3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how do you handle pratice an your teen  (Read 388 times)

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how do you handle pratice an your teen
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
I've always been a firm believer that you work on form at a blank bale, learn your arrow trajectory and sight picture on the 3D course, and learn about picking a spot and concentrating on that spot on the line shooting targets.  

but this is what you should do for fun and practice all year preparing for hunting season...

i like the the tennis ball game, an the stuffed animal safari in the yard sounds like a hoot....but I'm a believer in getting your hunting set up dialed in and your quiver loaded at least 2-3 weeks before your season opens, and shoot only that bow with broadheads, and only 2-3 arrows a day.

i keep a 3D deer set up in the back corner of my shooting area. I stalk the deer from different angles each morning, and take one shot only...at noon, and in the evening i do it from a different angle at different yardage...... by this time of year you are either ready, or you are not, and it's the first shot that counts.

I've used life size deer targets on foam blocks too.... if you want to shoot more, go pull that arrow, and shoot again after stalking to a different angle.

i don't do a lot of tree stand hunting so i have no recommendations there. it all boils down to you are either ready, or you are not.

as far as encouraging teen age boys to go hunting.... i believe your success is going to depend on which way the wind is blowing.... a little perfume and a short skirt will trump elk urine and spotting critters in the woods every time..... good luck to you on that one bro...   ;)

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:
I've always been a firm believer that you work on form at a blank bale, learn your arrow trajectory and sight picture on the 3D course, and learn about picking a spot and concentrating on that spot on the line shooting targets.  

but this is what you should do for fun and practice all year preparing for hunting season...

i like the the tennis ball game, an the stuffed animal safari in the yard sounds like a hoot....but I'm a believer in getting your hunting set up dialed in and your quiver loaded at least 2-3 weeks before your season opens, and shoot only that bow with broadheads, and only 2-3 arrows a day.

i keep a 3D deer set up in the back corner of my shooting area. I stalk the deer from different angles each morning, and take one shot only...at noon, and in the evening i do it from a different angle at different yardage...... by this time of year you are either ready, or you are not, and it's the first shot that counts.

I've used life size deer targets on foam blocks too.... if you want to shoot more, go pull that arrow, and shoot again after stalking to a different angle.

i don't do a lot of tree stand hunting so i have no recommendations there. it all boils down to you are either ready, or you are not.

as far as encouraging teen age boys to go hunting.... i believe your success is going to depend on which way the wind is blowing.... a little perfume and a short skirt will trump elk urine and spotting critters in the woods every time..... good luck to you on that one bro...    ;)  
Someone say short skirt???    :bigsmyl:  

I made it clear to my GF October-December is my time. The rest of the year is hers.   :D
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
I never hit said stage, When i was little dad said i once shot absolutely daylight to dark, only stopping to pee. I was always a weird kid i guess lol. I met my now GF of 5 years in 8th grade, handed her a bow, and shes been my hunting partner ever since, well her and dad. I am now 19 and still obssesed with archery. Now my little brother on the other hand started hunting at the same age i did, Right now though he reminds me of that half-retarded spike, running around like an idiot looking for love with everything with 4 legs. I just hope hes not like 90% of spikes around here, cause somebody will shoot him lol.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline park

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
I don't believe in putting any restictions on childrens hunting or adults for that matter.When I was his age we would get out our bows 2 weeks before the season and just try to hit close to where the kill zone is.It was all about fun and not because we had to.I dont believe in form or anything except for target shooting because your trying to hit a small dot 70 yards away so it probably helps.Does that mean you have to be a target shooter to kill deer?The more he hunts the more he will feel the need to practice.There are much more important things to teach him in the woods that have nothing to do with hunting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©