3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Climbing Tree Stand Decision  (Read 338 times)

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
Climbing Tree Stand Decision
« on: August 18, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
OK, I'm heading to Lancaster Archery tomorrow for the big sale. I want to buy a climbing tree stand. I have narrowed it to two models but need to make a decision. Lone Wolf hand climber or the Summit Open shot? There is about $100+ difference in cost. Lone Wolf being more expensive. I weigh 250# so I am at the limit usually for these things.

Opinions needed. (:

Martin

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Climbing Tree Stand Decision
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 01:01:00 PM »
Lone Wolf without a doubt, try standing on the very edge(attched a foot off the ground for safty reasons) of the Summit towards one side with both feet. It will scare you, not the LW, very stable even when you have to move into an awkward position to shoot. Also much quieter climbing and sitting in as well! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
I agree with Shawn. I own both stands (older summit).

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Lone Wolf. It is better in every single area except for one which would be seat comfort. The difference in that though is so small as to not even matter. Try to use or at least see them setup.

The only negative to the Lone Wolf hand climber is comfort otherwise it is close to perfect. For me the sit and climb was not any more comfortable (like the middle seat of an airplane) and was not nearly as versatile as the hand climber.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
I have never tried the LW.  I have no major complaint about my Open Shot.  I like it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Yup, handclimber is the way to go! If you are gonnasit all day get a hang on, but for sits of 4 hours or so, the LW will get ya thru and you can bring a small cushion to help. The summit(I owned a few) is not a bad stand and I did not mean to imply that, but the LW is far superior! Shawn
Shawn

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 02:50:00 PM »
I prefer the open shot.. Im 6'1" 250# and have had both.. I trust the cable a little more than a belt..
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 03:18:00 PM »
I was leaning toward the LW becuase it is so compact. Weight wise they are close to the same. I have owned a Summit in the past. I was 29 lbs and I should have never sold it. It did have a bar around the front of it which made it difficult to shoot from. However, I could sit and climb.

Cable or belt? I think that the belt would be a bit more quite. I have used the cable and that did make some noise going into the metal holder. Not bad but I always had to be careful. I ride a motorcycle and know that some bikes come with a belt drive. I know that they can be built very sturdy. But you do bring up a good point.

Well, I only have a few more hours to make a decision. Tomorrow is coming fast...

Thanks for all the input.

Martin

Offline Dave Thaxton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »
Never been on a LW...once I used my Summitt I saw no need to look further for THE climber
64"55@28 Kohannah Flatbow
60"53@28 Robertson Peregrine
68"45@28 Howard Hill Redman

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
used both and my go to stand is Treewalker. It is set up like an ol man but you can climb a metal telephone pole and it wont slip. You just got to shoot over the front rail(i shoot a 60 in shawnee)They also make one with out the front rail.
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 03:32:00 PM »
I've only used the Lone Wolf hand climber, mainly because it does everything I want a climber to do.  Packs flat, super quiet, versatile.  The seat alone makes a nice little place for your butt when hunting from makeshift ground blinds.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by mmisciag:
I was leaning toward the LW becuase it is so compact. Weight wise they are close to the same. I have owned a Summit in the past. I was 29 lbs and I should have never sold it. It did have a bar around the front of it which made it difficult to shoot from. However, I could sit and climb.

Cable or belt? I think that the belt would be a bit more quite. I have used the cable and that did make some noise going into the metal holder. Not bad but I always had to be careful. I ride a motorcycle and know that some bikes come with a belt drive. I know that they can be built very sturdy. But you do bring up a good point.

Well, I only have a few more hours to make a decision. Tomorrow is coming fast...

Thanks for all the input.

Martin
You can sit and climb with the hand climber. They include a strap that connects to the hand climber for this purpose. It works reasonably well but I never use it since climbing is relatively easy.

The Summit Open Shot is a good stand but when you do a point by point comparison you will see what I mean. I did the same and looked very carefully at the Open Shot and that was the second time I bought a Lone Wolf hand climber.

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
I have to go against the crowd a bit here...I'm a summit fan, and have owned a few of their models.  Not the open shot -- but the Cobra (from 2000 or so) and it's the same, open front.  I did not like climbing with the LW hand climber at all!  Just didn't like the feel of it.  Both are good stands, but you can buy a dozen arrows, superior fletching, and some nice trimmings for the difference in costs.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
I have the Lone Wolf hand climber top and a Loggy bottom,great combo.

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »
I like the Lone Wolf Sit & Climb (the one for a WIDE load!)   ;)
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
LW
BD

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
I really like my LW hand climber.

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Jon,

That is the problem! Cost.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Martin

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 01:11:00 AM »
summit is all I use, I use the goliath platform and use a open top section works great the summit is a solid stand been using them for years
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 05:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by babs:
summit is all I use, I use the goliath platform and use a open top section works great the summit is a solid stand been using them for years
I do the same.  The only fault with the open shot is the small platform.  I use my Razor platform with the open shot climbing section.  Perfect stand!
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©