3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many still shoot Endless Loop Strings ??  (Read 839 times)

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many still shoot Endless Loop Strings ??
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
...which might explain why you can't find a video of it actually happening.  
I have seen the video--wish I'd saved it's location.  It's not important enough to me to spend a lot of time looking, as I don't have anything to prove.

When I make an endless string, I put a few twists in it--there's no reason I know of not to.  But, there might be a reason I don't know about--that's why I asked.  That's how I learn.

There are some well-known archers that feel that string parachute is a legitimate concern.  Obviously they are not only better shots than me, but smarter too--they don't get into these debates.  Only stands to reason that, if nothing else, it would add considerably to the string noise.

I just wanted to hear the reason for NOT putting in any twist from those who advocate it, if there is a reason.

Chad

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2011, 10:03:00 AM »
what chad just said - i always put some twists in an endless string to "round it off" - looks good and won't parachute ... HAH!  :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
You can put a twist in the endless loop if you want to shorten the string a bit.  Other than that, twisting it a few times will have no effect positive or negative, IMO.  If your string is initially the "perfect" length, then twisting it a bit can bring it back to that length if it stretches.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
Here's the very first instruction for an Angel Majesty endless bowstring.

"1. "Majesty" strings should be twisted between 20 and 40 times before installing the string into a bow."

Straight from the manufacturer.  AM is a bit different than other materials, because it has a coating on the strands, but I don't know that it makes that much difference.

I've e-mailed Ray at BCY to see what he can tell me.

Chad

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
here we go again with myths and old wive's tales.

endless bowstrings, or any bowstring type for that matter, have NOTHING TO DO WITH "HANDSHOCK" on release.  "handshock" is all about the BOW and ARROW, and maybe the shooter, too.  NOT ABOUT THE BOWSTRING.  

"parachute"???  if you THINK that's an issue, and it IS NOT, do what most endless string users do - round off the string with a coupla twists and make it more "aerodynamic".

and before it comes up again for the hundredth time, if you make up two bowstrings with the same string fiber and strand count, both strings will be of equal strength.

either string type will work just fine and get the job done.  this is purely SUBJECTIVE stuff.  the only real diff'rence 'tween the two string types is HOW THEY ARE MADE and how they look.  not how they perform for bowhunters.  period.

let's get back to shootin' and huntin'.
easy Rob. I'm not trying to argue with you, but I am smart enough to feel the difference between the two strings. I put some bow hush on my bow yesterday and seems to have made a difference. Regardless of what you say, I know what I feel with my bow when I shoot it.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
So, unless the Endless Loop string is built to "exact" length for the bow & has no twist "at all" how do ya bring it back to perfect brace ht. after they stretch some, cause they "all" stretch "some" ...

Offline L82HUNT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »

endless bowstrings, or any bowstring type for that matter, have NOTHING TO DO WITH "HANDSHOCK" on release.  "handshock" is all about the BOW and ARROW, and maybe the shooter, too.  NOT ABOUT THE BOWSTRING.  
I can tell a difference on my recurve, there is a buzz in the handle with a endless and not with a flemish.  Same arrows, same brace height.
  But I'm just a kid compared to some in shooting a bow.

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by L82HUNT:

I can tell a difference on my recurve, there is a buzz in the handle with a endless and not with a flemish.  Same arrows, same brace height.
  But I'm just a kid compared to some in shooting a bow. [/b]
maybe "buzz" is a better word for for what I feel instead of shock. Regardless, I feel it with the endless loop and not the flemish.

