3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Homemade Arrow Straighteners  (Read 173 times)

Offline burch

• Trad Bowhunter
Homemade Arrow Straighteners
« on: August 14, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »
Anyone have ideas or plans for an arrow straightener ?  I`m mainly interested in something for aluminums. I saw one here in a thread that looked like a piece of broom handle with a hook on the end but I couldn`t figure out how it would work. I`ve also seen the AD-500`s and another one that looked kinda like a cobblers tool and made of brass and was hand held that was really cool but can`t find one. Anyhow, I need some ideas please   :confused:  

Burch

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Homemade Arrow Straighteners
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
The hooked one is for woodies. I don't know of one for aluminum arrows. There may be such a critter, but it's been my experience that once you bend an aluminum arrow, it stays that way.

The hooked one works on wooden arrows by compressing the fibers on the side you rub. That makes the arrow bend back toward that side. I usually hand straighten cedar arrows, it's quicker and works as well for me, even though I do have a hook-type straightener.

Good luck in your search.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Don't know of a homemade one for Aluminum shafts... but there are several good ones on the market... I use an AAE  

P.S works on wood too...
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
Never seen a homemade one other than the one my dad the tool and die maker made for me, but as said there are a few good ones out there that I have seen that do the job. And aluminum will straighten nicely.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline burch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
I was just hoping someone had made something that`ll work. I can`t really afford the high dollar ones. Is their a commercial straightener that won`t break the bank to own one and accually works ?

burch

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
There's a cast aluminum "anvil" type straightener that works pretty well.  Don't remember where I got it.  I'm sure it was inexpensive.  It says
STRAIGHT 'N ARROW  on it.  No other marks.  Update:  I just did a quick search.  Looks like it's not made any more.  Can't put in link to *********** here for some reason. Now, if you're looking for home made, I guarantee that I could make one "like" the picture with a block of wood, two bolts, 4 nuts and a nail.  If you really wanted to get fancy, get some nylon rod, drill it to put the bolts through and you'd have something a bit softer to bend your arrow against.  I'd even suggest filing a flat on the nylon that goes over the bolt on the end.
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©