3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Questions about silencing string??  (Read 318 times)

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
Questions about silencing string??
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
Ok, I have had several sbd's and know that they are considerably quieter than my factory strings.  

My dilemma is this.  I am currently shooting a stock 16 strand widow string with spiders.  Is there a way that I can get this string as quiet as say a 10 strand custom stacey or sbd.  I do not want to start over with my shafts.  My widow is shooting straight and everything is spined right.  I know if I change strings that I am gonna at least buy 2 so I will have a back up, and probly gonna end up spending more money than I want re-tuning my bow because I will need new arrows if I need to cut anything.  Mine are already as short as I can go for broadhead clearance.

Ok, has anyone proven a method for silencing the 16 stranders equal to the smaller strand strings?

Thanks in advance.
I like Spurs

Morrison Mini ILF copperhead skinned
Morrison Shawnee copperhead skinned

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Questions about silencing string??
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
A few things I would do first:

1. Dump the widow spiders, they've never worked on any BW I've shot or owned.
2. Remove your string from the bow, lay it flat and measure the length, end of loop to end of loop.
3. Divide that length by 4.
4. Measure that distance from the end of the loops down the string and mark that spot with a Sharpie pen. This is where you will place the silencers.
5. Purchase a few sets of silencers from Bow Hush and install them where you've marked the string.

This and a heavy arrow will get you a long way down the quiet bow road.

My .02 worth,
Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
The best thing that has worked on my Widows, other than what Danny has mentioned, is I use Cat Wiskers on my Widows. I love and use Bow Hush on every other bow but Cat Wiskers on Widows. I do wrap my string ends with Terry's wool on Widows.  

If it was me though, I would get rid of the 16 strand string if I planned on using that bow very much. Getting the same performance "and" quiet out of a 16 stands vs an 8 strand is not going to happen very easily.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
A pair of home made yarn wool puffs works better than cat whiskers in my opinion. My "ears" tell me so since I've used both and prefer puffs.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
I'm not a fan of the Widow spider silencers either. I use whiskers on most of my bows (all brands).  However, I think the quietest bow I have is a Super Wildcat made by Brandon Stahl that came with wool puffs on the string.

Funny thing, these wool puffs were very common back in the late 60's and early 70's when I last shot recurves. I don't know why I haven't turned to them more than I have.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
I used to use catwhisker but have changed  to wool puffs.. On my 58" PSA i used wool yarn wrap from the loops to the end of the twist and 2 puff walls.. it was super quiet
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 01:24:00 AM »
Wool is a great silencing material. You could de tune the SBD strings by raising the brace height till the arrows fly the same as they did with the fat widow string.

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
I appreciate all of the advice.  I will try and silence the 16 strand first since I don't want to change my arrows.  I am shooting about a 675 gpp arrow.  I have never shot an sbd on a widow.  I will have to go at least 10 strand or bigger because most string guys say it must be 10 or bigger on  anything larger than 55lbs.  Hopefully can silence with the wool. If not then I will get a pierre or stacey string for the bow.
I like Spurs

Offline sunshine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
i know mounting things on the limbs are not for everyone, but i just tried the stiktamers. they seem to quiet string noise some too. not to expensive and worth a try. i like them so far.
Life is short.....eat dessert first!!!

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »
I just got the stiktamers also, put them on my
howatt hunter and I was impressed. Three Rivers
has them and they are pretty cheap for what they do.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 05:28:00 AM »
Wool puffs as mentioned and wrap the Y yoke of the string loop down past the string grooves with wool yarn..Also if you shoot split do a tie on nocking point above and below the arrow nock...There is a picture demostration on how easy it is to do all these things mentioned on the Know How section here on Tradgang....Keefer's

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
I've tried everything except a Bowhush, and I have some of those on the way now to take care of a little low "thump" as my string slaps the recurve. Not sure if I can get it any quieter than it already is but I figure why not? I shoot 14 strand D-97, I'm not sure it matters. But the best thing that works for me is plain ol' wool puff balls placed right where Ric O said.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline TRADSTYK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
The STIKTAMERS DO WORK WELL!  nothind else on my curves.

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
Sell your widow and get a Shawnee! !!bahahaha
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Spurs:
...or stacey string for the bow.
Josh made me a 450+ skinny string and it is just a fantastic string and string material. I could tell right away that it was quieter. It has a "softer" feel on release which I really like.
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline RUTANDSTRUT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
bow hush and hush puppy string silencers.  it will make your string dead quiet and looks great too.

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 02:38:00 PM »
Ok gonna try wool.  Been to hobby lobby, and two fabric stores in town and no one has wool yarn?  Where do you guys get it.

And Dave,  as for Shawnee been there done that, would gladly go back, it would have to gain about 4lbs to ever get my consideration over a widow.
I like Spurs

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
Got mine at  a place called Miichaels a few hours ago..I had 100% fishermens wool yarn in a heather color and just took it back and got Lion's brand yarn with 20% wool and 80 % arcrylic... Does the same thing and I got the charcoal with a bigger roundness...If you want some send me a p.m. and I'll be happy to help ya...God Bless, Keefer's <><

Offline Spurs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
Thanks Keefer, I took a trip to wal mart today and bought the same stuff on clearance for 2.50.  I never new that you could make a widow this quiet.  It's awesome.  Thanks for the help.
I like Spurs

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Best thing for a Widow recurve, a skinny string, took me 20 years to realize this, they are loud, but what a difference this string made paired up with some wool puffs ... B/W 's a Bow co. not much on the strings though ... Good Luck ...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©