3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ghillie users .....help  (Read 881 times)

Offline redeemed

• Trad Bowhunter
Ghillie users .....help
« on: August 18, 2011, 03:45:00 PM »
how difficult is it gettiing use to hunting in a ghillie?? are they overly hot??? what about string catching the ghillie???

if ya have pics please post 'em

thanks
JESUS LOVES ME THIS I KNOW!!!!

To God be the glory, great things He has done!!!!!

Offline tradhunter1995

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ghillie users .....help
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 03:48:00 PM »
i have made 3 ghillie suits in my life,and i would never recomend them for archery,there pretty much only good for guns

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
I hunt in a Ghillie all the time. Usually by the time season opens it's bearable to wear in the mornings and evenings.
Of course in the cooler part of the season it provides extra warmth.

A little trimming of the bow arm sleeve and left chest and you are good to go. No problems at all.

I use a Rancho Safari.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
I've taken a bunch of critters while hunting in a Rancho Safari 3/4 length "Shaggie Suit", including several spot-you-in-a-heartbeat Eastern longbeards.  They ARE effective IF you take the time to get use to shooting with them on. You will discover that some trimming will be necessary, plus there is a trick to slipping through the woods with one on, especially in the thorn infested places where I hunt.
Gary Logsdon

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
Here's two photos of my Shaggie setup.  The B&W image was taken while hunting a natural salt lick in the KY portion of Land Between the Lakes.  I had a mature doe walk within 5 feet of me as I sat on a stool next to that blown down.  The color photo shows how I've trimmed the areas around the armpit for string clearance.

(Note: Hit the F5 key to refresh the page if the photos fail to download.)

Gary Logsdon

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
I cut the sleeves off at the elbows on the one i built because I got tired of it catching on my bow string.

After that I had no problems at all, and the critters don't seem to mind!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Online dixiearcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
I am also looking into getting a ghillie...will keep an eye on this one
Preach the gospel, die, and be forgotten
-Count von Zinzendorf

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
Gary Logsdon

Offline Aunty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
i got a question for you guys are they noisy when your are stalking in on a big stag eg. you are stalking on your hands and knees?

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
I purchased one of Big Jim's "Bush in a Bag."  It is great for warm weather.  It is based on some mesh material.  Last fall when it was hot I hunted in shorts and a green tee shirt covered by the bush in a bag and stayed nice and cool.  I had several does near me and they never knew I was there.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 05:23:00 PM »
I have a bush in a bag also and love it.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
The bush in the bag also rolls up nice and compact.  Easy to carry to your stand.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
I've got a bush in the bag on the way.....any advice for best using/modifying it other than trim bow arm/chest area if needed?
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Friends call me Pac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
I made this with a Dickey's shirt, volleyball netting, jute and camo cloth.  Haven't killed a deer yet while wearing it but have had a squierrel jump on me.

USAF Retired '85-'05

An old hand me down recurve sparked the fire, Trad Gang fanned the flames.  There is no stopping now.  Burn baby burn!

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
I made one last year and used it, but here in NC early season was pretty hot with it on. Like stated above you better trim the hound out of it and practice, practice, practice so you are used to it. They can be fun to use but i never got comfortable hunting on the ground and had to resort to treestands some. I will give it a shot again this year and try to learn from last year and go from there. Good luck   Chris

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 07:36:00 PM »
I have one. It is a Bush Rag model.

Already has the sleeves pre cut,is washable, and is made of a polyester mesh so it is very cool and lightweight.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 08:44:00 PM »
I stalked almost 40 yards in broad daylight in an open field standing upright to within 25 yards of 5 feeding does in a TCS outfit from Cabelas. took 2 hours to move that distance. I was so excited about my stalk I shot under the deer.

Bottom line: stay down wind, break up your silouette and don't get caught moving.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
Rancho safari here as well.  Love it, hot, but love it. Wouldnt still-hunt without it. Turkeys seem to be especialy oblivious to it. Stalked to 8 yds on a flock last year and got my first bird with a bow(granted it was the perfect storm of events in some thick stuff). When I started thinking back, I've a had all sorts of close stalks on turkeys with it on. They dont seem to spook out of the county either. Just kinda feed away if they dont like you. Trim the arm, use an arm guard, and wrap a cord over the back of my neck and then under my armpits, around my back and tie on my chest.  I think the samurai used to do something similar to free up some range of motion and keep the sleeves up on the arms.

As a bonus, I tie it around my rail(and let it hang down in front of my legs) on my treestand. If a deer picks you up, it is way less likely to spook if you dont move (in my experience).Great for those trees that you know are too visible but are too good to pass up.  Guess they think its just a big ugly squirrel in his big ugly nest.

Good Luck
Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
I have one of the rancho safari's. I really like it but can't use it till it gets cold. With a little practice and trimming it is fine to shoot out of.

Funny how you really feel invisible when you're wearing it

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 09:47:00 PM »
I have one of the rancho safari's. I really like it but can't use it till it gets cold. With a little practice and trimming it is fine to shoot out of.

Funny how you really feel invisible when you're wearing it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©