3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: longbows  (Read 295 times)

Offline raginroadrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
longbows
« on: August 14, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
Is there such a longbow that when shot doesn't try to rip your bow arm off of your shoulder???..I quit shooting them years ago because of this condition..has anyone come up with any new designs...and if so whom???...Thanks..Raginroadrunner

Re: longbows
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
I have had Hill style bows that had more kick than others.  If you have a standard Hill as available today with a modern string, shoot with a slightly bent bow arm, heal the bow if it is a standard grip and shoot 9 grains per pound or more, the hand shock will be nothing to worry about or hardly even noticeable.  The five Hill style bows I am shooting now, three have B50 strings and two a fast flight. None of them have much hand shock even with the B50 string, I use the fast flight because it allows me to use a slightly stiffer arrow.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
I have a Leon Stewart Slammer and had 0 hand shock...it is a R/D. I'm sure there are others out there also. If you get a chance to go to a Trad. event or shoot, give a few a try, I think you will be surprised.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
How much is too much? Shot mine through a wincing shoulder injury last year. Gradually improved up to my hunt weight. Have shot Hill bows wrong that near kicked me crosseyed. My fault. PM for more.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Bob B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
Mohawk, Deathwish, Stewart are some of the best in my opinion.  Oh yes, Dwyer, John McDonald and New Wood Longbows are excellent with little to no handshock.

Bob.
66"  Osage Royale    57lbs@29
68"  Shrew Hill      49lbs@29
68"  Deathwish       51lbs@29
68"  Morning Star    55lbs@29
68"  Misty Dawn      55lbs@29

Offline ripforce56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
I have 3 BamaBows longbows 2 D style 66inchers, and a 60 inch Reflex/Deflex! I suffered from left elbow Tendonitis for a long time I had no handshock issues with my Bamas very smooth! There are a lot of bowyers that build longbows that are very smooth!
BirchBark Rovers Custom Quivers 
Bama Royal Expedition T/D  #00027
Root Target Master 66in 40@28
SF Forged Plus/Carbon Elite 40lb Limbs 68in ILF
Schramm Recurve 62in 46@28

Schramm 62in Recurve 46@28

Offline shdwhwk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
I stopped shooting longbow for the same reason in '97. Wasn't even going to consider it after shoulder surgeries in '05 & '08. That is until my dad was trying to sell his Wes Wallace LB last fall, finally gave in, shot it....and well, bought it. It's 68" 55# and no hand shock, plus it's the smoothest bow I've ever owned.

Will be using it for deer/elk this season after 15yrs of hunting with a recurve only.

BTW: Have 2 more on order with Wes....  :help:

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
alot of good ones out there,   Mohawk, Crow Creek Dalton,  Liberty Contender etc.

Offline 58WINTERS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Check out the new Liberty Edge it's a hybrid deflex reflex design and has no hand shock. Allen is a Trad gang sponsor. Liberty Bows.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Its funny I have had elbow problems and been real sensitive to shock.  Just tried a longbow and due to the firmer grip that the high wrist light grip on a recurve have had no pain and shot a lot more than before!  Been shooting Big Jims Buffalo and a Great Northern Fireball more modern design with 600 + grain arrows and liking it a lot.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 11:56:00 AM »
There is a lot of great bows being made. Cooks mountain archery,Abbott,Kota,Dwyer,The list goes on.
>>>------John------>

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
I 100% of the time shoot my longbows ( listed below). I have not noticed ANY  handshock at all. I do shoot 750 gr arrow though which really quiets it down and absorbs any shock. Good luck with your search, with today's bows, I don't think you will have any issues .
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline DuffyRP

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 01:00:00 PM »
My Tomahawk and Mohawk are smooth as can be and I have shot a lot of Black Widows and didn't notice any hand shock.  Look for a reflex/deflex model that should take care of any hand shock.  Just ordered a Robertson Stykbow slight r/d but strings up like a D bow.
United Bowhunters of Illinois
Traditional Archery Society
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
John McDonalds R/D longbows are smooth as silk and no hand shock. givem A try.

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
I have found that if I shoot with a straight arm, no matter what kind of a bow I am using, my elbow takes more of a beating.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Whats the poundage you want to shoot? And when you work on your form with the longbow it will marry with your good form. Fit it with the right arrow and youve hit puberty. Harvest an animal and your a stud! I have a Hill @ 70# and a PSE  Viper @ 65# they both shoot smooth once you shoot for a while. I dont shoot curves at all,so i have a fondness for longbows.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
Cari-bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
Sounds like a form issue. I've NEVER shot a longbow, even a crappy one, that was that objectionable. And many that were pure joy. You can't go wrong with any of those mentioned.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 07:14:00 AM »
Hills shoot great - as do other styles of longbows, I'd imagine - providing you hold them correctly.  Handshock is just evidence that your grip is incorrect.

When I switched to LB from recurves, I had the same issue because I was trying to hold my Hill like I held my DH Hunter - bad idea.  Two or three shots and I spent more time looking for my left arm than I did for my arrows.  Came here, did a tiny bit of research to learn proper form and it's been smooth sailing since.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 07:36:00 AM »
I have four Morrison Shawnee longbows and one Morrison ILF longbow. They are smooth, fast, and shock free.(not to mention good looking too!)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©