3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where do you practice?  (Read 398 times)

Offline Firemandivi

• Trad Bowhunter
Where do you practice?
« on: August 15, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
I'm new to archery in general, but I took some advice from here and got myself a good used bow to start with.  Now I find that I can't really practice in my yard due to having neighbors too close.

I live in the Hudson Valley (southern NY), there is a 100yd range around 30mins away from my house but that would get expensive very quickly. There are some state forests near by that I believe are legal to shoot in but they are also very popular with mountain bikers and horse people.

I don't think people will believe me when I say I'm only stumping and I just see it being a problem, maybe I'm wrong, if you have any personal experience with that please let me know how it went for you.  So where do you practice and any suggestions from those without a large piece of property to shot on.  Thanks in advance.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where do you practice?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
Buy about 9 bales of straw and make a giant wall.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline kenn1320

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
I practice in my basement after dark and over the winter. When I lived in a subdivision I used my garage as my back stop and shot from the street into my open garage. If its not against your local ordinance, and you feel you are being safe, go for it.
I'm not a "deer" hunter, I'm a bow hunter that occasionally shoots a deer.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
Do you have a pro shop nearby that will let you put up a notice that you're looking for a place?  We're a like-minded audience here, but you need one that like-minded AND local.
Jim

Offline JV Rooster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:37:00 PM »
I go stumping on state game lands all the time,never any problems. Call your state game wardens and ask them.
>>>------John------>

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
I just moved to a new place... I have a garage and set up a target to do close "blind bale" practice for form and such in the garage. Have to leave town for "real" shooting. I am about 20 minutes from an awesome range but haven't joined yet. Will soon. So I think for me.. I'll do daily form stuff in the garage and make a few trips / week to the range until winter.. then we'll see.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline CEW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
I have stumped on state land without any incidents. Basement and garage also work.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
I shot in an army motel room for 5 months, a small appartment for 7 months, my trailer home in college, in the yard and to heck with the neighbors, and now on my 25 acres at home.  If you have only blunts and field points in your quiver it would be pretty hard to argue against your stump shooting motives, as long as it's legal to rove there in the first place.  Like other guys said, get a couple bales or a stall mat or two and make a backstop.  Or shoot in the house.
Silence is golden.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
This winter I will be getting a mat and some foam for my basement.  :D
55# Kodiak Mag

->>>-------->

Offline Firemandivi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I know I'm safe its the idiot neighbors I have to worry about calling the police because technically I need to be 500ft from a residence, which I can't do on my small 1/4 acre lot.  My basement/garage don't really allow for me to shoot inside, too small.  My house is just under 1000 sq. ft.

I've actually talked to the NYSDEC and they have told me its legal for at least one of the parks I need to call about another one, but I'm just concerned about people giving me trouble when I go walking into the woods with my bow is all.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
I have always managed to practice at home. I've lived in very close quarters and even in apartmart buildings. Now I practice in basement, off deck, in yard, and on a trail in the woods behind my house.

If you have a State Forest close it is easy enough to contact the agency and ask them. Archery is super safe and compatible around (even on) hiking and horse trails. Your dollars also paid for the purchase of and the upkeep of those properties. You'd simply obtain a couple portable targets and take them to the forest when you shoot.  Place them so you aren't shooting towards the trails.

As far as folks thinking you are hunting illegally, that's their problem. They should no sooner think you are up to no good than assume the horsey folks are gambling illegally. Be aware the horse-riding crowd is used to getting their way and many think everyone else is beneath them. Sorry for the editorial comment but after a career managing public lands and waters horse folks and sailboaters wore a bare spot on my psche. Too many of them want a lot for nothing.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
1)Daily in my basement 9 yard
2) Or a range drive 20 minutes to sportsmans club I am a member of to shoot further distances.
3) My favorite stumping on properties I have access to hunt hour to two hours drive though.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 01:34:00 PM »
I practice in my yard. When I go roving, I travel 10 miles away to some wooded acreage my wife's relatives own.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »
When practicing anywhere be real careful with having a proper backstop. About two weeks ago the KC area tv stations had an incedent where a guy was shooting his bow in his yard at just a target and had an arrow glance off. It ended up going thru a neighbors kitchen window and hit a grandmother in the jaw. She pulled the arrow out in front of her grandchildren at the kitchen table.Thank goodness she wasn't hurt worse. When they interveiwed her, her whole face was swollen and black and blue with a fair sized hole in her face. The shooter, when confronted by police and arrested said he didn't know it had happened.It was not good PR for archers.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2011, 02:05:00 PM »
I shoot at the office-40'. In my yard to 40 yds. At a nearby club any distance I want.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2011, 02:40:00 PM »
Garage with a bale target and three layer carpet backstop.  5 yards for form only.  At the range or
In the woods for roving and distance shooting.  Always be very careful when shooting at home.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by ksbowman:
When practicing anywhere be real careful with having a proper backstop. About two weeks ago the KC area tv stations had an incedent where a guy was shooting his bow in his yard at just a target and had an arrow glance off. It ended up going thru a neighbors kitchen window and hit a grandmother in the jaw. She pulled the arrow out in front of her grandchildren at the kitchen table.Thank goodness she wasn't hurt worse. When they interveiwed her, her whole face was swollen and black and blue with a fair sized hole in her face. The shooter, when confronted by police and arrested said he didn't know it had happened.It was not good PR for archers.
I have a slight hunch that wasn't from a trad archer....either way remember 4 rules of safety for a gun can be used for a bow also.
55# Kodiak Mag

->>>-------->

Offline Firemandivi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
Thanks again for the responses everyone.  I just got off the phone with NYSDEC and they said it's no problem practicing archery in the park closest to my house.  This is a park I frequently mountain bike at so I can only imagine the looks I will be getting from people as I head out with a bow instead of my bike but its legal and I will be sure to stay off the trails and use a proper backstop.  Thanks again for the info everyone.

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Keep in mind that if you go first thing in the morning you will rarely see anyone on the public land, most recreational users are out a little later.

Here in Michigan you have to have a small game license to stump shoot as there is always in something in season.  Make sure you check your laws.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 03:41:00 PM »
Jeremy, Where in the Hudson Valley do you live? Fred
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©