3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shipping a bow  (Read 641 times)

Offline defiant

• Trad Bowhunter
Shipping a bow
« on: July 02, 2007, 11:22:00 PM »
Like to get different techniques on shipping bows posted for members participating in the bow exchange. Any ideas?

Offline dachba

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shipping a bow
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
Since most of those bows will be longbows, you need to keep the bow from moving in the box and protect the tips.  Thick scrap leather or old socks folded over multiple times works for the tips.  Newspaper or bubble wrap, wrapped around the riser until you have to force the bow into the box, suspends the bow and keeps it from moving around in the box.

I ship Priority Mail in two (free from the PO) Priority Mail triangular boxes taped together (insert one into the other then tape.  Make sure the box is exactly as long as the packaged bow.  This also keeps the bow from moving around).

Note: there are two sizes of triangular box.  You need the bigger ones.

Alot of people use PVC pipe or other available boxes from furniture or lighting stores.

Dave in Ft. Collins, CO
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Offline Voodoofire1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 11:37:00 PM »
I ship my T/D longbows in a very well packed arrow box.. priority mail. never had a problem ..yet.
True happiness is not having what you want, it's wanting what you have!

Offline dachba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
Another note on PVC Pipes and shipping longbows:

I received a beautiful longbow a few years ago.  It was a one of a kind and couldn't be replaced.  The guy who shipped it thought he did a good job packing it by putting it in a PVC pipe and capping the pipe  with wood and tape (he cut circular pieces of wood).  The bow was able to move around in the pipe and someone evidently dropped it hard on its end (the end with the sharp bowtip).  To make a long story short, the bow speared through the wood at the end of the PVC pipe, and arrived at my house dragging on the ground.  The tip overlays (part of the uniqueness of the bow) were gone, and the glass lamination lifted on the end.  I was able to repair the bow but am just trying to make a point that a tough container isn't enough.  You also need to suspend the bow and protect the tips.

Dave in Ft. Collins, CO
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Offline geno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 12:24:00 AM »
what about the heat effecting the limbs? sitting in the back of a tractor trailer on the way or layed over?
"Learning how to shoot a bow is easy if you learn the right way"..Howard Hill

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
The last 2 I shipped were in carpet roles I got from the local carpet store. If you go there they will probably give them to you for free. Make sure you get the heavy duty ones. If you can cut the tube with a box knife it probably isn't heavy enough. Then just make a couple of caps from plywood and screw them on. I agree with the above though. You still need to wrap them well to avoid damage.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline defiant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 12:31:00 PM »
Great ideas for packing keep them coming.What about the type of mail delivery? Thanks Frank

Offline Bowchef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 12:35:00 PM »
No UPS!!!  USPS or FedEX only.  I use the triangular tubes mentioned earlier and pack the ends with newspaper.  I also heavily bubble-wrap the bow with special attention to the ends.  Always pay insurance with the carrier.
Doug

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 06:21:00 PM »
Definitely USPS!!!! Previous troubles with the other carriers have convinced me to stick with USPS.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 09:24:00 PM »
I am a machinist and we get these really thick cardboard tubes that steel places use to ship various kinds of metal.  I can stand on them and they won't even flex, and I weigh about 200#. I usually stuff newspaper into the ends and crimp the ends of the tubes and seal off with lots of duck tape.  I have shipped quite a few bow this way.

Offline defiant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 11:45:00 PM »
Question for guys that use PVC pipe to ship bows.How do you you address it? Do you have to wrap it in paper then label it or just use some kind of permanent marker directly on the tube? Thanks Frank

Offline dorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 12:10:00 AM »
probably use a sticky label and then tape it over with packing tape .

VOODOOFIRE1 you forgot about that one bow you sent me it turned pink before it got here .   :bigsmyl:    :bigsmyl:
" If I fail trying my hardest did I really fail ? "

Jeff Dorris
11/16/1970 ~ 3/30/2010
Rest In Peace

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 12:15:00 AM »
Use an old carpet tube, ya can get them free and they are tough. Ya can go to Home Depot and get end caps that will fit them in the plumbing section. Total cost for tube and end caps under $1. Shawn
Shawn

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 12:22:00 AM »
Well guys... i'll tell you about the package i just recieved.! it was a 12" piece of one of those priority triangular boxes that had a stamp on it saying " contents not recieved"...this means that the dwyer that i had just payed for last week is gone! someone ripped it off between oklahoma and michigan... i know it was shipped and insured but havent gotten a response from the seller...But, so far from my end..i'm out a bow and the money.. I think it is up to the seller to make the claim.. if you guys know any info on how the postal service insurance claim work..please pass it along.. because im a sick puppy right now!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 12:47:00 AM »
I will tell ya the P.O. has gotten almost as bad as UPS when it comesto paying a claim. They all now(carriers)use improperly packaged as a defense not to pay the claims. I saw one denied on a broken LB that was  shipped in heavy weight pvc.! Best of luck, go to the postal web-site and see whgat it says. I had a claim for  a widow that i recieved that was all busted up, it was sent to me and we both, buyer and seller made claims with me getting my money back. It only took 6 months!! I was very lucky, even though the bow wasd 5 years old,  I called Widow and asked about repair, the limb tips were delaminated. Ken said send itin and they would look at it. I recieved a call one week later from Mr. Beck himself saying it was not repairable, he than floored me by saying he was sending me another bow, but it was an exotic and if I wanted it, I would have to pay  $150 for the upgrade!! I got a free bow and my $650 back that  I paid for the one damaged in shipping!! Great company that Widow works!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 12:53:00 AM »
shawn..no bow in this package... just a remnant of the priority box with the shipping and insurance labels, and address labels attached in a clear plastic bag... oh yea.. the post office did stick a note on it stating "'we are sorry that your package was damaged in transit and we hope this doesnt create to much of a inconvenience for you.... i just cant believe it!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 12:56:00 AM »
Ya may have them there, as it sounds like they admiitted bad handling which could of resulted in your bows theft. Did I sell you a Browning bow not long ago? Shawn
Shawn

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 12:57:00 AM »
Shawn...no... you bought 6 ce 150's off of me a while back..that has been our only transaction..
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 12:59:00 AM »
Shawn..i should of asked..... Can both the seller and i make the claim..or is it only the shipper... he would have the insurance reciept.. at least i hope he kept it...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 01:00:00 AM »
It may not have been stolen. It could show up in one of the Postal service unclaimed auctions. It may have been torn in any of a lot of places. Have the shipper file a claim and keep everything from the transaction. It will most likely take a while, but you should get your money back.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©