3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ghillie users .....help  (Read 884 times)

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ghillie users .....help
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Try the single wrap of cord that I talked about in my  post Kuch, I think it'll be just the ticket for you.

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline redeemed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2011, 09:14:00 AM »
I love the comradaree on here, you guys are great!!!!!
JESUS LOVES ME THIS I KNOW!!!!

To God be the glory, great things He has done!!!!!

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2011, 10:42:00 AM »
Toecutter,

I wonder if one of those bino harnesses would do the same thing?

I've been wanting to get one of those harnesses for oh...20 yrs but never spring for it and they just keep getting more pricey...Imagine that!  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
Nathan, I'll try that, especially if it will make me feel like a Samurai

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Magnus told me the other day that the bino straps are perfect.....I'm like you Doc....been meaning to get one of them for a long while.  Gonna have to do that to go with the Bush headed my way.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Huntinfool7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
I bought one earlier this year. Haven't used it yet plan to this fall.

I need to get it out and trim it up and shoot some with it on. It's just been too hot to practice with it. I bought some extra bundles of material to ad here and there where needed.

Also picked up a bunch of fall colored synthetic leaves in a yard sale which I plan to incorporate into it!

I got the full length poncho it's about a foot too long! Or maybe I'm a foot too short! Oh Well!!LOL!

~HF~
Yesterday is Wood
Tomorrow is Ashes
Only Today Does The
Fire Burn Brightly
I Love the Magical Flight of the Feathered Shaft!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Romans 8:28

Offline Arkansaslongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »
I have used nothing but a ghillie now for 5 years; mine is an army issued one bought at a army surplus store; one just "disappears" when wearing it out in the woods; just wear less clothing underneath when temps are warm;

As far as the string issue, I just cut a sleeve off of a long sleeve camo sweat shirt and slide it over my bow arm; works perfect; the ghille will make a world of difference in your success; good luck this season..............  :campfire:
May the sun always shine bright on your path and the wind be in your face

Offline swamprat26

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
After reading this I trimmed mine up. I also took the advice here and tried my extra binoc shoulder harness  worked like a champ. Even went shoot. One other thing I did was used tie wraps to hold back the strings in front my face. Now I can't wait to try it in the woods on a deer.

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2011, 03:52:00 PM »
Yeah Doc, I think the binoc harness would work great(as a few folks already stated), I just don't have one (read as "too Cheap"). The length of 500 cord was perfect since I have a bunch and like Kuch said, It makes me feel like a samurai!!

One more thing I thought of is to tie the knot over your right chest to avoid the string catching it.

Good Luck all,
Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline huntingwolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
I sure would love to see a video on hunting  with ghillies, how about you guys?

Offline Thirdypointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2011, 04:42:00 PM »
This thread talked me into getting a bunch of Jerry's (Rancho Safari) suits lol (super nice guy that makes these in the USA). I hope they are as good as you all say as i'm keeping one for myself, now i can't wait for Sept 16th!

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Really good thread.....hopefully many of us will have ghillie success stories to post up here this season.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2011, 08:01:00 PM »
Check out Marc Anthony from Illinois.

He is an excellent guy, exceptional mentor to children, and he has completely embraced and excelled immensely at the game of hunting big bucks on the ground with a ghillie suit and a bow.

In fact, he has taken more B&C Whitetail Bucks with a bow than ANY other person in the world.

Yet, he is extremely humble and will have a conversation with anyone.  

He is the reason that I started using a ghillie 4 years ago.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
I too will be spending time in a Rancho Safari longcoat this year.

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Just washed mine in the tub and hanging outside to get the stink off. when it dries,will try the "Samurai sling"

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
Tried the Samurai sling and the wal-mart stool.Works perfect. I'm ready but still smells. I'm keeping it in a tote with earth wafers 'til it's time to act like a bush.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
Heres a black and white one and a color one. I was just sitting in my Double Bull Magnum chair. Its the Rancho Safari Longcoat with Boonie hood and face mask.... A really nice system.

"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
I scraped up some leaves and dirt with my boots and laid the suit in the depression, then covered it up for a few days. Was pretty grungy, but gave it a good shake and let dry on the line for a few  more days (somebody on here gave me the technigue if i remember correctly). Still smelled like burlap to me, but the deer didnt seem to mind.

Had an 8 pointer circle down wind of me and sniff my butt when I was on all fours waiting for him and his ten point buddy to walk by me. I had zero ground cover and no trees larger than 3" around me.  They were walking right at me and got to about 25yds before they noticed the odd looking lump that was WAY out of place. So the 8 circled around while the 10 stood in place and he came right up wind and sniffed me. I was pretty damn scared he was gonna stick me on principle for wasting his time. WHen he got a good nose full he took three or four bounds and stopped, then slowly walked away.  The 10 followed and never got within 20yds.  The funniest part was seeing my green zwickey no mercy, bouncing on the shelf of the bow from being down on my knees and elbows for so long and not being able to move. Pretty damn sure he had to see that as he was looking over my back and shoulders.  

I will carry that memory until the very end!

Good luck Kuch, thanks for making me think of this again   :)  

BTW, I was also using Deer Dander a LOT those days and would have to say that stuff was like magic.  Have still bought it the past two years and I notice the aroma is different. Deer dont seem to like it anymore either.

Nathan

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
I was out practicing in my Rancho Safari today, good tip on the bungee cord Toecutter! It really helped with string clearance. Shot from all kind of positions with a 66" longbow and no snags.

Offline redeemed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
does anyone know where ya can buy burlap by the roll??
JESUS LOVES ME THIS I KNOW!!!!

To God be the glory, great things He has done!!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©