Offline newell38

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2011, 04:48:00 PM »
You're gonna have to tune your bow different for that string. Buzzing, noise, and vibration are all tuning issues. I shot and sold 100s of bows and I don't swap all the flemies out for endless for nothing......y because that's what I like and that's what works for ME. Almost every bow I sell still has that endless loop that I sold it with on it.  I've made a few believers and that makes my string maker very happy!
"The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.” – Arnold Schwarzenegger
Endless loop strings, heavy bows, and wood and only wood arrows...my kind of archery!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2011, 05:37:00 PM »
"bow shock" or "hand shock" is the prime result of bow and arrow issues, and maybe operator issues.  in the order of propelling an arrow, the bow limbs are the engine, the bowstring is the transmission and the arrow is the vehicle.  

if the string MATERIAL is hmpe polyethylene, it has far less elasticity than dacron polyester.  SO, if you spin up a string and twist up another string of the SAME fiber, there should be no difference in the "hand shock" category - you either gots some or you don't.  

BUT, if you go from dacron to hmpe there IS a possibility that the less stretchy fiber IS in some part responsible for the "shock", because you probably will need a different spine and/or heavier mass weight arrow as dictated by the higher performance of hmpe fiber.

but a string TYPE being responsible for "hand shock" - uh uh, not gonna happen, i've never seen any physics to prove that out.  if you think that's yer problem, look elsewhere for the culprit.    "[dntthnk]"

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
Chad... it's just a habit of mine from a long time ago. I couldn't back up my observations with hard numbers like we can today, but I really liked the way it made a bow shoot... typically a bow braced well below suggested height.

I still make em that way and I still like the hell out of them... I do have to serve my silencers in place though.

I started out with B-40 and things have changed a lot with all string material since then. I don't think about it much. Just make em and shoot em.
    ;)
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2011, 09:50:00 PM »
Folks, I really didn't want this to be a which is Better, Seriously, I was just wondering if anyone still shot Endless strings, thats all, but MAN did this take off, Not my intentions by Any Means ,,, Good Luck All ....

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2011, 10:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by AdamH:
Folks, I really didn't want this to be a which is Better, Seriously, I was just wondering if anyone still shot Endless strings, thats all, but MAN did this take off, Not my intentions by Any Means ,,, Good Luck All ....
don't see this thread as an "us and them", it's all good, just folks telling it like they see it and for all to make up their own minds about bowstrings.  like i said before, it's all good.  besides, nobody's brought up "skinny strings" yet.  :D

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
I went to shooting one recently, but I returned to the flemish.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Lamplighter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2011, 10:49:00 PM »
LBR

I am in need of a Dynaflight 97 flemish string. I don't know alot about how much this stretches, but I can tell you it needs to be around 56 7/8- 57" length after it has quit stretching. With that in mind, what length would I order to begin with ?  2 bundle is fine, I guess.

Bow is Martin Dream Catcher 50#@28, 60 AMO. I'd like to avoid so many twists that installing puffs is a p.i.t.a.  I would order on your site but I don't know what length. If I order too long, I end up with too many twists to achieve correct b.h.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
Thanks Charlie--an honest answer is all I wanted.  Didn't learn much from it though--lol.  I understand sticking with what works for you.

Lamplighter, I'll send you a p.m.

Chad

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2011, 11:47:00 PM »
I do have to serve my silencers in place though.
I imagine that would work about as well as twisting the string--just thought of that.

Waiting on a further reply from Ray at BCY--had to give him more detail.  He did say they recommend some twist in all of their strings.

For those that don't know, "Ray" is Ray Browne--head honcho at BCY Fibers, one of the top two bowstring manufacturers in the world.

Chad

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2011, 12:42:00 AM »
my flemish string got messed up this morning and since im leaving in the morning for denton hill i had to buy a endless loop string from a local proshop so i could shoot.  set it up how my other string was and gave it time to settle. fired 3 arrows at 10 yds and broke the nock off one and all 3 were touching feathers. will work until my new strings come in
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2011, 06:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by sawtoothscream:
...i had to buy a endless loop string from a local proshop so i could shoot.  set it up how my other string was and gave it time to settle. fired 3 arrows at 10 yds and broke the nock off one and all 3 were touching feathers. will work until my new strings come in
"will work until my new strings come in"     :laughing:

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
That is all I shoot on my Bear T/D's beacuse they WORK FOR ME...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©