3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 50# Enought for Snuffers  (Read 642 times)

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
50# Enought for Snuffers
« on: July 03, 2007, 08:19:00 AM »
I didn't want to hijack the other thread on 2 vs 3 blades. But the comments come up now and then. So I have to ask. Is 50 LBS enough for 125 gr Snuffers?
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 50# Enought for Snuffers
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
yes
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Dave Coalter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 08:23:00 AM »
Steve,
I shoot 50# and use 125 gr Magnus. Works for me. Just keep the sharp.
Inside every old man there is a young man asking what the heck happened.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
Thanks, Gents. I have always used Magnus 2-Blade and 2 Blade w/ Bleeders. Wanting to experiment with Snuffers. But I want to know if the penetration with these on deer is still there, using a 50# bow. I like the idea of a bigger hole and shorter blood trail.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »
Steve I wouldn't recomend the big snuffers out of a 50# er and a 50#er is about the minimum for the 125's. Below 50# the 2 blade cut on impacts are a better choice IMO.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 09:15:00 AM »
I shoot 125 grain Snuffer's from my 46# longbow with GREAT results. I use carbons, they fly good and the heads are always VERY sharp. I feel the good results I get with these heads at my draw weight are due to the carbon shafts. MANY test have proven that the carbons have the best penetration. But hey' that's why there are so many different choices available. Everybody likes something different.

just my 2cents

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
I wouldn't hesitate to use a Snuffer at 50 pounds on deer.  Hogs and anything else bigger/tougher than deer I'd want more bow or a smaller better penetrating head.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
Shot through two does this past season with 160 grain Snuffer tipped carbons out of 42#. 50# is great plenty.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
Everybody has a story ... here's mine.  Have had poor penetration from the 145 Snuffers from a 50# bow and have had the 125's bend-up.  So I think the 145's are to big for a 50# bow and the 125's seem frail to me.

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 10:09:00 AM »
I've shot the big 160's through several deer with a 50# recurve, dacron string, and aluminum shaft.  Always out the other side.  Yes, you have plenty of steam for a snuffer.  Just get 'em real sharp and tuned well.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
Shot thru my 350+ lb bear this May with a 160 out of my 54#...this bear was easily twice as thick as most wt's...it was hell digging it out of the tree branch on the other side..broken ribs and all.

Get the bh sharp, tune the arrows, hit them right and you will not have any issues w/ the 125's...heck of a BH, the whole line.

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 10:21:00 AM »
Scotty -- your other post was much more eloquent...wonder if people will understand it  ;)

Weekend isn't looking good...might be down in LI...stay tuned.

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 10:26:00 AM »
I bet that Curtis Kellar will chime in.  He makes big holes in big hogs with low pound bows and big snuffers.  Just stick 'em in the right spot.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 10:29:00 AM »
On broadside shots at deer even the big snuffers are fine but it is best to stay away from any questonably shots at all or you will be disapointed.I have used both sizes from bows 50 and a bit under but can cut just as big of a hole with a lot less power without worring about angles a lot useing a Simmons.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 10:55:00 AM »
Thanks, everyone. Good to know!   :thumbsup:

Offline fireman_3311

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
If you're killin em with a 4 blade, you'll kill em with a Snuffer!!!
Official Measurer for Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, Compton's, Longhunters, and both Mo books.  Have tape, will travel!!!

Offline Jaeger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
I used a 125gr Snuffer on an Axis shaft in my 47# longbow last year. Complete pass through at 30 yards on a very nice 6 point.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of PA

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »
I will say yes even though the bow i used last season was 55#. My current hunting bow is 50# so we will see if i kill anything this fall. I'm willing to take bets also!  :biglaugh:   Did i mention that my arrows only weigh 392gr. total with that snuffer on it?
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 07:57:00 AM »
last year, medium doe quartering away, 50 lbs at 27", snuffer 160 with alum. adapter, beman black max 500, total arrow weight 490 gr. cut two ribs going in and two ribs going out, the arrow didn't completly pass through, but she was down in sight.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
Thanks, guys! Good input to know.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©