3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Bowhunting Boots  (Read 319 times)

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
New Bowhunting Boots
« on: August 13, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
I guess it's that time of year again.It seems inevitable that I'm going to buy some new stuff,leading into the season.

I just got the Under Armour Speed Freak boots.I think they are going to make a great bowhunting boot.Very light weight at 1 lb 5 oz each,in a size 10.My Danner 6" TFX hunters are light and they weigh 7 oz more per boot.

I had heard and found out as soon as I put them on,that they are extremely comfortable.They are 7" high in back,8" at the highest point.The ankle is well padded and they come above the ankle so I believe they can be laced to give good ankle support.

They come in 3 camo patterns.These are Multi Cam.My Danners are size 10 so I ordered these in 10 and they fit just right.I haven't got in the hills with them yet but Monday I plan to sit in the antelope blind for a few hours,then I'm going to do a little hike in the hills to see what's going on there and to test these out.I'll report back after.I'm sure these are the lightest hunting boots I've owned.

The Speed Freak is the camo/Goetex version of their Valsetz.I read a lot of great reviews on that one.Some of those were from police-SWAT guys.

Cabelas and Under Armour have them but UA had free shipping so I ordered there.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Bowhunting Boots
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
Great looking boot lite & sure soled! Any feel for snakebite resistance?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Buckeeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
I like the looks of them,being ex SWAT, I'm looking forward to your report.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
Buddy,I wouldn't nudge a rattlesnake with these,especially the kind you have in Texas.I think the padded ankle would stop our 3' prairie rattlers but they might get through the cordura on the side or above the toes.

I think you may need Kevlar instead of Goretex!

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Thanks Jim. It was an honest ?. Dry & hot as its been, even snakes here are pissed off! I never go into the woods w/o thinking about snakes. And, I'm not askeered of 'em.
Buddy Bell

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
This is one year you had better be careful in the Texas outback. The snake ain't happy with this heat. Good solid snake boots will be on my feet for the next few months whenever I'm in snake country and I ain't scared of them either. Just respectful.  :nono:

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »
While I'm at it,I'll post a picture of this new stool.I've been looking for a compact stool for in the antelope blind and just did not want to pay $200 for one.I found this one from CGI Outdoors for $30.It seems well made and fairly comfortable.I don't mean comfortable like lounge chair,fall asleep comfort but not too bad for a stool.The padded back helps but it is at the small of the back and doesn't give as much support as a higher chair back.Better than not having it though.I have used bigger chairs but sometimes I need to shove them aside and shoot from my knees and my feet get tangled up in the chair.There just isn't enough room.

I think this is going to work for what I need.The seat is 17" high,it has a carrying strap and cup pocket.It weighs 3 lbs 15 oz.You would want to use it on relatively level ground.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Smooth winner here Jim. Rare to carry mine as too bulky. Yours (folded pic plez) folds  just right maybe. Thanks
Buddy Bell

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
I've been shooting out of it every day for a few.I haven't detected any squeaks or problems.Folded it is 27"x4".It has a shoulder strap for carrying.I see on their site they have some interesting folding chairs but they weigh about 9 lbs.

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 04:47:00 PM »
Those boots look great!   :)  
But they don't come in W I D E.   :(
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
Kapellmeister,I always were a 10EE in Danners,but these UA boots fit me fine.

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
Well, maybe I'll have to try them on at the next trip to Cabela's!   :thumbsup:   Thanks!
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
Jim, do you know how they compare to North Face Hedgehog mids ?
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
I've never tried that shoe Chinook.The mid would be cheaper and lighter.The UA would give ankle support and padding.Don't know about sizing.

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
I love those boots, but in Louisiana I would say they fall into the SOB boots category. As in, every time I wear some like that instead of my Lacrosse burley, after walking a while I say "SOB my feet are wet!"

even in dry weather...

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
I know what you mean mrjsl.This is very dry country but some times you have to cross some wet spots or streams and the Goretex is needed.Tomorrow is opening day of antelope temperatures and it will be 38-40 degress in the morning and the grass will be covered in dew.Walking a few feet in that stuff will get the feet wet and sitting in those temperatures with wet feet takes some of the fun out of it.Rubber boots aren't needed but non-Goretex footwear doesn't quite cut it.

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
They look like a good warm weather boot. I'd like to hear how they hold up after a year of antelope, early elk/muley hunting.
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Online chinook907

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 02:36:00 AM »
Thanks, always looking for something better.  I like my NF boots, but they could be put together a bit better, and I need to use 3-4 pairs of socks or my feet get tore up in the steep stuff.
"Have I not commanded you ? Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 04:41:00 PM »
After I got out of the antelope blind this morning I did some scouting in the hills,walking around for 2-3 hours in everything from mild uphill to steep but not rocky.The boots did real well.There was some runoff a few places on the trails so I slopped through 2-3 inches of water and they did well there too.

I'm real happy so far.These will work for most of my spring bear hunting,summer hiking and early season deer,elk and bear in the foothills.

This type boot will never replace Asolo's,Meindl's,Kennetrek boots for hardcore,rough mountain hunting but they are a nice lightweight uninsulated boot.

The stool,on the other hand,was not too comfortable for long.It is great to shoot off of but don't think you are going to sit in it daylight to dark.I'm glad I had planned to bail out after 4 hours.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
Anybody know of a real good boot made in the USA????
Only anything I'm interested in Buying...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©