3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: zwickey broadheads  (Read 919 times)

Offline cody94

• Trad Bowhunter
zwickey broadheads
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
just bought some zwickey deltas at the guernsey county bow shoot. use to have eskimos, the deltas look devastating. wondering how good are the deltas. could i possibly get some stories.
OH BOY IS THIS GREAT!

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: zwickey broadheads
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »
Just as good as eskimos. Shot placement is what counts.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
I 2nd KM. Zwicks have long been around. No wonder.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
I cannot tell any difference in performance between the deltas and eskimos.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Dave Earley

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 02:16:00 PM »
I used nothing but Delta's for many years until I had a windplaning incident; switched to Stos and never a re-peat.  Probably was my fault, not the head - mine killed plenty of deer and they are easy to sharpen
Dave Earley

"Papa shoot arrows at deer, we eat tasty steaks !"  Matt, my 3 yr old grandson.
Leon Stewart Slammer 64"  55#

Offline RkyMtn Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
I have been shooting Zwickeys 4-bladed Deltas for around 50 years I guess---more than 40 for absolutely certain.  I think they are fantastic and have never felt the need or desire to change.

I got a complete shoot thru on a 290 pound Mulie back in '93 which cut ribs on both sides and never slowed down it seemed.  That big boy dropped within 40 yards.  I have taken close to 40 deer over the years with the Big 4-bladed Delta and never had a problem with any of them.  I think they're as good as any and better than most.

Joe

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
Story 1: My 2nd year deer hunting I was shooting a 45# Grizzly tipped with deltas. On opening morning I was conveniently sick from school and went to the stand  ;) . About 7:45 a.m. A doe came out of the woods and passed at 5 yds from my stand. The bow was not drawn to full draw, I'm guessing at that point I was actually drawing 35# roughly. The arrow went through both lungs and punctured the other side of the doe just behind the right leg.

Story 2: October 07', Was late getting to the stand set up on a bean field and woods. A solid 7 pt. came out just as light was fading. I knew I hit him a little far back but found him not 100 yds from the stand the following morning. I hit him and it angled from the liver back into the gut and 6" of arrow was sticking out.

Story 3: October 08' 2nd day of deer season and in the early morning light a nice 13 pt. buck walked out at 20 yards. I was setup on a fence row on a bean field. I drew released he ran ~50 yards and piled up in sight.

Story 4: October 09' I was setup in a natural ground blind right off the edge of this field. It got to be close to closing time and heard something coming around the edge when I saw a nice wide 4 pt. came walking around. He was walking at a good pace I shot and knew it was a little in front. Tracked him down and found out it blew through his shoulder blade.

In conclusion, Don't worry about Zwickey a razor edge takes care of itself. Just focus on putting it in the boiler room.  :D
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
I shot a buck that field dress at 227 pounds on the move with a 57 pound at 27" super Kodiak with Deltas on 2018s.  I was hunting in a woods ravine bottom, I heard the deer about a hundred yards up coming down the ravine towards me.  They were on a trail that was about 30 yards up from the bottom heading down towards the river. I climbed onto a blow down to get above the brush for the steep up hill shot that I was hoping to get.  The buck was leading a group of four deer.  As they came towards a small gap or clearing in the sticks, I gave the lead buck about a two foot lead and released.  The arrow caught the buck only a couple inches high of center just behind the shoulder.  The arrow went through the buck and up into some lower branches.  the buck took off hard ran about 40 or 50 yards then rolled and skid to a stop. After all was quiet my arrow rattled down out of the branches.  
  One other event from that day. While we were dragging the buck out, we came to a coyote that was coming straight into the wind towards us.  He stayed put in an alfalfa field as we passed less than 40 yards from him.  As soon as we passed he went straight to our skid trail and headed for the gut pile.  When we got back to the car, we remembered that we left the plastic bag with the liver hanging on a branch half way up the hill and ran back for it.  Too late, coyotes have no fear of plastic bags with deer liver in them.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
Cody....I don't have enough time to tell you all the Zwickey Stories I have.....but will tell you that I've been using them since the mid 80s....the Delta 4 blades....and they have been VERY productive for me.

