3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: favorite broadhead for the money??  (Read 1763 times)

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: favorite broadhead for the money??
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Only you can decide how ethical or unethical a shot is. Nobody else will be able to convince you otherwise. Broadheads are made to kill by terminally disrupting the circulatory or respiratory systems. Head shots and spine shots don't fit what  b'hs are designed to do. SOMETIMES the results are the same, but in many cases they are not.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2011, 11:37:00 PM »
Add another for Zwickey 2 blade.
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2011, 02:13:00 AM »
1 more vote for VPA's.  

My favorite is a 1 1/4" dia. 250gn. screw-in  :thumbsup:  

Gene  :coffee:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline northern lights

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2011, 06:28:00 AM »
Magnus stingers and are they still keeping the stinger line , love those heads.
Now we're digging where the taters are.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
Magnus (Mike Sohm) will continue to produce the Stinger, Buzzcut and Bullhead.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
Before we left Africa our PH had us all shoot into an elephants shoulder blade, the only head that could be used after shooting was a Zwicky Delta 4 blade.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by mnbwhtr:
Before we left Africa our PH had us all shoot into an elephants shoulder blade, the only head that could be used after shooting was a Zwicky Delta 4 blade.
:clapper:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by mnbwhtr:
Do you recall what other blades were shot?
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »

I would like to know as well what other bh's were used in this testing.
James Kerr

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
I'll bet the new Tuffhead would pass!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
I was shooting ribtek 145's, folded over about in half, the others were shooting Bear razorhead, also folded up and rocky mountain titanium 4 blade, the nosesmashed up on that one.
 The 4th person was shooting the zwicky's.

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: August 25, 2011, 12:37:00 AM »
Ready7 to shoot screw in I would opt for BuzzCuts. Screw in resharpenable would be Zwickie Eskimos or Deltas . Take pick.
Biting my tongue on the head shot thing. I saw a deer shot in the jaw by a guy trying that once. It was not a pretty scene. I'll leave it at that. God bless you all, Steve

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: August 25, 2011, 09:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Huntschool:
OK...  I'll add the Zypher heads... Sasquatch and Scirocco.  I love em and have kill a good bunch of stuff with em.  I like hollow ground edges.

If ya get in a pinch you can stone em into flat ground edges and they have been a tough head for me.
Just received 9 sasquatch from Horne's yesterday. I think I paid $90 including shipping which is about all I would spend on broadheads. They look great for deer. They were hair popping right out of the package, but I plan on polishing them further with a paper wheel. This will be the first year that I will use them. First impression is very good.

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by BobCo 1965:

OK...  I'll add the Zypher heads... Sasquatch and Scirocco.  I love em and have kill a good bunch of stuff with em.  I like hollow ground edges.

If ya get in a pinch you can stone em into flat ground edges and they have been a tough head for me.
Just received 9 sasquatch from Horne's yesterday. I think I paid $90 including shipping which is about all I would spend on broadheads. They look great for deer. They were hair popping right out of the package, but I plan on polishing them
further with a paper wheel. This will be the first year that I will

use them. First impression is very good. [/b]
I have tried the sasquatches , and was disappointed that the welds broke! I looked it up, and it seems there has been issues with the welds on them. I was disappointed, and could not risk it anymore! I do have several new ones, if you are interested on them .

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: August 25, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »

Just received 9 sasquatch from Horne's yesterday. I think I paid $90 including shipping which is about all I would spend on broadheads. They look great for deer. They were hair popping right out of the package, but I plan on polishing them

I have tried the sasquatches , and was disappointed that the welds broke! I looked it up, and it seems there has been issues with the welds on them. I was disappointed, and could not risk it anymore! I do have several new ones, if you are interested in them .

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: August 29, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by frassettor:

I have tried the sasquatches , and was disappointed that the welds broke! I looked it up, and it seems there has been issues with the welds on them. I was disappointed, and could not risk it anymore! I do have several new ones, if you are interested in them . [/b]
Yikes! Did they fail in the field, or on targets? I am not sure that I woudl use them on anything other then deer ot turkey. I thought the weld looked pretty good. Hope I don't have the same experience though.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
I have had the same thing happen with sasquatch's . the blade broke loose from the furrel (sp) on several heads, i have lost the main blade in a bear and a deer, Talked to hornes and they felt i may have been getting them to hot while mounting them, so I epoxied the next few  but had the same results, one in a foam target.  Its a shame, they are a killing head with precision mounting and fly great.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline stevewills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
head and spine shots...sounds like someone should be cutting shooting lanes,and prepping his hunting area before season
i like biscuits

Offline Thebear_78

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
A head shot on a deer isn't even a good idea with a rifle.   There is just too much margin for error.     I have found several deer over the years that had faulty shots into their head.  Usually the shot just damages the face or jaw leaving the animal to suffer for days before eventually dying.    

I think its an ego thing,  too many people watching sniper movies and wanting to be "as cool".   Seriously get over yourself and take the vital shot.

Offline MikeW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
 I have tried the sasquatches , and was disappointed that the welds broke! I looked it up, and it seems there has been issues with the welds on them. I was disappointed, and could not risk it anymore! I do have several new ones, if you are interested on them .
That's what stops me from buying Abowers, it looks like a weak point to me and I've seen a couple posts where folks have complained about it. Tuffheads look like tanks but I wish they made them 1 1/4" wide...can't please everyone. So I shoot STOS or cough up the cash for Asbey's
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©