3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow finish  (Read 147 times)

Offline fivebears

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow finish
« on: August 15, 2011, 08:48:00 AM »
Can I apply a tru-oil finish over top of a spar urethane finish or would I need to sand it off.The spar is thick and tacks up almost instantly and I'm afraid it will pull my new silkscreens off.Thanks for the help

Ken

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow finish
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
Something sounds strange...  Why are you afraid spar will pull off your silkscreens?  What wood have you covered with spar?

Offline fivebears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
I am putting the spar on the whole bow but it goes on kind of thick if I don't wipe it on with a little bit of pressure.Maybe I'm doing something wrong?I'm afraid if I try to wipe it on over top of the silkscreens I just applied it may screw them up.Maybe I should get the spray urethane.Thanks

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 06:41:00 PM »
Spar has a short shelf life, thats for sure. I've got a lot of gummed up cans kicking around.
David M. Conroy

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 07:17:00 PM »
Is it decals you are worried about? Spray a couple of light coats of poly over them first to "seal" them. Let dry thoroughly then finish with the spar. And yes, make sure it's not old and gummy.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
Spray for sure...if you are gonna wipe it on instead be sure to thin it down...10-20% mineral spirits will help that go smoothly...thin coats..thinner the better..

Offline fivebears

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 06:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the help guys.I had just bought the can of spar but it has he consistency of maple syrup.Maybe it needs to be thinned a little before applying at all.I've got some spray to use.Ken

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©