3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moose Kill Zone?  (Read 434 times)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Moose Kill Zone?
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
You know how you use a paper plate to estimate the kill zone of a whitetail deer?

Can someone tell me the approximate dimesions of a moose's kill zone?

Thanks,
Bona
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline jimmerc

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moose Kill Zone?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:47:00 AM »
Take a look at the animal shot placement pics thread above in pow wow, It's near the top!!  I would say that if you can keep it in the paperplate for deer you good to go!!!
1- kajika stik combo,RC 55@28/LONGBOW 57@28 Both W/diamondback skins

1- monarch longbow royal 68" 59@28
1- bear kodak hunter-44@28

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
I was thinking the same thing about the paper plate.

I looked at the pics in the above thread. Although very informative I wanted to know if there were actual deminsions.

I did another search and found what I was looking for. The numbers I found were on the New Hampshire fish and wildlife site.

18" wide x 16" high.

I talked to someone at Ironbound Outfitters in New Foundland. They recommend (on thier website )shooting a bow atleast 55# and accurate out to 45 yds.

I told them that I could do the 55# bow but the best I could probably do (with lots of practice) is 30 yds. They said that that was not a problem, they get lots of shots that close or closer. Thier website says the kill zone is 19% but that doesn't tell be much. Thus my original question.

Bona
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
Bona,

I think you will be just fine if you stick with the paper plate sized kill zone!

However, The MOST important thing to remember is that Moose are a BIG animal!!!!! Range estimation can REALLY be a big problem... The average size Moose is about the size of a Holstien,except about 6 feet tall at the top of his back. I would suggest if you have a farmer around that won't mind you wandering around in his pasture, get out there amongst the cows and practice judging how far away from you they are. It doesn't make up for the height,but it will give you an idea of the body size.

GOOD LUCK!!!!! May the Great Spirit guide your arrow!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 12:39:00 PM »
Bona,

I wouldn't dwell as much on size of the kill zone as I would size of the animal.
Have a friend that went Elk hunting about 25 years ago for the first time with a bow. He actually lost 15 arrows before connecting with his first Bull! He wasn't able to judge distance due to the difference in size between Whitetails and Elk. He has since learned to use objects around the animal to help him judge distance.(such as trees, bushes, etc.)

If you can kill a Whitetail you'll have no problem killing a Moose, just keep the size in perspective. If you can, practice shooting at a 3d Moose. It's amazing how many folks miss the Moose at 3d shoots because they just don't realize how much bigger they are than a Whitetail.
Lots of arrows fall short of the target. Just standing next to a 3d Moose is a real eye opener!

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 07:45:00 PM »
I never thought about misjudging distance because of thier size. Good advice here! Do you tend to shoot under them because they are so big that they seem closer than you think they are?

Bona
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 08:47:00 PM »
You've got It!
Try to get next to a 3d Moose or even a full mount. Then you'll understand why misjudging distance will be your biggest concern.
If you can improvise a practice target (even if it's cardboard) with the broadside measurements of a moose body, including height you will be far ahead of the game when the moment arrives.

Good Luck if your hunt is approaching! And be sure to post PICS.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 09:04:00 PM »
Hi Bona. .  I would advise. . don't worry about changing expectations in terms of kill zones.  Hit them the same way you hit a deer. . the zone will be bigger, but if you can hit what you are aiming at (especially paper plate size) you can hit and kill the moose.  Keep striving for the smallest possible zone and you will be given lots of leeway when that big guy walks by.

If you have a Cabelas or similar store near by, go stand and sit in front of a full mount and just suck it all in,  their size, their shape.  Use your imagination and make the shot.

ChuckC

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
I stood beside some full body mounts and some 3D moose targets but don't have many chances to shoot at them. Cloverdale has some moose in thier course.

I have a big black horse that I can practice ranging on but I will try to get a life size target made up. I do have a bison target that might help some.

I don't have plans yet to do a moose hunt. I'm going to try and work something out in the next couple of years. I'm serious about doing this but have others to consider also.

Thanks for all your help.

Bona
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline MountainTool21

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
good information guys. The skunk 3d tends to be easier from 30 yards than does the moose 3d. Their kill zone is considerably bigger than most other animals but their size sure does cause one to shoot short. I have improved at judging the distance on a moose; and I shoot from many different distances and angles. Fun stuff. Andrew

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 09:31:00 PM »
In masters of the bare bow 1 or 2 Darrel Quidort had a nice excerpt about how he prepped for his moose hunt, he built a life size target. Cheap, thin, plywood, or even cardboard, use your imagination. Hit'em 1/3 of the way up and just behind his elbow.
 You should be able to put em in a 15" dia. circle at any range within your comfort zone, and just feel confident with that. With a 18" High X 16" Wide diameter "effective kill zone" you will have moose burgers for quite a while even with a 15" group!   :campfire:

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
Moose burgers, turnip greens and black eyed peas...yum, yum! Oops! Sorry, had a flash back from when I had to watch "Hee Haw" as a kid!

>>>---Bona--->
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 12:56:00 AM »
From a moose hunter's perspective... those whitetail deer sure are delicate little things, aren't they! Heck, we have a tendency to shoot over those critters because they seem so far away! LOL

In all seriousness though, moose usually do seem closer then they really are to people who are not used to seeing them.

Don't rush your shot since you should have a little more time then with a whitetail, being they are not as "coiled spring" high strung as a nervous mature buck. If you are in a situation that allows it, peek at other objects near the moose to allow your subconscious to adjust to the true distance.

The task will be coaxing or finding one out of the thick bush or tangled jungle swamps they call home and then getting the wind to your advantage long enough to get it or you within your effective range for a broadside shot clear of obstacles.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 01:31:00 AM »
Try using your thumb held at arm's length as a range finder. Figure out how many inches your thumb covers at known distances.
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 06:07:00 AM »
Bona,
  Hunted moose in 2009 with Eldon Jandreau, Hunters Point Guide service, ME. All offered above is good advice and I built a life sized target to practice on and get a feel for their size. Killed a very nice bull on the last day with my 54# LB shooting 750 gr. carbons and a Zwickey No Mercy head. However, I had heart ache early in the hunt when I hit a bull in the brisket which was unrecovered (but most likely survived). Was sure it was a heart/low lung shot. Their anatomy is different with vitals HIGH. The hunt was filmed and you can see it on the Hunters point website ( a sponsor here) if you like. Good luck, my moose hunt was the highlight of my hunting experiences.  Todd
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 08:23:00 AM »
Todd that is a beauty of a bull!!!  
Bona I'm going after moose this fall Hopefully I'll be able get some up close anatomy info to share.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline Potoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
Nice thread. It would be good to visit an area [Maine] and drive around in the afternoon and just observe them. It's fairly easy to get close in canoes too...if you have the time. I've done the same misjudging distance with elk targets so I appreciate the point.
Like it says on the can...'concentrate'

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 08:57:00 AM »
Todd, that video was waaay cool! Thanks for telling us about it. How many yards was the shot? I couldn't hear the video. Our computer stinks.

I've read that a minimum of 650 gr arrow should be used on moose. I've been shooting a 62# bow with a 670 gr. arrow a bit. That should do the trick. It's my trade bow. But it would be cool to shoot one with a bow that I've made. I'm going to work on a bow for myself that's atleast 55#. Bamboo backed or sinew backed osage or sinew backed juniper with cane arrows.

Joe, you HAVE to let us know how it goes on your hunt! Where are you going and what are you shooting?

Bona
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
TBM had an article about a year ago, or so. The gentleman used a big piece of burlap, cut and tied, spray painted to look pretty close!

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »
I remember that article!
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©