3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ShrewHill's "Yellow Dog"  (Read 497 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ShrewHill's "Yellow Dog"
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Thank you Ted.
As for a broadhead, there's a lot of them available in just about every size, style, and weight imaginable. Over the years I've tried most of them at one time or another. I killed my first deer 50 years ago with an M-A 3 blade head and I still remember that first blood trail.     :eek:    Like I said I've used a lot of different broadheads but I keep coming back to a big 2 blade. In the 50's I used the Goshawk head. They came in two sizes and I liked the bigger one. When the Ben Pearson Deadhead came out also in two sizes, I used the biggest one. I took a lot of deer with the Deadhead, it was like a flying broad-Ax..     :eek:   I used the Simmons Tree Shark for awhile until I had a hard time getting them.  For the last several years I've been using the Ace Super Express 200gr. and I like that head a lot. I picked up a pack of Tuff-heads this year and will give them a try this fall...gotta see if those single bevel's are as good as they claimed..     :archer:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
Hey buddy,

That looks like a beauty of a Hill style bow. It looks like a right hander, but it seems a little early to prep a prototype bow for the Shrew gang to test at camp???  Is that for a customer or are you sending it around to the Shrew Crew to break in before the official camp prototype test???  (hint:I've got some Acme Premium cedar shafts I got from John Grumley before his passing and they ought to work nicely out of that bow!)   ;)
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 04:22:00 PM »
p.s.

I think Loren Willey would approve of the name and inspiration for the name.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Ray,

You better watch out.  You shoot one of those "Hilly" bows and you might be forced to find a way to hunt with the "SHREW: extended length longbow"  LOL!    :laughing:
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
Jeff,

I have a 68" Howard Hill Tembo that I got in 1978 that I killed my first deer and first bear with. I still pull it out from time to time for fun. That bow is only 57#, but back when I was younger and didn't know any better, I shot a 86# Howard Hill Big Five. I've had various other longbows over the years, but since 1999 I've shot Super Shrew longbows for all my hunting.

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
This is a great looking bow, it's definetly on my list :^)

Darren
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline ken denton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 12:42:00 PM »
I notice the handle is straight and is tapered from front to back like Howard Hill did his!(making a sharper place where your bow hand fits) I have always wondered if this Hill handle was more forgiving than a regular straight thicker handle or a locator grip? Ken
"Arrows into the wind", What a wounderful sight!!!

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
Ken,

Depends on if you hold it correctly.  The wedge on the belly of the grip gives you a locator for the center of the bow and the meaty part of the thumb.  

You shoot the grip with the heel of the hand down and even pressure on the belly in the center.  The "wedge" gives you a locator.  You have to grip the bow right.  Some folks who try this grip try to straight wrist the bow, and that form does not work well with this grip.  It is a very accurate and forgiving wrist position when done properly.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 12:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ray Lyon:
Jeff,

I have a 68" Howard Hill Tembo that I got in 1978 that I killed my first deer and first bear with. I still pull it out from time to time for fun. That bow is only 57#, but back when I was younger and didn't know any better, I shot a 86# Howard Hill Big Five. I've had various other longbows over the years, but since 1999 I've shot Super Shrew longbows for all my hunting.
I figured you had shot alot of longbows over the years.  Just messin with ya a little.  Shrews in all forms are really cool bows.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
Nice bow!

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »
Jeff, messin is what we like to do best. And yes, I've had a mess of longbows over the years!!

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
Ray,

You an me both!  Too many bows to even count.  Hope your coming season presents you with many opportunities.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2011, 02:06:00 AM »
nate steen put that grip on my 3d bow it is akiller grip when it is sized correctly i think that hh had a reason for this grip it works .
Arrow_Flynn

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2011, 06:25:00 AM »
Lookin' good!

Offline Peter O. Stecher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
Great, great!!!!   Nice job, Ron!!  I know, the old Hill style bow will return to full glory soon....lol  Because I feel, the longbow is now outtuned, outperformed, they are like longcurves, not bad bows, but not really long bows - so the folks will remember the old style bows - performing, if well built, like modern high tech longbows.  :o ))

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
That is unbelievably beatiful bow!!!

Wow!

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2011, 07:48:00 PM »
Ron, know the area well. When my hunting buddies boy was getting smarter at Northern Michigan University, about 15 plus years ago, we did alot of stomping between Marquette and Big Bay. Special place for sure and you couldn't have chosen a better name.

:goldtooth:  

After a day of running the dogs on grouse and woodcock we'd take em to the Yellow Dog for a swim to cool off.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©