3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Couple questions for ya'll  (Read 198 times)

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
Couple questions for ya'll
« on: August 11, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
I just bought my first dozen of Surewood Fir's and love them. The problem is I think I ordered them with to much spine, buying more isn't an option. I draw 28" and don't want to go any less than 29 1/2" BOP. I'm also shooting 125 gr points and don't want to go any lower. They show weak when bare shafted. How I look at it is building the raiser out is the only option. The little leather piece I have right now is 1/16 thick. Is there anything I can do or buy to make it thicker?

Second question. About a month ago I bought a elevated rest, I put it on right away and it wasn't pretty. I didn't know an arrow could fly so odd. Those arrows were under spined. Should I give the elevated rest a try again with these new arrows? It does make the arrow stick out farther so I was wondering if that would work. Or if I was wasting my time cause some bows just don't like elevated rest. Thanks in advance!

P.S. Let me know if you need any other info!
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Couple questions for ya'll
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
If they're too stiff then add point weight....jump up to 160 and see what your point of impact is...depending on how stiff they are you may have to add more.  If you need to add a bunch of weight consider "woodie weights"...available from 3Rivers.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
if you shafts are too stiff then you can use more weight up front and increase your foc.  thats what i do.  building up rest and cutting them down never seem to workout for me.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
I'm sorry guys I meant weak
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 12:13:00 PM »
Side plate will help, also the harness of the sideplate will have a effect. Get a harder material if you can.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Thanks T Folts! Do you think an elevated rest would be worth trying? It would be harder and stick out a little farther.
Jon Richards

>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
First I tested with a hunk of leather from the suede backing of a bateman tab. Just masking taped it on and it really helped so  then I just built mine up by gluing two layers of deer skin together with Pliobond, then gluing on a layer of velcro rug for a total thickness of 3/16 which eliminates the 3/16th center cut. I made a pattern, traced it on the leather and velcro, cut them out fitted and glued them, then ground them with a dremel. You can still see the debris. And then glued them with Loctite all purpose adhesive and sealer.

Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Johathan, send me your address, I will send you a bunch of small leather scraps of various thickness to cut sideplates out of. Use an exacto knife to cut whatever shape you want. Go to hardware store and buy spray adhesive, to apply the leather. You can experiment and use whichever thickness works best. Some guys even cut a small piece of a plastic tie wrap( some call them zipties) and install it under the leather to give an added 1/8 inch or so. I'll include one of those.
David M. Conroy

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 12:55:00 PM »
Sent 'em out this morning, have fun.
David M. Conroy

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
Thanks David!!! I played around a little last night and think the stuff your sending will make'em fly perfect! Thanks again!
Jon Richards

>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
Someone here can talk about adding or decreasing tail weight to alter relative spine. It is not me as I know little about that end for tuning
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roadkill:
Someone here can talk about adding or decreasing tail weight to alter relative spine. It is not me as I know little about that end for tuning
Interesting. I never thought or heard of that. Hopefully somebody will chime in with some info. Never a bad idea to have options.
Jon Richards

>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
For side plate adjustment, I use a small section of plastic toothpick standing vertically behind the side plate material. If it is too thick, you can sand it down until reaching the correct thickness.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©