3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Safety Harness opinions needed...  (Read 419 times)

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
Safety Harness opinions needed...
« on: August 11, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
I'm going to buy a new safety harness for this season.I've narrowed it down between the Summit Seat of the Pants, and one of the newer HSS vest set ups.I'm looking for something quick and easy to get in and out of, and that is comfortable.I'm leaning a little towards the SOP, but the idea of the vest is appealing too.Opinions from guys that have used either is appreciated.

Shane

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Safety Harness opinions needed...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 03:43:00 PM »
My BIL just bought the vest and took it back. He said the leg straps were not very comfortable at all.
My other bud has the SOP and loves it.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 05:50:00 PM »
I use the Summit one Seat of the Pants, it's light and it works (my favorite), I have been looking at the new HSS Ultra light one (the old ones are too heavy).

Offline mscampbell75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
Another vote here for the SOP!  I've used it for 3 years now and love it.
Psalm 86:11   Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Black Creek Banshee T/D  49#@28
Iron Mountain R/D Longbow  53#@28
70's Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
I have no complaint on my HSS vest but have not used an SOP to compare.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 06:35:00 PM »
HSs vest. simple to use,for sure. I;ve used SOP harnesses, and prefer the vest by far. Best Ive ever used. No untangling harnesses.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
Muddy Outdoors has the best harness I have used, impossible to tangle, so light you don't know it is there, and with the supplied linesman rope you can use it to climb or set stands also. A big plus is absorbs little water at all.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
I've been using a SOP harness for several years now, but no matter how hard I try the straps always need untangling to put it on. This year I'm going with the Muddy harness which I bought from a fellow TG'er.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 08:41:00 PM »
HSS hot in early season.

X2 on Muddy or new HSS ultralight
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
I have both, and you would probably be happy with either.  I wear the HSS vest in warm weather over a t shirt, and the SOP in colder weather over or under my wool.  I like the SOP tether system much better.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
All the best in choosing.

Just remember not to leave home w/o it.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline CoilSpring

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 11:35:00 PM »
Quick and easy isn't always safe. Yes, the HSS vest is easier, BUT the older HSS leg straps anchor in the front-middle instead of the sides.  A Front-middle anchor will split your legs in two (or you will think it did if you experience a fall in it) instead of transfering the weight of your fall to your buttocks and thighs (the biggest muscles/bones in your body) where you want that force to go.  

The newer HSS's are anchored on the side (good), BUT get the model that has a strap across the chest to hold the shoulder straps together (and on your shoulders) in a forward-head-first fall.  A F-H-F-Fall w/o a chest strap will peel that harness right off your shoulders and off your waist/legs like pulling a sock off your foot (not good).  The SOP is a great harness (I love my original model), is harder to use, light wt., and has the leg straps properly designed, BUT no chest strap (I added one to improve mine).  The Muddy has both features, side-anchor leg straps, and a chest strap.  Buy the Muddy, if you're not comfortable with an added-on chest strap.

No harness is designed to prevent you from injury, but the goal is to keep you alive.  The harnesses with the best designs may let you walk again, the others won't, if you live through it.  

A good harness is cheap insurance, buy the best design and use it properly, ALWAYS, even going up to hang a fixed stand.

83% of people who fall 11 feet or more, DIE.

And as WHUMP always used to say..."Hunt safe"
CoilSpring

Offline josef2424

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
wow coilspring sure has his data down pat. I know a lot of people who just use a strap around their waist, but I guess all that is good for is to fain safety..
i use the cheaper HSS cause the other HSS vests sure are a pretty penny. I love mine. i can throw it on in a second and no parts of the clasps are noisy or get tangled. and I dont find it heavy or restricting.
Carnivores.....UNITE!!

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 12:11:00 AM »
I love my SOP harness can wear under your clothes and the strap is long enough to give you room in your treestand, its real easy to put on only takes like 30 seconds to put on and its pretty lightweight I really like ,ine
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline dixiearcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I love my HSS...judging from all the feedback here you should probably go somewhere and try both on and see what feels more comfortable to you
Preach the gospel, die, and be forgotten
-Count von Zinzendorf

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
Do yourself a favour and get an Industrial OH&S aproved harness.
 Toy harnesses are just that,. Toys. None of them would be allowed on an Industrial work place.
 Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Huntingnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by dixiearcher:
...judging from all the feedback here you should probably go somewhere and try both on and see what feels more comfortable to you
I had a similar thought.I wonder if Cabelas or Bass Pro has demos out that you can try on.

Thanks for the info all!

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
I just bought a Rescue One CDS. It is a little pricey but can you put a price on being able to walk again. Go to Mountaineer Sports and check out the video, it will make a believer out of you. There are a lot of people in wheelchairs and pushing up daises that thought it can't happen to me. No matter what, have a plan for any possible thing that can happen and you live to hunt another day.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline wulf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
Pete W is right.  Some of the "made for hunting" harness's are getting there in terms of proper design but the government approved models for industry are the real deal to save you from a fall.  Those models have metal hardware instead of plastic and a chest strap to keep you from dumping out of the harness during an awkward fall.  And what fall isn't awkward?

wulf
Member: Compton Traditional Bowhunter

Offline Mike Theis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
I have also recently purchased a Rescue One unit. Well built, and the only harness for a climbing treestand IMO. When you take it apart, and see how it works, you'll understand the improvements that this harness has over the others. I have hunted with a Seat of the Pants for years. She is worn out now, and I went in this direction. As Jack mentions above, go to the site and check it out for yourself.
If man were to know everything in advance, there would be no such thing as adventure!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©