3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HI, NEW GUY HERE  (Read 703 times)

Offline PAUL A. JOHNSON

• Trad Bowhunter
HI, NEW GUY HERE
« on: July 02, 2007, 05:57:00 PM »
just wanted to introduce myself, i've been looking around here and would like some help. I'd like to start in traditional archery and would like something for bowfishing, hunting and just some target shooting. can anyone give me some ideas.

thanks
Paul

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: HI, NEW GUY HERE
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 06:08:00 PM »
Hello Paul and welcome to Trad Gang. There is a lot of knowledge to be had on this site. I'm fairly new at trad archery myself, i have been at it for about a year now. Firs off you need to decide what kind of bow you want to shoot be it a recurve or longbow. If there is a way try to shoot both kinds before you decide on that. Next thing you might want to try is buying a good used bow of light poundage so you can work on your form without picking up bad habits. When i started i went from a 60# compound to a 50# longbow thinking that i could get by with a 10# reduction in weight. When in reality i should have started with more like 45# All these are at 28" by the way. By getting used equipment at first you will be able to find out just what type of bow suites you the best without going broke in the process. Good luck.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 06:24:00 PM »
An Bear grizzly would do all that just fine,,I'm sure you could find someone around here that might want to part with one.
TGMM

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 07:30:00 PM »
Welcome aboard.  Keep an eye on the Classifieds on this site and I am sure you will find something that strikes your fancy.  Lots of good knowledge on this site and great people to.  Dont be afraid to ask questions and be ready for a lot of different ways to do thinks and different opinions.
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Golden Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
Glad to have you Paul! Like stated above keep your eyes open to the classifieds,and don't try to go to heavy in weight. stay in the 45-50 pound range until your muscles develop and your form gets rock solid.
LeRoy

Charter member of TBJA (Trad Bow Junkies of America)

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 07:36:00 PM »
Welcome to the fire! Youre gonna get a lot of GOOD knowlege here believe me!This is where Ive been going for the past couple of years and have learned a ton and STILL learning
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline eddiejclayton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Welcome to the site Paul!  I'm new here myself as well as new to traditional archery.  You will absolutely love the site, there are so many knowledgeable people on here.

Like everyone is saying, keep an eye on the classifieds and start with something in the 40# - 50# range.  I picked up a beautiful Dremcatcher this weekend for a killer deal.  There are some very nice people on this forum.  :)

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
Boy, Oh, Boy, Paul!  Do I have a deal for you.  You need to catch up with us and the Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia (TBG).  About the end of September we assault your neck of the woods and hit Cohutta for a great weekend (That's assuming you are from Dalton and not Dalotn!!  :knothead:  ).  We are still confirming the date, please plan to join us.

You've got some great people up your way that will do anything for you to get you set up that frequent the TradGang, including Terry Green (from Ranger),  and Hogless is up your way I believe.  Shoot on over to  the TBG site here on TradGang - you won't be sorry:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=34

Introduce your self and we'll start there.  Our annual banquet is south of Atlanta in 2 weeks, maybe you can find a ride.  

You can also checkout our other TBG site at:

http://www.tradbowgeorgia.com/

I started shooting trad gear about 3 years ago, and have really enjoyed TBG - you will too!  Welcome and I look forward to meeting you.  Steve

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 09:05:00 PM »
Welcome to the   :wavey:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline PAUL A. JOHNSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »
THANKS FOR THE WELCOME EVERYONE. I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WOULD BE REAL FUN TO SHOOT AND HUNT WITH TRADITIONAL BOWS. ITS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I'VE EVEN SHOT A COMPOUND BOW BUT I'VE GOT THE ITCH TO SHOOT TRADITIONAL. I'LL KEEP MY EYES ON THE CLASSIFIEDS BUT IF ANYONE SEE'S SOMETHING A POOR BOY CAN AFFORD LET ME KNOW CAUSE I DONT HAVE A CLUE WHAT IS A GOOD DEAL. AND STEVE I'LL CHECK OUT THE TBG. AND HOPEFULLY GET TO MEET YOU AT COHUTTA.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
Paul,if you buy new,check out Quinn bows.They make aluminum and one wood riser model.They are take down bows ,so you could get a light set of limbs to start and heavier later. I have tried the Stallion and myself and most anyone will tell you,they shoot as good or better than any custom out there.The Stallion is just over $200.

Check Mate makes a good bow also at a good price,but their take down is more expensive and getting an extra set of limbs would take a lot longer.

Welcome to the site   :campfire:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
I'm from Calhoun, just down the road a piece.

Maybe we could met soon, and shoot a bit.

I'll email ya.

Terry
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2007, 06:27:00 PM »
Becareful what you ask bro...you just might get it.....pretty addicting hobby here....Welcome!

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 09:52:00 PM »
Welcome! take a long look at Dryad Bows Site, great bows at a great price.

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
You are in the middle of a great place to start.  Get with Terry, JC, or Tim Flood, or Hogless, they'll get you started on the right track.  
Traditional archery is fun, but you'll find that the people you associate with are top notch as well.
Hope to see you at Cohutta, and maybe the banquet.
Dan

Offline Redwing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
Welcome aboard!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©