3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Simmons Tiger Shark or VPA Terminator  (Read 467 times)

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
Simmons Tiger Shark or VPA Terminator
« on: August 15, 2011, 08:30:00 PM »
I'm trying to decide between these two broadheads for hunting whitetails and turkeys here in NJ.  I'm shooting a Hill Sirocco and a Hill Badger, both of which are in the 40-45# range.  

I'm looking for 175gn heads and these two rose to the top of my list after hearing so many good things about both VPA and Simmons.  I like the idea of shooting a 1 9/16" 2-blade vs the 1 1/8" of the Terminators.  I also like the price compared to the VPAs. I think I asked a question regarding 2-blade vs. 3-blade out of 40# bows before, and I think that 2-blade was recommended, but my brain is foggy on that.  What's the consensus regarding that issue?  

Tipping my arrows with either would get me to about 550gn total, with 260 up front (using 85gn brass inserts).  While we are on the topic, how's that arrow weight sound for my quarry?  

I'm new to much of this and I know there's a wealth of knowledge out there.  Hit me with it.  Thanks.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Simmons Tiger Shark or VPA Terminator
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
I hunt not too far away from you in NY and my choice is to go with the three blade VPA. It's not a wide head at all and flies super plus it is one sharp SOB. I'm using the 160 grain glue on and have complete faith it will burn through any deer or bear. I using a 50lb bow with complete confidence.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
Your arrow weight is fine IMO. I really like the looks of both those heads. It would come down to which one I could get the sharpest. For me thats a 2 blade head.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline AMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
I've got to back the Simmons, been too good too long not to!

Offline Onlyaspike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
I havent shot the VPA's but my 165gr Landsharks fly PERFECT for me out of my recurve.....Im planning on taking a fat doe with one right off the rip come early Oct. here in Ohio ...
Hoyt Gamemaster 2....APG Camo 45#

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
I have both and the reason I will say the VPA is because of the Non-vented design,, like a 2 blade that sucker should slide right through...  

I personally believe that vented heads catch on flesh and bone upon penetration and during pass-thru (or almost passthru) it may not be significant with 50# + but with anything less it does and its my opinion but the birth of "non-vented" 3-blades has changed alot of things for light weight shooters like myself..

other than that I say its based on what you can sharpen,, the VPA will be easier and the simmons I think you need a bit of experience to get them right and they are tricky for me,, centaurs are worth a look too but again tricky to sharpen at first and another favorite of mine for light weight is Abowyer which just needs a few strops on cardboard or denim and its a brutally sharp head.
"Us vs Them"

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Many animals have been shot with those Simmons heads. They are proven. The VPA is a new design without extended field results. Still, it is a great design. I believe the narrower head will penetrate better for you, the wider head may produce larger bloodtrails. I shot the larger TreeShark at 50# and was happy with the results but not with the penetration, if that makes sense. Get em sharp and try either one. You can always switch next year.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
You'll get two holes with either head with your setup, but I've got to recommend the Simmons.  I'm just not a fan of making a hole that I can plug with my thumb.

If you need any advice on sharpening them, let me know.  I'll help you any way I can.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
I bought the 175 grain Tiger Sharks.  I have never been great at sharpening so I also bought their Steelmaster sharpener.  I was shaving hair in a matter of minutes.  They fly like darts as well.  I was shooting Magnus 2 blade before and these fly better and more like field points in my opinion.  I bought the 4 blade heads so I can use them as two blade or 4 depending on the game I am hunting.  I have no experience with the VPA's.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
You get those Simmon's heads good and sharp and you'll love the blood trail they leave.  I've found them to fly great too.  :thumbsup:

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
I like the smaller 3 blades as well . I shoot some stuff with old type woodsmans but I also love the simmons heads.Much better bloodtrails. I was challanged at getting them sharp till Chris"Landshark" showed me how. I can have them shaving quick now. I have a quiver full of Interceptors for this years critters.RC

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Terminator, hands down, fly like a dart, very easy to sharpen and you just thought you have seen a blood trail, till you put one of those things through some vitals. If I shoot a 2 blade it a Aboyer single bevel, never cared for the Sharks.  Just my oponion.  RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
The quality of the Terminator is better and it will penetrate all the way through and leave a great blood trail. The Landshark is great too and will do all that you are talking about, and far more if you ask it too. These are both great heads that are more than enough for your purposes. Choose either one. If price is a concern, go with the Landsharks. I personally prefer shooting the Terminators, but would be happy to use the Landsharks any day. You cannot go wrong with either.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
I am going with the 175 gr. Terminators this year. I am also buying some 145 gr. STOS 2 blades for use with 30 gr. aluminum adaptors, mostly to test. But out of the gate I'm going with the Terminators. Easy to sharpen is the main reason.

I like what the Landshark guys have been saying about them and I am going to try them, but not this year. My only concern is sharpening them. Price is good and they look cool. I'll be knocking on Chris' door when I get some.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  Anyone out there try the Woodsman Elite in 175gn screw-on? The 175s are non-vented and come pre-sharpened by KME. Obviously I would do what it takes to get them hair popping sharp if they aren't right out of the package. Here are the specs as per 3Rivers:

*Machined from a solid piece of Tool-Grade Steel *Pyramid tip for Strength *Advanced Pure Teflon® coating for DEEP penetration *Excellent Edge Retention with 50 Rockwell *100 & 125 grain models have 1 inch cutting diameter *125, 175, 200, & 250 grain models have a 1 1/8 inch cutting diameter *Proudly Made in the USA *Lifetime Guarantee

Sounds like a great head.  Basically the same as the Terminator I guess.  There are just too many options out there.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
Couple things that haven't been mentioned....

The sharks a cheaper, if you buy them as glue ons and use inserts.

And they are tough.  I have been using them for a little over a year and I shoot BHeads for practice often and haven't bent one yet.  I have bent most BHs out there, not these.  I don't know why either...

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
I have some Woodsman Elites and aside from the color I can't tell the difference. Is there a difference?
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 05:22:00 PM »
Just buy and hunt with both.  I'm a Simmons Shark fan and I plan on hunting both the 175 Tigersharks and the 175 VPAs this year.
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
Vpa terminator! They penetrate like a slender 2 blade but leave a bloodtrail like a snuffer.
James Kerr

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
The woodsman elite is made by vpa and they just make the lighter weights the same length but with vents in them for 3rivers. Their terminators are the same head in the heavier weights (175 grains and up) but the terminator remains a solid head even down to the 125 grain but it is much shorter.
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©