3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Barrel or Breasted tapered shafts...?  (Read 442 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Barrel or Breasted tapered shafts...?
« on: August 13, 2011, 04:55:00 AM »
Hi all...

I am doing some homework on ordering breasted or barrel tapered shafts soon... more so in higher spines to shoot out of my 63# widow longbow.

Just want to know who has these types of shafts on hand or the ability to place an order at some stage soon?

I normally in the past have done all my tapering but I have kinda trimmed down my arrow making tools in a 'hasty' clean out...

cheers,

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Barrel or Breasted tapered shafts...?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 06:30:00 AM »
I think Allegheny Mountain offer both styles in a few verities of wood.

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
Al, check out Dink's Feather Shop   www.dinksfeathershop.com  

Duane is a new sponsor here at TG and he just made me some of the sweetest tapered cedars. Mind you that I haven't shot wood shafts since the 70s but I told him what my bow weight and drawlength are, and also told him the weight of my current carbons shafts. The tapered cedars he made me fly perfectly and group together with my carbons. No difference under 30 yrds. I was lucky enough to win the Eagle Eye Shoot-out at Denton Hill a couple of weeks ago, thanks in no small part to Duane's arrows. Thank you very much again Duane.   :thumbsup:  

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
Not much experience with them, but the barrel taper sure seems to stiffen up the dynamic spine. Should be pretty easy to get some stiff enough for your PL. I use a 55# PL. Good luck.

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 07:09:00 PM »
Bob Burton at Whispering Winds makes some nice ones if you have an interest in hexshafts.  I toured his shop and was impressed.  He had quite a few already made and in stock last winter.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
I like breasted taper shafts for everything. Ted Fry at Raptor Archery will make them up for you. Barrel taper does not have to take off any more spine than regular taper; the taper at the point end is only the first 6 inches and would take 11/32 down just a bit. At least that is how I like mine.
Snag if you take off more wood then starting off with 5# heavier would be good.
Barrel tapering will remove quite a bit of spine, probably 10-15#.

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
I have tried hex shafts in the past so-so results, so i am looking for spruce, chundoo ( if anyone still stocks these?) and or douglas fir. Maybe even POC...

In the past i have tapered mine from a 11/32 at the point end, 23/64 in the middle, down to 5/16 at the nock end.

I find this is a good all round taper for hunting and everyday shooting.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Online snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
I am buying a bunch of ACME 23/64" in 80#-85#. Thought I would try barrrel tapering with some of these. I like the idea of your taper measurements Al.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 06:49:00 AM »
Al, barrel taper is my preferred ... like those old Copperheads we use to get in Oz but have only done them myself to cedar with 'ok' results . More time on the tools and they would prob work ok . Im thinking about doing some Doug fir or lodgepole pine .
Presently Im just ding 11/32 - taper 5/16 nock end .

I have a bit of gear lying round if you need any. Just give us a hoy if you do .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
I SEE NO DIFFERENCE IN THE WAY THEY SHOOT BETWEEN TAPERED AND PARALLEL I HAD ARROWS FROM 2 PROS A FEW TAPERS LEFT FROM A DOZ AND NEW PARALLELS FROM ELITE BOTH GROUP THE SAME AT 30 YRDS ? SO WHY DO INEED TAPERED SHAFTS?
Arrow_Flynn

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 08:40:00 PM »
I have a few dozen shafts that Don Stokes made (super cedars- Magnolia wood) and they are barrel tapered. They shoot just like any other arrow. They do seam to be stronger on the point end when I make a foul shot and hit a hard object.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
Arrow Flynn ... the most accurate and forgiving shafts I have ever shot were Barrell Taper , and for hunting I use rear tapered shafts .

Tapered shafts are very forgiving and I find they clear the bow a lot better . There are many archers who find the same thing.

Also ... whe you type in capitals it appears that you are yelling at everyone ...   :biglaugh:  

Al, isn't Chundoo the same as Lodgepole Pine ? I think I read/heard it was somewhere . The Chundoo I got from Whitings back in the day was fantastic
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 08:54:00 PM »
We had/have a sponsor that used to list some real nice barrel tapered shafts, Great Basin Footed  shafts??

Eric

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
Hey Ben my wife text messages me in CAPITAL LETTERS - you appear to be correct.  :scared:    :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
Good luck Al. I really like the fir shafts, very nice wood for arrows. I too like the barrel taper, but the rear taper fly just as well.
Good luck!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
Chundo is lodgepole. Yes.
Good arrow shaft I like them.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 11:30:00 PM »
you are rt ben forgot to hit caps lock . anyway dave wallace shoots parallels and paul jalon stated that w a longbow it dont matter and tapers bend easier .i dont think im misquoting mr jalon .many of daves competators shoot tapers really good shots w alongbow I just dont think it makes much of a difference I know im raining on someones parade .check with paul jalon hes been an arrowsmith for over50 yrs .
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
I hate to say it, arrow flynn, and no offense intended, but you have to be a really good archer to appreciate the difference.    :D  

When I made barreled shafts, my tests showed a loss of only 2-3# after barrel tapering. Of course, it depends on the amount of taper. Mine were tapered about 9" on each end, to tips sizes of either 11/32 or 5/16.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »
Don, I think barreling will make the shaft act stiffer right? I know in my testing(really it was playing) It SEEMED like the bareshaft would just wag one of the bow shelf and then head down range nice a purty. Would you support that they recover quick or quicker?

CTT
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©