Lots of good and great heads on the market....but for general hunting and whitetails....hard for me to stray away from the Delta 4 blades.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline rholzie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
KodiakMag & Pavan...Great stories! Hope to have a story or two myself this year! Still looking for my first trad. harvest. I've been sharpening my "Z" Deltas the last couple of days now! T-minus 45 days till the opener here in Mich.!!
~Whisperstik MojoStik~
~Predator Hunter~
~'70 Kodiak Mag~
~Centaur~
~Kanati~

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
# 1) It was the Friday after Thanksgiving, 2009, and I overslept, so it was pretty light when I climbed into my son's stand. Mine was just too far into the timber to risk making the walk and bumping deer heading for the beds. I had just sat down, nocked an arrow and hung my bow when I saw a buck in walking along the creek about 75 or 80 yards away. He was just about to cross the path I'd walked in. I pulled out my can call and gave him a doe bleat. He stopped dead in his tracks, turned and headed right at me. I hadn't even had time to put on a face mask. I slowly reached for my bow as he walked behind some brush. There was a scrape about 12 yards away at about the 11 o'clock position. He made it to the scrape, stopped and stood broadside to me...with a fork handle sized limb right across his vitals...damn!

I thought I could just ease out to the end of the stand and maybe get a shot over the limb. As soon as my foot came down on the stand it let out a (seemingly) loud squeak! Double damn! He lit out without even looking to see where the squeak came from. I pulled out the can call and hit it again. He was about 40 yards away and slammed on the brakes instantly. He stood there for a bit, so I thought, what the heck, I bleated one more time. He wheeled around and came right back at me. This time he stopped about 22 yards away and obligingly turned broadside again. Even though it was still kind of dim (legal but dim), I could make out a nice hole through the limbs that lined up perfectly with his vitals. I came to anchor, picked my spot, and said to myself, "I've got this shot." The next thing I recall is the arrow going through that opening in the branches. Then it disappeared and the buck lit out like his tail was afire. My first thought was how could I miss him? Then I looked at the ground just past where he had been and saw my arrow, but the yellow fletching had an odd orange hue. YES! I climbed down as quietly as I could and sneaked over to my arrow.

Elated, I made myself go back to the tree and wait. I called my cousin/hunting partner, who was at work. Then I called my son/other hunting partner, who was at his in-laws' house 50 miles away for a "family" thing. I told them that I was sure I'd made a good shot and would call them back when I found him.

I waited about 20 minutes, then I walked back to my truck (only 100 yards or so) to get my knife...I was late, remember. As I was walking back toward my arrow, I looked out into the open pasture and this guy was lying about 75 yards from where I shot him.

By the time I had him field dressed, my son was there and helped me load him. I was sure glad to see him since my back had been giving me fits for a few days. Trying to field dress a buck by yourself when you can't bend over is a bit of a trick, but I got that done. I don't think I could have loaded him though. Thanks, Dave!

He's certainly not a huge 8 point, but he was my first buck. I started bowhunting late in life and usually just took the first doe that gave me a shot. Actually, I would have done that on this morning, since season was getting late.

The recipe was a 58" Kanati longbow, 46# @ 28", Beman ICS Bowhunter 500 shaft, Zwickey Delta with a 100 grain insert. The total weight was 519 grains with 22 percent FOC. The arrow passed through both lungs, penetrated about 1 1/2" into the frozen ground, then flipped over and was pointing back from whence it came.

