3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Barrel or Breasted tapered shafts...?  (Read 443 times)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Barrel or Breasted tapered shafts...?
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
Chuck, I found the same thing.At least it seemed that way. The barreled recovered faster than the taperred, which recovered faster than parralel. But I am definitley no expert. Mabey Don can say?
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 09:46:00 AM »
Al: I have a pile of chundoo in heavier spines and can taper them for you. When I tried barreling or breasting them I always lost 5# in spine consistently. If i have what you need for spine we can work something out.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
I agree, Chuck. A barreled shaft bends with a different profile from a parallel, with more of the bend in the tapered ends. This keeps the thicker center section closer to the riser, so it loses less energy in the paradox and recovers more quickly. Bottom line, barreled shafts are more efficient.

I made a breasted set to hunt with this season, by cutting 33" barreled shafts back to 29 1/2" from the point end. I ended up with 5/16 nocks and 11/32 points. They fly beautifully with big 3-blade heads.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
I used to like your arrow shafts Don. I may have some left. I will see if I can find them in my "stash"
Thanks.
Chuck
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
I assume “Breasted” taper, means only tapered from the nock end?

Thanx

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 12:56:00 AM »
Breasted taper usually means taper 9-10 inches at the fletch end and about 6" at the point end.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
Right, Bjorn. They are also smaller diameter on the nock end.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
"Breasted taper usually means taper 9-10 inches at the fletch end and about 6" at the point end."

I thought that was a "Barrel" taper....Hmmm. now I'm really confused...8^)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
Barrel Taper refers to same length of taper at either end; so 9-10" taper down to say 5/16 at both ends.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
Ahh, now I get it... Thanx

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 02:36:00 AM »
In regards to the spine issue with Barrel or Breasted tapered shafts... the info I have and from what I have been told is that you will lose spine once you taper your shafts. This is called 'static spine' (spine that is measured on a spine jig)... but what you lose on your static spine you gain on 'dynamic spine'... that is the spine of an arrow when it passes through archers paradox.

The reason I like tapered shafts is just that, as stated above, the arrow/shaft recovers from archers paradox quicker once shot.

Well... that what I have read anyhow.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
One interesting note from history is that Horace Ford considered the best longbow target archer shot parralel shafts that were footed. This is the old english text from his book, Archery, Its theory and practice, Chapter V:  Bobtailed is tapered, straight is parallel.  

And so as regards the bobtailed arrow, which is largest at the point and smallest at the feathers, the converse of this is true. For here the tendency during its whole passage over the bow is to the right of the direction of aim, only retained by the retention of its both ends; it has a rapid flight, but docs not follow the point well and is additionally objectionable as a departure from the straight line. In short, it may be set down as an incontrovertible position in target shooting, that any shape of arrow that causes the centre of its thickness to vary in its relation to the edge of the bow, is radically bad. Therefore none other than the perfectly straight arrow is here recommended.

Current world longbow champion shooting parallel shafts?  Humm?
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
The bobtailed arrow is not barreled or breasted; it's a continuous taper from point to nock. A natural cane arrow fits this description.

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Let me 2nd Ron's recommendation.  I shot a bow Ron setup for someone else, another lefty, as a favor to Ron to see if it was tuned.  Man was it ever.  And those arrows flew as good as any I have ever shot.  And talk about quiet!  The bow was a 45# Wing with no silencers and shot as quiet as any bow I own with silencers.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Don Stokes:
The bobtailed arrow is not barreled or breasted; it's a continuous taper from point to nock. A natural cane arrow fits this description.
I got it.  I think it is interesting Horace Ford in the old text only endorsed a straight or parallel arrow.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
I've never seen a clear advantage in shooting anything but a parallel shaft for distances of less than 40 yards.. The barreled shafts do seem to have an advantage in flight stability beyond that range especially with small straight offset fletching.

The only benefit I see for a back tapered shaft is a minor increase in FOC which might offer slightly more stable flight if shooting in windy conditions for a lighter shaft which is made even lighter by the tapering..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
its interesting that the greatest target archer horace ford  used parallel shafts and also dave wallace the current world champ
Arrow_Flynn

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
I think we will try to do everything to improve our shooting if someone says tapers fly better then ya gotta hav em i know thats how ...i felt about it. imho if the arrow is straight and spined for your bow and you are pulling it to your draw  consistantly it will fly to your target if your form is good parallels or tapers and tapers will cost more
Arrow_Flynn

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2011, 01:04:00 AM »
I like parallel shafts and use them a lot .

But there are bunch of very very experienced archers who have shot every type of arrow under the sun who will tell you that day in day out a well made tapered shafts are a more forgiving and accurate shaft . I am one of them.
I am sure that Dave Wallace shoots the best shaffts availiable , but to be honest the man could shoot barbed wire accurately .
To most of us mere mortals , a tapered shaft is worth the time and effort and cost .
30 years of shooting wooden arrows has shown me that .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©