3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Packing elk out  (Read 368 times)

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
Packing elk out
« on: August 16, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Just wondering-  what's the average weight of the hindquarter of a cow elk?  Skin off, bone in.
Thanks
TIM B

Offline Elk whisperer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Packing elk out
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 11:06:00 AM »
80-100
The older I get the better I was

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
it only takes a couple minutes to remove that bone and saves packing another 5-10 pounds out of the woods ? just some food for thought bd

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
I'm with bowdoc, bone it all out and save some weight.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
If you bone it all out on the spot I think the total weight will end up more in the range of 200-250# total.  Break that down into 3 or 4 loads and it becomes very managable.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
and by boning it out you'll open up those heat-holding bone sour trouble spots like the shoulder and hip joints. doesn't take long and you'll have more and better meat for the table besides the lighter load
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
Glad I asked!  Good food for thought!  
Thanks and keep the info coming!
TIM B

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 12:57:00 PM »
There is a site, Elk101.com, that has a clip titled "Gutless Video."  It is a how to on boning an elk, and looks like a better method then what I have been using. It might be of help.

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
Very rarely do you get the opportunity that you don't have to bone it out right away to save the meat from spoilage.
Figure the average sized 6point is about 5-6 packs of de-boned meat.
Good luck!

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
We've boned out our large game animals for years and packed only meat.  Saves the meat from souring and your back and legs from collapsing.  LOL

With a little practice you can bone one as fast as you can quarter one.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
RE one of those IdahoCurt's times. A friend of mind in Philomath Oregon stuck a nice 6x6 bull up in the Tillamook State Forest near Timber back in the 80s. It ran down hill and then over a ridge. Phil waited and waited and fretted and then trailed it. Found it down on a steep bank right above the road. He ended up lowering his tail gate and backed into the high bank and the bull and a load of dirt slid right into the bed.

One in a zillion.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
The Gutless Method is great.  Two of us had a bull down to the skeleton and the meat hung on a pole in 45 minutes one year - it was getting dark and we only had mag lites with us.  With the advent of headlamps like the Black Diamond and Petzel it would be no problem in the dark.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Much easier to bone out the carcass and as others have said saves alot of unnecessary weight and typically you can skin and bone out a carcass without having to remove any of the sections as well and no gutting!  Just lay the meat out on the skinned out hide and seperate into equal bundles to pack out.  Hint-game bags come in very handy for this when stuffing in your pack!  2 or 3 guys can carry out a smaller boned out elk fairly easily in 1 trip!
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
If in Colorado, just remember you need to leave the evidence of sex
attached to a quarter or you will be in big trouble.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
It would be a very rare cow that weighed 100, or even 80 if cut off at the hips.  

I cut both hinds off a Roosevelt cow, just in front of the hips and packed them out in one piece.  They weighed 165 pounds.  When done, and the pack wasn't that far, I thought I had herniated everything, down to my nose hairs.  

Toejammer's advice is pretty good for all states.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »
LKH,

That's funny  :laughing:  

I DO know what you are saying, though I've never even contemplated a pack that heavy.  Heaviest I did was 94#'s for 4 1/2 miles up hill and ended at 9500 ft. - never again.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online oxnam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
I would estimate 70-85.  I had a decent raghorn whose hind quarter (with half the of pelvic bone attached) only weighed about 80.

Offline screamin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
I gutted my first elk and will never do that again, it was a complete waste of time. I also had my brother with me that trip and he took out a hind quarter bone and all, it felt like it weighed about 80 pounds or so. Definitely a load all by itself.

My next one I skipped the gutting and boned out the entire elk. One load included the meat from one hind quarter, the backstrap from that side, the tenderloin and a little shoulder meat. Second load is the same and the third load you take the rest of shoulders and neck. Each load weighs around 50 to 60 pounds. The 4th load would be the rack, head and hide. For me if its a cow, there is no 4th load.

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
For a 6'5" guy, packing out a hind quarter with the hoof on means all the tree limbs below 10 feet are %#$%#!.  

In fact, I could become even more descriptive.... 'cause I've done that before....

Let me just say that, when you whack a tree limb carrying that much weight on your back, you'd wish you'd done it differently. And that's not even mentioning the cooling effect of boning the meat on the spot.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©