3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: target v hunting bows??  (Read 637 times)

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
target v hunting bows??
« on: July 03, 2007, 08:09:00 AM »
that is the most interesting aspect of archery equipment and the dichotomy. There is a great deal of cross over toward the middle of things but that leaves a lot of room on each end of things to feed the different camps.

3D shoots have really made the distinction of target vs hunting equipment even more blurred in the states. It is pretty easy identinify a target bow on the FITA field.

Well this kinda interests me. What I'd like to know is do you have a bow that you designate as a target bow (3d, field)? Do you have a bow you call a hunting bow (3d, hunting)? if ya do have different bows would ya tell me about them? draw wieght? lenght? style?  

thanks
rusty

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: target v hunting bows??
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 08:21:00 AM »
Rusty,
I use the same bow for shooting 3d and for hunting. 50# @ 28" 58" long. I just like the way it shoots and I don't have to try to adjust my shooting style from bow to bow.
Dave
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
I nearly shoot my Bear T.D. for all target type shooting.  It's a 70# bow that I can shoot all day very comfortably. When the braodhead tournaments begin in this area, usually near hunting season, I will then do all of my shooting with my 80# longbow or 76# recurve and heavy birch shafts.  I usually shoot about the same scores with all of the bows but the Bear with cedars is so much flatter shooting at the 30-40 yd. targets.

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 10:23:00 AM »
Hmmmmm. Interesting question.

I have many bows, but only one that I ever use for 3D/field shoots. I've gone the other way from all you guys in that my 3D bow is far heavier than my hunting bows. My hunters are all either 57 or 58#, whereas my 3D bow is 72#

In the UK our field & 3D shoots are at much greater ranges than I'm led to believe they are in the US. I'd say that an average range shot for us is probably 35yds, with targets from 5yds all the way out to 80+ Several ofthe shoots I regularly attend will have at least 20 out of 40 targets at 50yds+ so for me greater cast is pretty important. The faster & therefore flatter my arrow flies, the better chance I have of hitting the looooong targets (furthest I've encountered so far was a 122yd, standing buffalo!)
It takes me a wile to mentally adjust to shooting the lighter hunting bows, but I feel that in a hunting situation, when the adrenaline's pumping & everything's jumpy, a lighter bow makes life easier by far! (plus, they're all take-downs. My 3D bow is a one-piece which makes travelling a real bugger!)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 10:34:00 AM »
I've been shooting 3-D tournaments since they started  Before that we had broadhead shoots, which involved shooting broadheads through cardboard silhouette animal targets.  the arrows passed through and were stopped in a bunker behind the target.  Though I've always enjoyed these shoots, I've always considered them practice for hunting and use my hunting gear exclusively.  In fact, I don't think I have anything that could be classified as target equipment.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
Same bows with differant arrows.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline xia_emperor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »
same bow, and arrows
“instinctive archery” is more like playing the violin. Without practice you may remember the mechanics, but you will not be a virtuoso.

62" titan riser and samick master limbs 50@28

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
Same Bow and Same Arrows....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 11:22:00 AM »
Right now I shoot a 55 lb Dalaa for everything.I have a DAS Elite 21 inch riser with ILF attachment on order that will be for 3D-target archery only.The Elite will be set up with 40 lb limbs and arrows around 300 grns.

Offline rbbhunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
I shoot the same bow and arrows.
RBBHUNT
"Those who will trade liberty for
security, deserve niether" B. Franklin (a long time ago and still valid)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
Robtatto,  I want to come and shoot where you shoot!  I can't stand going to tournaments that make you shoot from what we used to call the kiddy stakes.  Normally I shoot from the compound hunter stakes just to keep it interesting.  Like I said earlier.  I shoot 70# and cedars for most of my 3d shoots but have shot a bunch with my heavier bows.

