3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: D shape or reflex-deflex longbow  (Read 704 times)

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: D shape or reflex-deflex longbow
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
taken from the article  TRADITIONAL ARCHERY ~ for bowhunters  ...

There are essentially two types of longbows - straight and hybrid.

"Straight" longbows have limbs that are basically straight or perhaps with a bit of overall tapered reflex ("back set") or string follow ("belly set"). These are "classic" longbows that form a "D" shape when braced. Think: English longbow, American flat longbow, Howard Hill longbow.

"Hybrid" longbows have both reflexed limb ends and deflexed risers. This improves the overall efficiency of the bow, for faster arrow speeds, while still imparting a large measure of bow "stability" during the shot. Mild r/d longbows typically have that "D" braced classic longbow limb look when braced. Aggressive r/d longbows will typically show some reflex near the limb tips when braced, and allow even faster arrow speeds. The milder r/d longbows are typically somewhat more stable than the more aggressive variety (aggressive hybrids are closer in performance and aesthetics to recurves - and some will outperform recurves in the speed category).

Stick bows have a number of measured qualities, such as "stability" during and after the shot, "energy/speed" imparted to the arrow via the limbs, "noise" created during the shot, and "hand shock" after the arrow clears the riser.

Stability - the ability of the bow to remain as neutral as possible in the bow hand after the string is released.

Energy/speed - how much energy is imparted to the arrow as transmitted via the bowstring and bow limbs.

Noise - the decibel noise level after the string is released and as the arrow clears the riser; recurves typically have limb "slap", since the bowstring makes contact with the reflexed ends of the limbs, longbows don't have that issue.

Hand shock - any amount of energy that is not transmitted to the arrow is absorbed by the bow limbs and riser, and is transmitted to the bow hand.
Well now, that pretty much sums it up!   :clapper:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline threeundr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 02:52:00 PM »
I second what horatio 1226 said. He shoots a JD Berry and they are awsome! To me it's the best of both worlds.

-Leonard-
-Leonard-

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
I love how 'Deadly Silent' my D-Bows are. I'll give up some speed for that.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by DannyBows:
I love how 'Deadly Silent' my D-Bows are. I'll give up some speed for that.
BUT, what kinda "D" bow?  hill-style or mild r/d?  :)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline BWD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
Don't matter to me as long as it's got some r/d.
"If I had tried a little harder and practiced a little more, by now I could have been average"...Me

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by BWD:
Don't matter to me as long as it's got some r/d.
then it ain't hill style.   :D

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
Rob, both. My BamaBows Hunter and my Quillian Longhunter are my quietest bows. The Longhunter has a mild R/D.
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 10:06:00 PM »
the bama hunter is a "hill style" american flat longbow.  :)

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 05:48:00 AM »
You live in Kentwood you should have took a ride to Hastings to the Great Lks Longbow shoot over the weekend, you could have shot every type of longbow style made, there were lots of great longbow builders there! Check out Black Dog Outfitters on 57th out near Sparta/Greenville he stocks quite a few longbows and has a range where you could shoot a few of them! Great Trad shop!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 07:33:00 AM »
Way off topic here, but I have to say this thread is a great example of what a great bunch of folks hang out here.  All positive opinions and information on a topic that would have run off the rails and into the weeds a long time ago on some other forums.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline TomBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
Yes sir, Mr. Swamp!  Exactly right.

I come from very minimal experience, '53 Bear Cub longbow, very slightly deflexed, a bit of a hand shocker and straight handled requiring alot of hand into the bow, totally contrasted by my new R/D longbow with a locator grip, a bit quieter than the Bear and such a sweet shooter.  As it is with many things with trad and my minimal experience, I agree with the "to each his or her own" when it comes to selecting a "better" when comparing one to the other.  I enjoy the challenge of the Bear but just about put everything else away after I shoot the new bow.  Sounds ta me like you need to shoot a few and decide for yourself.  You'll know when it feels right, and when you have the "OH BABY!" moment.....that will tell you which way to go.

Best of Luck to all,
TomBow
Best of Luck!

