3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GPS Help  (Read 249 times)

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
GPS Help
« on: August 16, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
I purchased a Garmin 60CSX gps (yes you folks recommended that model and as usual cost me more money) to use in upstate PA and on a Kansas trip.  I haven't purchased any additional map just because I honestly don't have any idea what I'm doing with this thing    :dunno:  

All I want it for is marking hot spots, stand locations and finding my way back to my vehicle in new areas. My thoughts were....get a topo, locate the funnels, head in on foot to check them out, mark them on the gps, hang a stand and go.

Any help from you folks would be appreciated.  Do I need any extra downloads on this thing???

Tim

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: GPS Help
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Tim,
Great unit you got there bud !

The way I used mine was to get on google earth, find the funnels, inside corners, etc, etc first. Write down the coordinates on a small notepad then hit the woods. I would plan out a route to hit 6-8 of those spots entering in the coordinates one a time as I went to each spot. Once there, if I needed to fine tune the exact tree I would hunt I would write down those coordinates or go ahead and mark and name it in the unti right there.

By doing it this way from the couch first I saved a ton of time and effort. I also found that what I could see from google earth that my gut feelings were right most of the time once I actually got to that spot on the ground. The sign would be right where it should be. Love the measuring tool on google earth ! I know how far a walk it is from access to the spot before I even get there. With the birds eye view of Google you can also find back doors and short cuts to your spots and know how far you are from other properties and hunting pressure. Technology can be so cool !
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:56:00 AM »
Read the manual and decide what functions you will use.  Then go stump shooting and practice using
Them. I would learn the track function.  It can be helpful for getting in and out of stands in the dark. I have the same model of gps.  I use mine to get back to camp in heavy timber after dark a lot.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Tim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
Thanks Jimmy.....I'll give that a try later on tonight.  So you don't have any topo maps on the gps and are basically relying on google earth?

Have you ever looked at Map Quest Satelite view?  It seems to be a litte crisper than Google Earth.

Tim

Offline bosteldr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
http://mapper.acme.com

Try Acme Mapper you can easily convert to Satelite, Topo and also change your corrdiance reference Lat Long to UTM.

I find it more useful than Google

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
You can also download free topos for Garmin GPss at gpsfiledepot.com
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©