3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: favorite broadhead for the money??  (Read 1768 times)

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: favorite broadhead for the money??
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2011, 07:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by bucksbuouy:
I need a "head and spine shot" worthy broadhead. Think Im gonna go with either slick tricks or VPA.
:eek:    :nono:  Your kidding right?
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by owlbait:

I need a "head and spine shot" worthy broadhead. Think Im gonna go with either slick tricks or VPA.
:eek:      :nono:   Your kidding right? [/b]
If this is the case, may I sugges a 230 grain partitioned boattail in caliber .308?
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2011, 05:31:00 AM »
I've shot many  brands over the years. I have no complaints with most of them. I shoot 2-blade, single bevel 100-125 grain Helix broadheads (depends upon the arrow) these days now that my KE is cut nearly in half.

Offline longarrow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2011, 12:02:00 PM »
"Z"
TGMM Family of the Bow

Live a Good Life! And in the end, it's not the number of years in your life...it's the LIFE in your years!!!

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »
SNUFFER

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
As of now,  its the STOS for me.  I epoxy the 130's to a 75grn steel adapter.  I swear they fly more true than my field points....hmmm!

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »
If i was shooting 110# @ 30" i would try the Ashby 315gr.It be about 1/3 your arrow weight.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline flippnsticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2011, 01:26:00 PM »

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLY!?
  :nono:    :nono:    :nono:

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2011, 10:15:00 PM »
3 arrows-
I would love to go with a heavy head but I dont think I could find a shaft thats stiff enough. I would think even a 125# spine couldnt support a head like that out of my bow.

Like I said I hunt in very thick stuff with really an overwhelmingly high deer population. They dont call it Bucks county for nothing I guess. I am getting very close and spine and head shots are often available where as heart shot are not. Many contemporary, more accurate archers utilize spine shots because they kill very quickly and humanely. I took my first deer with a shot to the jugular. Dropped like a stone.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »
havnt killed anything with them but the tusker concoreds fly awsome. if i can ever get them sharp enough they would be great. slowly getting there
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline stick hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
HEAD AND SPINE SHOTS????????? UNREAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOOD LUCK WITH THAT EVERY DEER I HAD SEEN WITH A SPINE SHOT DIDN'T EXPIRE QUICKLY AND NEEDED A FOLLOW UP SHOT. IF I WERE YOU I WOULD FIND A NEW SPOT!!!! WHERE YOU COULD TAKE AN ETHICAL SHOT. (HEART/LUNGS)

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: August 22, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a "no no" shot for any archer. Our only consistant way to kill an animal is to hit in the vitals with a razor sharp broadhead. Shooting at the spine will lead to lots of lost and wounded deer which gives our sport a very bad name. As for head shots I do not believe there is any broadhead on the planet that will consistantly penetrate the skull of an animal. My grandfather shoots a 338-378 Weatherby magnum rifle and he shot a hog in the head last year and the bullet only made it half way through the skull. There was at one time a picture on the internet of a goose that was in a town park that had an arrow stuck through it's head. This gives bowhunting in general a bad name. It is basically giving the anti-hunters the weapons they need. If you or anyone else was to go around shooting animals in the head with arrows and they run-off and get put on the news (or any type of media for that instance). It could mean the end of bowhunting for everyone. Please be more considerate of the animals you hunt and only make clean ethical shots. We must all remember as well that we represent a part of the hunting community and in general. If even one hunter does something that goes wrong and the media gets ahold of it they use it to represent the whole hunting community in general. So if you can not respect the animals you are hunting enough to make clean ethical shots. Then please respect the other hunters in the woods enough to not make mistakes as big as these you have mentioned.
James Kerr

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2011, 02:32:00 AM »
Couldn't agree more.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline tj69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2011, 03:17:00 AM »
@ JamesKerr    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Bezaleel ILF riser + Border HEX6 limbs 50#@29"
Morrison XD riser + Border HEX6 limbs 51#@29"

Offline Roaring Reds

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2011, 04:01:00 AM »
Well said Jameskerr. We hunters have enough issues to deal with without having irresponsible hunters in the woods.   :nono:

Offline flippnsticks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
Hit the nail on the head brother!!!  :clapper:

Offline bucksbuouy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
I cant post pics but my friend and I did achieve total penetration and pass through with field points on a skull. I would imagine many of the modern design broad heads would give similar results. I do hear what you guys are saying but if someone could give me one good reason as to why shooting an animal in the head or spine is an unreasonable way to kill it I would love to hear about it. The goose story sort of... falls short. And I have found a number of post archery season deer carcasses, not recovered by the hunter, all likely from bad shots at the heart. So a good shot is a good shot and a bad one is a bad one. No matter what your aiming at. So if I can put a broadhead in a deer's ear hole it will end up just as dead as when someone put one in its heart.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »

I decided to do an experiment with an old doe skull and zwickey 125 grains on a heavy hickory shaft. COULD NOT penetrate the brain cavity at point blank range. Not once. All it did was deflect and mutilate the facial bones and on a live animal would have left horrific injuries.  
This sounds like a pretty good reason and you came up with it yourself.
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: August 23, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
IF you could put an arrow in the deer earhole consistently, why not just clip the artery coming out of the heart?

If you miss the artery by a half inch you would still probably get the heart. If you miss the theoretical perfect "earhole" shot that would put the deer down there's a good chance the arrow glances off. I think to be able to pull off a shot that good you would almost have to be able to robin hood every shot at whatever distance you would want to shoot the deer. You would have to be able to hit the 14 ring on every shot on a 3d range.

Why would you try to make an easy shot so hard?  (heart/vitals vs earhole)

If the cover your hunting is so thick, why not cut some better shooting lanes? (if your hunting from a deer stand)

I had a cousin try a head shot at a doe at less then 10 yards with a compound, the arrow glanced off the skull.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: August 23, 2011, 09:57:00 PM »
Bucksbuoy:

I did not say that the shot was impossible, but that it is impossible to make consistantly. You are correct that there have been many deer wounded when the hunter just missed his mark. However, if there was a better place to shoot an animal I think someone would have figured it out by now.
James Kerr

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©