Toelke Whip "MTB" 62", 53#@28
'65 K-Mag 52", 58@28
'53 Bear Cub longbow, 64" 60#@28

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
I love my hill bows and my sunset hill bows ishot my highest 3d scores with a 44 lb wesley special after nate put a killer grip on it  however a hybrid will out shoot a d bow by up to 20 ft per second and 10 lbs lighter bow weight and  get there without being twichey and unstable its not the bow its the archer behind the bow some years ago i met one of the shultz brothers at a shoot he had a booth selling shooting gloves he was shooting a 55 lb self bow his father had made for him and man could he shoot so there you have it
Arrow_Flynn

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by arrow flynn:
....  however a hybrid will out shoot a d bow by up to 20 ft per second and 10 lbs lighter bow weight and  get there without being twichey and unstable ...
my hybrid r/d longbow IS a "D" bow.     :readit:  

so, i'm sure what you meant was a classic American Flat Longbow (in the hill style).     ;)      

yeah yeah, just a buncha words, i know i know, who really cares.  sorry.  my hackles go up sometimes when i see "D bow"  used incorrectly.    :wavey:

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
You can have a slightly reflex longbow that's is heaviely trapped(Fredrck Baron) and they will shoot very respectfully in performance.They also have that extreme stability trait that's very desired.
I've been looking for years for a bowyer that builds this type of bow.I saw a longbow built by Leon Steward that was simular and he told me it takes alot longer time to build a bow like that,than a R/D flatbow.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
If it has a recurve riser/pistol grip and/or it doesn't form a true "D" when strung, I, myself, won't ever call it, a "longbow" or even a "hybrid longbow". It's a hybrid-period! It may well be my own idiosyncratic definition but that's fine. Only the "D"s give me that "longbow feeling." Some of the severe R/D limbed, recurve handled, bows are far closer to a recurve than a longbow in appearance and from a distance you might not be able to tell it wasn't a recurve. So why "hybrid longbow" and not "hybrid recurve?" If I can't tell what it is when strung i.e. if it's "Hill Style" or "Mohawk", then I'll call it a longbow and that is as picayune as I'll get. I'll always be polite though and allow anyone to call their bows anything they want-even "sweetheart!"      :D
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2011, 07:16:00 PM »
I'll agree with the Curveman, even thogh a couple of his adjectives flew right-on over my head.

Eric

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2011, 07:38:00 PM »
Mr. Curveman,

I'm far out of my league here, but I too have asked this question and have now seen it repeteadly answered by Mr. DiStefano.  Regardless of the amount of reflex if the string does not ride beyond the nock it is considered a longbow by the governing organizations.

My hybrids get called recurves all the time and particularly unbraced, but I have quickly learned that this label or degree of traditional is a minefield worth avoiding.  It's annoying and taking away from my overall experience.  My mentor won't shoot a bow with phenalics!  Come on...

Indiosyncratic or esoteric elitism who knows...  :dunno:
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Mine is both!!!! :D  

St. Joe River "Green Gobblin", 53@28.

Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Arwin:
Mine is both!!!!  :D  

St. Joe River "Green Gobblin", 53@28.

nope, ya can't technically have both (AFL's aren't snakes at rest, and r/d's are in no way AFL's performance-wise!).

can't see the limb tips in yer pix to thumbs up a true "D" braced shape, but it don't matter 'cause ya got yerself a hybrid alrighty!  :D

"hybrid longbows" ARE a blend of both AFL and recurve.  they have recurve r/d as part of their design, and that IS why they were created - to boost longbow performance beyond what an AFL can yield.  

but an AFL is the true classic longbow - American Flat Longbow.  it has no snake when it's sleeping off the string and it always come to a "D" shape when braced for the hunt.  it's as close to an ELB as one can get, but minus the "D" limb CROSS SECTION (not "D" brace height).

hybrids can be sneaky buggers, and both the mild r/d and STEALTH aggressive r/d can have a braced "D" shape.  "normal" aggressive r/d longbows will always exhibit some "tip flip" when braced.

some of the "normal" aggressive r/d longbows have recurve handles carved into their risers.  it's just personal preference that matters, and we all include a measure of aesthetics in our bow choices.

however ya slice and whatever longbow descriptive nomenclature anyone observes, if only the bowstring loops touch only the limb nocks, then i calls it a "longbow".

none of this stuff really matters at all, when it comes to hunting.  call it whatever ya like, for what makes you both happiest and gets the job done in the field.   :thumbsup:

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Thanks Rob!!!  I love this bow, we have a long history and just got reunited after a 2 yr separation.    :archer:    Not sure what to call it either, except purty!!   :biglaugh:  

Here are a couple pics of the limb tips:

Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©