country.

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
It is awesome!!
We went in '84. Landed at Fairbanks, stayed with my sister and brother-in-law at Eielson AFB. Took the western route down to Anchorage then on to Seward and took eastern route back up. 2 weeks wasn't enough time. Enjoyed every minute.

I love Colorado but it can't hold a candle to Alaska. And, yes, from a good vantage point it just goes on and on and on.

Good for you! Great trip and thanks for sharing.
Romans 8:28

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 08:48:00 PM »
Fantastic trip,thanks ever so much for sharing,looks like your giving the Thunderchild a good workout,all the best!
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline alex m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
Thanks, Centaur.Alaska's the only State I haven't visited yet.  You've inspired me to start planning a trip there.  Alex
The unknown wilderness has said to me: “Come sit in our green shade and commune with the Great Spirit in our leafy cathedrals while the choirs of bird-song fill your ears.” –Howard Hill

Offline JJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Great pictures, thanks for sharing it all with us.  I've never been there yet but would like to some day.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 09:37:00 PM »
Thank you Sir for taking us there!
I'll be going to Alaska in 2013, and I'm already dreaming of it every day!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Todd Alexander

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Great reflections.  Hunted the Moose John with Ernie Holland in '08.
You're descriptions took me back.  The only place I ever really felt like the civilized world was light years away.  Everyone should be experience that once.
"If ya gotta be stupid, ya gotta be tough"

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Can't wait for my return to Alaska in less than 10 days.

Offline Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your trip and your observations.
    We have been to Alaska a few times and spent time in several different areas,.
 Southeast Alaska and the inside passage are our favorite as well.
    I tell everyone pictures don't do it justice you have to experience the vastness of the land.

Thanks for taking me back for a few minutes.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
The folks who currently live in Anchorage will probably want to thump me with a blunt for posting this, but here goes.

Anchorage is adjacent to  Chugach State Park  and the Chugach Mountains. (Actually, the park is within the municipal boundary.) This park is 500,000 acres of wilderness that in the Lower 48 would easily qualify as a national park. It has, in no particular order, glaciers, moose, brown/grizzly bears, black bears, wolves, wolverines, Dall sheep, hiking trails, campgrounds, cabins, and many other things of interest to outdoors-oriented people like us. One of my favorite memories is riding my bike south from our Anchorage home down along Turnagain Arm and seeing Dall rams on the cliffs next to the road (about 200 feet above me) and beluga whales in the water alongside me -- simultaneously. (Yes, I know the belugas are now much diminished, but the sheep still show up there regularly at certain times of the year.)

My point is that you can have a jaw-dropping Alaska wilderness experience without breaking the bank on additional transportation expenses once you get to Anchorage. The park is somewhat heavily used on its urban-facing fringe but far less as you go deeper into its backcountry.

Wherever in Alaska you are thinking of going, my number one recommendation is to buy a copy of  The Milepost . This is the single best guide to Alaska and the adjacent Canadian provinces, as well as being one of the best travel guides for any area on the planet. My number two recommendation: Don't put off the trip to "someday". Make it happen. And always have your binoculars with you when you do.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 05:48:00 AM »
great stuff there.

would love to one day hunt alaska.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 07:22:00 AM »
"Alaska",just saying the name sends a thrill down ones spine! Wish I lived there or B.C. either would be great!  :thumbsup:

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
I leave for Lake Eva on Baranof Island on Sunday.

The main goal is sockeye with a flyrod, but I'm bringing my bow and grabbed a small game license for kicks.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Awesome! Thanks for sharing.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline J. Adams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
Pat!
Hope you have a safe trip home to Wyoming! Thanks for sharing with us.  Looks like you are having a blast up there!
Josh
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©