3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alarming trend.....  (Read 730 times)

Alarming trend.....
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
Has anyone else tuned in to this? I know it doesn't pertain to us trad types but I have been noticing lately that on the TV hunting shows (OK I'm not proud of it, I watch them once in a while) they are HEAVILY advertising, using and outright touting X-bows. I know this is how these folks make a living, but how about some spine? I listened to Roger Raglin ("America's Deer Hunter") give a speech the other day about 'let's not argue about this, let's just grow the sport!' Which sport was he talking about....anyone.....?? Here in NY x-bows will be allowed for the first time this year during gun season, which is where they belong IMHO.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alarming trend.....
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:48:00 PM »
I don't believe x-bows is archery but, if that's what people like and how they want to hunt more power to them. Brave men and women gave their lives defending our freedom to choose in this country and I have no problem with people hunting with x-bows just not my style. Technically it is not archery so legally speeaking it shouldn't be in an archery season but a gun season.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
I don't understand what the problem is with Xbows. I am still going to hunt with what I want to hunt with and really could care less what someone else hunts with. I also watch hunting shows, but don't put much stock in what they are paid to endorse. Chris

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
I saw Roger today. I enjoy his show actually ...Jimminy Christmas. He loves to hunt and does not have the same drive to stay Traditional as all of us.We are different you know.I was impressed even more with his ability to play the piano. Who`da thunk it.
 I stand a bit different that most on weapons to hunt with. Although I hunt only with a stickbow and nothing else for a long time except for doves and such.I must say that If I could get my Son to hunt with me even with a crossbow I would buy him two . He just ain`t interested at this time.So I don`t know about growing the sport but we gotta get young folks in the woods with whatever weapon we can. Then as the grow maybe they will swing to a stickbow who knows but at least when its voting time they will be on the right side.RC

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
Crossbows are the compounds of 40 years ago.. get over them.. they're here to stay and fighting them only makes it worse..

I learned that the hard way when compounds first appeared and I stood solidly against them..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 12:58:00 PM »
I don't feel as generous about this as you guys seem to be. I also think an AR is not a hunting weapon, but there are those who feel anything goes.

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
If someone wants to use a X-bow, that is fine by me.  We are loosing hunters in this country like never before, and if a cross-bow will get someone out in the woods, let them use one!!! no one can make one of us shoot one, but some people need them to be able to hunt.

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 01:02:00 PM »
Yeah, me and you are different, a well built AR is one of the finest predator rifles I've ever used. Chris

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 01:06:00 PM »
/\\ A firearm has regulations regarding the casing not the platform on which it is fired. AR's are great however that is a different topic different forum.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 01:10:00 PM »
Especially blessed to be physically capable to hunt my heavier lb's. If you get as much satisfaction hunting w/whatever, then you're having big fun...as it should be.

Personally, I have no interest to ever shoot an x-bow. IMHO, they're fast, easy to shoot, accurate, & especially suspect animal killers. Light & fast concerns me in every facet. But, I have no personal experience w/x-bow flight, distance, +/or penetration results..
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
Nope!  Crossbow is not archery hunting.  

The act of getting drawn on an animal is what makes for archery hunting, period.

Hunt with them in rifle season, but they need to be out of bow seasons.

This is an issue that has been fought for years by multiple bowhunting organizations, they are loosing the fight.  The maufactures push it, more sales, more hunters, whatever.  

I have always bowhunted, because well it is harder.  The spirit of our sport is to get close, draw on an animal at that precise moment.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Cross bow topics aren't allowed here and haven't been since day one.  This is the 3rd thread this week on them...so instead of just pulling this one....I'm posting here and leaving it hoping to stave off any more cross bow topics.

I hope you understand, and continue to enjoy the site.

Thanks.      :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©