3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: D shape or reflex-deflex longbow  (Read 702 times)

Offline Michigan Man

• Trad Bowhunter
D shape or reflex-deflex longbow
« on: August 13, 2011, 10:52:00 PM »
I've always shot recurves and would like to buy a longbow. I like the looks of both the d shape and the r/d hybrid type longbows. Can I get some opinions on what I can expect from each type of bow, such as accuracy, smoothness of draw, handshock, etc? Thanks, all answers will be appreciated.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: D shape or reflex-deflex longbow
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
Accuracy is in the shooter, not the bow.  In the same length and materials, you likely won't notice any difference in smoothness between d-shaped bows and moderate r/d bows.  D-shaped bows may have a little more hand shock, mild R/D bows will be faster.  Severe R/D  hybrid bows will be faster yet and draw a little smoother at the end of the draw, or,stated another way,can be drawn further before they stack as much as D-shaped or moderate r/d bows. Severe r/d hybrids are more likely to have recurve type grips and feel more like a recurve when shot.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
R/D bows are faster at the same weight and draw length.  A well designed R/D longbow is smooth on the draw and will not stack.  

A D type bow can have some hand shock depending on design.  The grips tend to be thin at the back of the grip but this is a generalization and not a rule.  

If you like tradition go with the D bow.  If you like speed and a modern grip design go with the R/D longbow.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
I have shot many bows and in my opinion, it is the guy behind the bow that matters. One good day I can shoot lights out, the next day with the same bow I suck. Pick a decent bow, tune it and don't look back.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
I am a  BIG  Fan of D-Shaped LongBows, Pretty Much as Long as I am Tall too!  :thumbsup:   I agree with ermont, "Pick It & Stick With It!!"  NONE  of its Easy, as you already Know!! Just something Really  Personally Rewarding  about Shooting a Wood Arrow out of a Centuries Old Designed Bow and Hitting what Your Looking At!!  :campfire:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
My r/d longbow has a grip similar to my recurves. The only major difference is the longbow is very quiet.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 11:46:00 PM »
If you are not sure, split the difference and get something like a Robertson longbow and have the better aspects of both.

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »
I like them both, maybe the D shape a touch better because of how it looks strung and how whisper quiet mine are.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 02:10:00 AM »
I like the r/d longbows they seem to shoot better for me.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 05:58:00 AM »
go to northernmist.com look at the superior that has both reflex with still retaining the'D' shape plus he is in your home state.
It may be northernmistlongbows.com

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
taken from the article  TRADITIONAL ARCHERY ~ for bowhunters  ...

There are essentially two types of longbows - straight and hybrid.

"Straight" longbows have limbs that are basically straight or perhaps with a bit of overall tapered reflex ("back set") or string follow ("belly set"). These are "classic" longbows that form a "D" shape when braced. Think: English longbow, American flat longbow, Howard Hill longbow.

"Hybrid" longbows have both reflexed limb ends and deflexed risers. This improves the overall efficiency of the bow, for faster arrow speeds, while still imparting a large measure of bow "stability" during the shot. Mild r/d longbows typically have that "D" braced classic longbow limb look when braced. Aggressive r/d longbows will typically show some reflex near the limb tips when braced, and allow even faster arrow speeds. The milder r/d longbows are typically somewhat more stable than the more aggressive variety (aggressive hybrids are closer in performance and aesthetics to recurves - and some will outperform recurves in the speed category).

Stick bows have a number of measured qualities, such as "stability" during and after the shot, "energy/speed" imparted to the arrow via the limbs, "noise" created during the shot, and "hand shock" after the arrow clears the riser.

Stability - the ability of the bow to remain as neutral as possible in the bow hand after the string is released.

Energy/speed - how much energy is imparted to the arrow as transmitted via the bowstring and bow limbs.

Noise - the decibel noise level after the string is released and as the arrow clears the riser; recurves typically have limb "slap", since the bowstring makes contact with the reflexed ends of the limbs, longbows don't have that issue.

Hand shock - any amount of energy that is not transmitted to the arrow is absorbed by the bow limbs and riser, and is transmitted to the bow hand.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 07:27:00 AM »
Could go slight r/d thats d shaped when strung...

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
Northern Mist Superior and Mohawk longbows have just enough r/d in them to practically eliminate any shock, yet retain the classic look of a D bow.  I also like the look of a 68" or longer bow, so smoothness (lack of stacking) is not an issue.  Personally, I just don't like the look of the high r/d bows with recurve grips.  They seem to be the best of both worlds with the speed of a recuve and quietness of a longbow, but just don't look "right" to me.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
there are a number of trad gang sponsor bowyers that offer mild r/d longbows that brace to a "D" shape.  vince @ mohawk longbows is one and he currently has a new beauty for sale at the  sponsor\\'s classifieds  ...

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
my thoughts and observations on longbow handle shapes ...

the classic american flat longow ("howard hill") has a straight handle.  these handles are meant (and tillered) to be gripped with nearly full vertical pressure - that is, from the web of your thumb/forefinger to your palm and to your pinky.  that's a LOT of surface pressure that if not administered and controlled correctly can vertically torque a released arrow.  

most of the hybrid longbows, and even most american flat longbows, offer a small locator handle that allows the grip pressure to be concentrated at the web of the thumb and forefinger (the base of the thumb's fleshy part).  this makes for a much smaller pressure point area and for more control of the release.  you can read more about this in fred asbell's new book  advanced instinctive shooting for bowhunting

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
The Mohawk Rob directed us to is a beauty.

Nice work Vince!

So many bows,...... so little money...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
so far my favorite bows are the very mild R/D longbows that string up as a "D",   like the Mohawk,  Crow Creek Dalton,  NM Baraga, Liberty Contender etc.  

For me they are the best blend of performance, silence, and just feel right.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
i think these mild r/d longbows are a very good compromise of both performance and aesthetics.   :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
From 1 extreme to the other-

left to right
56" shrew Classic hunter Hybrid
62" Northern mist Baraga Mild R/D D
66" Robertson Mild R/D D
68" Northern Mist Classic straight limb D
68" Northern Mist Shelton String Follow D

Like Rob said, the mild R/D are probably the best of all the worlds, just depends on what Butters yur Bisquit.

Eric

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Great picture, really shows the differences.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©