3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice on hunting clothing  (Read 569 times)

Offline Michael Peschek

• Trad Bowhunter
Advice on hunting clothing
« on: July 03, 2007, 12:51:00 AM »
I will be new to hunting this fall and need some advice on some clothing. I will be hunting entirely on the ground and need some quiet but warm clothing without breaking the bank.

For some heavier weight stuff I have been looking at the Columbia Gallatin Range Wool Jacket and Bibs. It seems to be reasonably priced.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Michael

Offline curlis

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice on hunting clothing
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 12:55:00 AM »
Some type of lined fleece would work well.
Pick a spot and concentrate!

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 01:30:00 AM »
Micheal I have been told by friends, whose opinions I respect, that the Gallitin Range wool os not warm below freezing.
If you want camo and effective camo at that I would recommend a ASAT Pro Vanish 3D (leady suit) you can wear anything you want under it. So you can go to a second hand store and buy wool overalls and a wool jacket or sweater and such and then just wear the leafy suit and be harder to see. In warmer weather you can wear it over shorts and a t-shirt. I would recommend for cold weather a silk base followed by merino wool longjohns followed by wool clothes. 20 ounce minimum weight. Codet from Canada makes decent 28 ounce wool at a decent price.
Remember to keep feet warm in the coldest temps get your boots at least one size bigger and if possible wider than usual, and don't wear so many socks that your boots are tight. Boots should be more more than lightly snug. Once again I recommend a silk liner sock and a wool outer sock. A wool toque or stocking cap will help keep your brains from getting numb. I you have any questions you can pm me. I grew up in Michigan so I know how to stay warm afield.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 06:30:00 AM »
Everyone's body reacts differetly to temp extreams.  I do not get cold nearly as easily as most of my hunting partners but get me out in hot weather and I almost want to cry.  That said, you are going to have to figure out your exact needs with experience but the basics are the need for layers - Lots of layers depending on outside temp.  Extreams - Feet and hands get cold the fastest so if you are going to spend money do it on BOOTS.  Due to the activity hands need to stay warm but still be available so thin gloves with access to a warm spot(pouch, inside overalls, etc..) will work.  IMO - Camo is overrated but hunting on the ground takes it to another level so I recomend dull colors(Tan is my favorite).  Deer hide well in plain site by just standing still and that is the key, Be Still!

Look at places like Sportmans Guide and Cheaper than Dirt, etc... to find great deals on quality wool and fleece and other great layering items.  Vests are always a great piece because you need your arms to be flexible but your core warm.  Personally in cold weather I have 2 or three vests on over a couple long sleave shirts with a tan woolrich jacket over it all that I paid .50 cents for at a yard sale.  My legs almost never get cold so I have a pair of LJ's under BDU pants mostly because I like the design with the big side pockets.  

Good luck and have fun - Bob Urban

Offline nel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 07:52:00 AM »
Do your research!

The first time I went Moose hunting (Northern Ontario) it was late September, and the whole time it was freezing rain and just plain wet, intersparsed with wet snow.

I had your typical Wal-mart style hunting clothes the beefiest being cotton insulated coveralls. What a miserable ten days! (If it wasn't for the moose...)

Anyhow, I learned the hard way why people spent big money on hunting clothes.

Now I hunt with wool over fleece, No cotton unless it's really early in the season. You can sweat, and then 10 minutes later you're dry. You can handle quite a diversity of temperature and conditions with this. In northern Ontario in September it can be 20 Celsius and fifteen minutes later be 10 Celsius with some rain.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 07:55:00 AM »
Start visiting your local Good Will store.....

You can pick up "earth-toned" 100% wool sweaters for $3-$4 apiece. Use these for "layering" as it gets colder. You can wear 2,3,even 4 under something as "cheap" as an over-sized camo T-shirt.

Also,check out the pants,you can find med.weight wool pants (in browns and grays) that will keep you warmer than a pair of jeans.

Check out my "Gettin' Ready!!!!!" thread.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
I'm with Woodchucker. Hap

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 01:27:00 PM »
Me too.. I'm with Woodchucker on this one. And wool retains 80% of it's heat retaining ability, even when soaking wet!
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline jonesy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »
King of the mountain if you can afford it if not look into arctic sheild.jonesy

Offline waknstak IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
Lots of good suggestions.  I'll add one to the list. Heavy Merino wool socks, very comfortable and warm. About 10 bucks a pair but worth every penny.
"You can't have NO in your heart"- Joe Dirt

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »
Follow the backpacking rule.... the worst case is you have everything on - this means layers, layers and layers.  Wicking materials (wool or synthetics - NO COTTON!).  Cheap fleece layers are a dime a dozen in seconds or style closeouts and they work.  If you are sold on camo, buy a camo union 1 piec to go over it all.

As others have said, you need warm feet.  That is always my trouble point as it is a circulation issue for me.

As you hunt, you will see what works and doesn't.  It is all personal preference.  Just don't get hooked into the advertising.

Lots of great suggestions in this thread.

HAVE FUN!

BobW
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Juniper Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 05:49:00 PM »
Just to echo what others have said I will make a few suggestions.

1) Socks should be thick and warm, silk liners are good but don't try putting on several layers of cotton socks. I always carry an extra pair of socks in my day pack when out, really a life saver if your feet get wet.
2)Try shooting your bow in all of your cold weather clothes, I found out this last winter that clothes should fit pretty close to the body when shooting.
3)This may be obvious but hats, long underwear, vests and fingerless wool gloves really help and are not too expencive.
4) I have been able to find some good deals on military surplus wool clothing, quiet, dark green and cheap!

I am not a experienced hunter by any means, but I do live in the mountains, Juniper Bow

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
Cabela's often has fleece clothing w/ windstopper lining on sale; I bought several tops and bottoms from there.  I highly recommend something with windstopper in it, at least as a layering garment.  It makes it seem twice as warm!  I have a Columbia wool shirt-jac that I really like, but it's not windproof, and it gets very heavy when it gets wet.  That's the main advantage of synthetics over wool: they don't retain as much moisture and they dry several times faster.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 06:04:00 PM »
Lots of good advice here, especially about wool. Focus on head, feet and hands; and stay away from Gore-Tex if you intend to hunt on the ground.

Offline Michael Peschek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 06:47:00 PM »
Thanks for all of the good suggestions!

Offline LUCKY MAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
L.L.Bean Wool

Microtex Pants from Cabela's

Both have served me well in lots of different climates.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way
you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
I would look at Rivers West. Waterproof and warm. If it gets real cold you can layer underneath it. I dont know what side of the state you are on but if you are on the west side I would like something 100% waterproof.

Jesse

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 01:13:00 AM »
Wool is great...and then there's wool...and don't forget wool....Used wool from Military surplus or goodwill is awesome and very affordable...Daryl
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline Michael Peschek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 04:32:00 AM »
I think I will be hitting up the goodwill stores in my area. But, I like the idea of the ASAT Pro Vanish 3d leafy suit because I have all the polartec I need to keep warm, I just don't know if I would like hunting in the suit.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 10:06:00 PM »
Tar and Turkey feathers.....LOL! sorry ...i couldn't help myself  :p

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©