3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SHOULD I CUT MY ARROWS  (Read 232 times)

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
SHOULD I CUT MY ARROWS
« on: August 10, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
For the 1st time in my life I ordered and  just got 12 new Easton arrows, 500's, 32" long. I shoot 30", I tried one with a 100 gr point, in my 2 Herters bows and it shot perfectly in both bows, one 37# the other 45#. Should I cut them to 30" or let them at 32". I don't want to mess up the spine because they shoot good the way they are. I'm new at this and don't want to screw up $80.00 worth of arrows.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SHOULD I CUT MY ARROWS
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
this is what i use to tune my bows.   http://www.acsbows.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/tuninglongbowsandrecurves.pdf

since you said you were new i would print it out and read it 2 or 3 times. at least thats what i did... if you draw is 30" then don't cut you arrows to 30".  i draw 30" and my arrows are 30.75" thats just me though.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »
Thanks, I should mention when I draw I usually shoot before I get to my anchor point because I've been shooting 28" arrows and I'm cautious about the arrow coming off the rest. With the 32" arrows I'm confident this won't happen. I'm printing out the papers as I write, thanks.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
If you are happy with the way they fly, it won't hurt a thing if they are 2" longer than your draw length. With your draw length, I wouldn't go less than 31". At 32" you will just have a little more weight.
bolong

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
Wrong forum for that question though.
bolong

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
Thanks for your answer. Wrong forum ? Sorry, The question was about shooting - I think.

Offline gorillabows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
bolong hit it right on the head, if it works dont mess with it. This is the way it was done before the traditional world got over run with ex compound shooters who brought that mentality with them to trad. Great to have them, but they want to tinker to the inth degree. If it works, use it.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
Wildcat...this is more about arrows...and you will get more off the PowWow...this forum is more about the 'act of shooting'...and not so much gear....so I'm gonna move it so you'll get more exposure and answers.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 11:24:00 PM »
Leave them be
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline wildcat hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 05:24:00 AM »
Thanks for the move.

Offline saumensch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by wildcat hunter:
Thanks, I should mention when I draw I usually shoot before I get to my anchor point...
In my opinion before thinking more about arows you should work on getting to youre anchor. Without a true anchor point, theres no consistency and therefore no arrow can be truely tuned to youre for.
Just my 2cent.
And sometimes our dreams they float like anchors in hopeless waters oh way down here
Sometimes it seems that all that matters most are all the things that you can't keep
(William Elliot Whitmore)

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
If you are truly a masochist you can bare shaft. If they fly straight, leave them alone. If they nock left, shorten them. If they nock right add weight.

And then start weighing the hundreds of other variables.

When you are drooling and muttering incoherently, go back to where you are and shoot the arrows that fly right.

After 14 weeks or so of certified madness my 31" 5575 GTs will bare shaft straight at 25 yards so that I'm only looking at the nock.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »
Cut one and find out. Don't cut them all. I am more concerned about the 100 grains up front though if you will you be hunting with these. If targets only I retract this statement.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline TRAD101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
I like to have a minumum of 1 inch of arrow out front at full draw so as not to destroy my knuckle should I slighty over draw.

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
I agree with saumensch.  I think it's more important that you work on form right now than worrying about arrow length.  A key to consistent and accurate shooting is repeatable proper form.  By that I mean doing all the things involved with drawing and releasing the string the same way every time, all the time.  If you are snap shooting without reaching your anchor there is no way that you can achieve that consistency.  Your shooting will suffer and like saumensch you won't be able to effectively tune those arrows.  Good luck.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
I would not cut them if my draw was 30" I have a 28" draw and shoot a 30 1/4" arrow and they fly fine
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©