3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The smell of paint??  (Read 307 times)

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
The smell of paint??
« on: August 14, 2011, 01:27:00 PM »
So, I found possibly the best deal I ever saw on Craigslist last week. I found a Tree Lounge stand for $25.

So I bought it but it showed some signs of neglect of course and needed a little TLC. One side of the end extensions (where your feet go when setting)had been cracked long ago and a makeshift bracket screwed into the stand. So I removed the bracket and had a local welding shop weld up the crack and went ahead and re-welded the other side to be safe. Cost me $20 but I figured worth the cost.

So I had an old bowhunter adapter for a tree lounge that needed the plywood floor replaced which I did, then mounted all to the stand and did some painting to protect teh new welds and the new plywood. While at it I touched the whole stand up and gave it a decent breakup camo pattern.

Now my question, with deer season being about 4 weeks away here in GA, and the temps in the 90s each day, if the stand stays out doors would you think the paint would have cured beyond the point of having enough oder to alarm deer?

Usually I do this sort of thing after season closes so I have a full year but this was an unexpected acquisition and I would like to leave this stand on a hunting lease and use my other tree lounge when roaming or hunting public land.

Before:

and After:

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The smell of paint??
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
I think so.Most smell will be gone in a week.3-4 weeks should put you in good shape.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 01:35:00 PM »
I think if you paint it now and leave it out in the weather until the season opens most of the paint smell should have diminished. If you can leave it where you plan to hunt a few weeks ahead of time the deer will get used to the smell, if any. Your presents on opening morning will have a bigger impact on the deers activities.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dixiearcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 01:47:00 PM »
I agree...leave it outside and it will be fine...I have one of these and love it! Since I switched to trad, I have found that if you take it a couple days in advance to your hunting spot and set it about 3-4 feet off the ground and pile some brush around it it makes the best ground blind every!! Had a four point sniff my boots at like 3 yards 2 years ago and had no idea!
Preach the gospel, die, and be forgotten
-Count von Zinzendorf

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »
Not sure if the paint will bother them that much. Same as the rubber smell and such... everything has an odor.
Its the human or predator odor that turns them off.
Sl

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
Don't do it. Any paint worth putting on your stand will still be curing. Maybe you can't smell it unless you put nose to metal, but a deer could.

Now someone is going to come along and say its ok.  Can they guarantee it won't smell? Can the guy at the paint store, home depot or hardware store? Your auto body paint shop?

Its your hunt. That stand is the least smelling its going to ever be RIGHT NOW. Don't mess with that 4 weeks ahead your deer season. LESS smell is always better than MORE smell.

Let it rest until after the season is over. That is your best bet.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
If I were going to paint it, then I read jhg's point above....bet your butt I'd leave it alone for this season. Why chance it?  The paint is not going to help you get a deer, so maybe hold off?
David M. Conroy

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Paint it.   If they will smell the paint they will smell you.  Hunt the wind, as always.
ChuckC

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
amen ChuckC.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Paint it- paint odor they will smell but if they smell the paint then they will have smelled you as well.  As stated above- hunt the wind because the deer live by their nose!!
TIM B

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
I totally agree with Tim B while hunting, but does the stand stay in the woods when you're not there? I'm sure this is not a huge issue, but it could leave a foreign odor in the area.. just enough to sway mr. big. Deer move all over, not just on set trails. Just a thought to chew on...
David M. Conroy

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 08:04:00 PM »
if you used spray paint? 99% of all spray paints have a additive in them that makes the smell disapate in a few days, but either way id say your good if you just leave it out to air out as much as you can before season
Kevin Day

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
I wish I could hunt where you guys do. The wind where I hunt changes direction.

Also, I actually painted a back pack camo a couple seasons ago. After 6 weeks it still smelled like paint. I hunt the wind too, but what a giant extra red flag . I have had whitetails come up to me to 3 feet. What do you suppose I smelt like?
Nothing.
But not wearing that back pack.

Now I know someone is going to say it does not matter, just "HUNT THE WIND". I was taught that less smell is better than more smell. I totally disagree with anyone who suggests it does not matter.
In my experience it does matter, because the wind is not always going to cooperate and if it ever does by some fluke take your odor to a deer, why not have a chance to take that deer because you smell almost neutral? (rather than a can of paint.)
OK, I'm done;0)

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
jhg I have the same issues with wind as you. I always try to take advantage of "prevailing winds" but still during the course of any day the wind will change constantly.

YORNOC, I was planning to leave this stand in the woods, only taking it down if I needed to shift positions. I have other stands, just not as comfortable. So this one may wait till next season and use my API this year on my lease.

Karrow, yes it was spray paint. In all honesty after 48 hours I can't smell anything, but my nose is not a whitewails.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
That is an awesome deal. I got a tree lounger off of C-list for $125 and that's even a great deal, let alone 25.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 10:04:00 PM »
I think it will be fine.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©