#2) I had been trying for four years to kill a turkey with a bow...unsuccessfully. I have had a lot of fun and some near misses, but no bird in the freezer...until this spring. I have learned a lot about turkeys in these four years. Mostly that knowing a lot about turkeys doesn't help you kill one.    :banghead:  

This year I kept moving my blind to until I finally had a pretty good idea where toms were going to pass by. We have so many hens in our area that you really have to just try to get in the right spot and wait because they rarely if ever decoy. I had watched several toms and 30 or so hens in the field all morning. They would come and go, but always seemed to be about 50 to 75 yards away. I'd call because just sitting in a blind doing nothing is really boring. It entertained me, but the turkeys were not impressed.

Finally, at about 10:30 a.m. two hens and a tom left the field about 100 yards south of me. At about 10:45 one of the hens came back out. I made a few clucks and putts and she came right to my set. I had a hen and a jake decoy out about 10 yards northeast of my blind. She went on past them and fiddled around at the edge of the woods. I kept checking out my other windows for the tom, thinking he might just follow her. Nothing...for about 15 minutes. Just me and the hen...then she was gone! I was looking out my north window trying to find her when I caught movement in my front window. I slowly turned my head and there he was...five yards from my blind...stopped...looking at my jake. I had my bow in my hand, but couldn't move to shoot without him seeing me at that range. I held my breath...finally, he started for the jake. Now he was in full strut. I waited. He moved out of my line of sight, so I drew my bow and leaned forward. He was standing right in front of the jake about 8 yards from me. It was a quartering away shot, but the arrow was true. It severed the tendons between the leg and thigh, cut a quarter-inch-thick wing feather in half, split the breast bone in two and sliced the far side lung in half before being stopped by the wing bones on the far side.

Here is the end of the story.

My set-up was a Hidden Hunter blind, 56" Dryad Orion recurve, 50# @ 28", ICS Bowhunter cut to 28.5", Zwickey Delta with 75 grain steel adapter to stiffen the spine a touch.

There you have a couple of Zwickey Delta stories. I shoot the two blade version. They are pretty devastating! I've never had an issue with flight with them. They shoot great for me.    :archer:
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
Zwickey's are great heads second only maybe to a bear razorhead.
James Kerr

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »
They will do the job if you do yours.  I like the Delta 4 blade personally.  Easy to sharpen, and really haven't seen a difference in penetration to my Magnus 1's I shoot on deer sized game.
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »
I was out drilling the foam tonight with Zwickey NO MERCY right bevel BHs and they flew like darts....

A little bit of touch-up sharpening, polishing off the burr, and then I am ready for ELK!

:jumper:    :jumper:    :jumper:  

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline cody94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
nice deer and turkey 30coupe. congrats
OH BOY IS THIS GREAT!

Offline $bowhunter$

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
im pretty sure Frank told ya how good they were cody......
"SHOOT STRAIT" - something im still working twards

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
I'm partial to two blade heads, but any head thats been around as long as the Delta's has got to be good. Sharpen those things up and get after it. You do your part and I'll bet the Delta will shine.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 03:16:00 PM »
Like everyone else i have used them.  I test an use alot over the years.  Last year, I bought six and had a doe come in I was sitting on groudn with 45 longbow, I came up and froze, when she turned and relaxed I finished my draw and shot her, quartering away.  I watched her run, I waited, got up walked to where I hit her, seen little blood, no arrow.  stepped back and it was 34 yards.  I felt that I hit her little back and decided to wait till morning.  Next, morning walked to bottom of creek and up fround my arrow broadhead still sharp and no nicks.  walked 20 yards there she lay,  I zipped through the last rib, through the organs, through the other ribs and out.  That reminded me of it bein as good as magnus and how I remembered.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Too many animals have fallen to the single blade Eskimo, great head that I have been using since '78.
This year I added some single blade Deltas to my arrows.

I'm old fashioned, find something that works, stick with it. Confidence...Confidence...Confidence....
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Buckwheaties

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
Are the bleeders hard to sharpen?? Also do you sharpen the back of the blades? How hard to do??
"Don't listen to what they say, watch what they do."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©