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »
Target Bows:
Hoyt PM takedown 25" riser 68" 42@28
Bob Lee long riser 68" 35@28
Wing P1 66" 35@28
Wing P2 68" 33@28

Hunting Bows:
Bob Lee T/D Lb 53# and 57# limbs both 64"
Bob Lee T/d RC 46#, 55# and 60# limbs 60"-64"
Rasmussen Flatbow 64" 55@28
Mild d/r longbow 68" 60@28
Hoyt PM takedown 20" riser 64" 52@28
Sky Hunter supreme 64" 47# and 55# limbs

"Crossover" Bows:
Bob Lee long riser with 46@28 limbs..makes a 64" 42@28 bow. I shoot this combo best and it is what I use if I want a high score.
Hoyt PM 20" riser with 45# limbs. Makes a 64" bow..setup with a plunger and flipper rest.  I'm either very good or very bad with this bow.

My arrows for both hunting and 3d are in the 8-9 grains per pound range or slightly heavier.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 07:45:00 PM »
I have been tring to learn to shoot lighter draw bows.  I got some 63 yr old orthopedic processes that don't think they are a young as my attitude is.  :)   I thought I might save what was left of them for hunting and use them a little less with lighter 3D/target/small game bows.  

after 40 yr or so of releasing 60# bow strings ya find out your release is stinko big time.  Ya get to learn to shoot all over again or really maybe for the first time  :)

rusty

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
Forgot about my favorite target bow...Wing Competition 2 - 68" 35@28

I too have a hard time getting off the string with anything below the low 40#s.  When my form is good and I'm focused I shoot light bows very well.  When I'm having a bad day though I have arrows all over the place.

I shot an indoor 300 league last year and would alternate between my 57# Lee and one of my target bows.  My scores with my hunting bow were all between 223 and the low 230's with a a 227 average.  With my target bows I shot a low of a 208 and a high of 250 and averaged close to 230.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
No comment  ;)   Sure glad to see ya posting though, Rusty.  I might stop in more often if this keeps up  :biglaugh:  ...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 12:21:00 AM »
My primary interest in archery is bowhunting, so I do all my target shooting with the same bow and arrows I hunt with (minus broadheads). If my goal was to shoot the highest target scores I could, I'd trade my 60" 57# hunting bow for a 68" low-40's FITA recurve shooting 300-grain arrows.

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 12:57:00 AM »
UI have always shot targets with the same bow i hunt with. I do plan on having a dedicated target bow soon though. I try to keep all my bows right at 50#@29".
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline gordie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 07:03:00 AM »
i'm with van

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
Hi Rusty,

As you probably know I own quite a few bows and love all of them.  As the owner of one of David's first master hunter bows and with an elite on order and owning 4-5 sets of FITA limbs I obviously appreciate his ideas for blending the two genres of shooting bows.  

However, I have gravitated toward one bow for both activities that allows me to do both quite well.  I normally shoot my camo ACS Apogee with a variety of limb weights in lengths of either 66" or 68" (31" draw length).  I find that by blending my shooting style for both indoor winter targets and September moose hunting I do both better in my estimation. Stable metal risers, elevated rests, and practicing out to 80 yards are all good things for both target shooting as well as for improving hunting accuracy.

I'd be shooting my 57# limbs on my Apogee this weekend in a Wisconsin field archery meet were it not for minor arthroscopic knee surgery on Friday morning.

While I'm no accomplished target archer like you and several of your acquaintances (congratulations on your recent successes!), I do okay in the competitive arena (I compete in a fairly small pond).  I like blending the two capabilities into one bow personally.  And you're dead right about how a lighter bow will force you to work on cleaning up your release!
John

Offline John D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2007, 11:30:00 AM »
My bow I use for field archery is a 1966 Kodiak Special 40# with my draw lenght I'm pulling 38#. I shoot barebow off the shelf with Easton 1913s with 9% nib points. with this bow I dont wear out shooting a 112 arrows on a 28 target, field and hunter round.

My hunting bows are A BlackWidow 55#-60" T-D and a Bear T-D 50#-60" 2117s with 145gr points or broadheads.I have no problem when I switch to the heavier bows. I also think the lighter bow will force you to work on better form and a cleaner release! jmo
Good Luck & Good Hunting!
John
COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS
PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©