3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Confusing spine question  (Read 154 times)

Offline dkforge

• Trad Bowhunter
Confusing spine question
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
New to bow hunting and Traditional shooting. I am shooting a Bear Grizzly 58", 50#@28. My draw is 29". I shoot three under with tab. I am shooting a flemish string and POC wood arrows cut to 30" with 125 field tips. My question is about a confusing spine issue. From everything I read I should be shooting an arrow with a spine of at least 55-60 with this bow and setup and some I have read say it should be even higher. When I first bought the bow I bought some 45-50 arrows and have since bought some 50-55 thinking I needed more spine. What I am running into though is that the 45-50's just shoot straighter and seem to fly faster than the 50-55 spined arrows. Is this just an anomaly or should I try even higher spined arrows? Has anyone else ever run into this?

Thanks

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Confusing spine question
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »
Do you notice porpoising or fish tailing? If your arrows ae flying straight and true and you are accurate with your setup keep it. Also you can tune your arrows by changing the brace height. I shoot #60-65 out of my #55 @ 28 and my draw length is about 27. I shoot these because my dad shoots a #60. Also if it helps any I belive back in the good 'ol days they use to shoot lighter spined arrows. Something I just heard so if anyone can back this up it would be cool. I have a friendly wager with one of my buddies who has those wheels on his bow.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
Yes. When shooting field tips, sometimes underspined arrows will look good in flight. Put broadheads on and you'll see the truth. You will need considerably more spine for 30" arrows, maybe as much as 70-75#. I have a 50# Grizzly, too.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
You will get lots of advice and it will be good at that.

However, If your 45-50 arrows are shooting well and accurate with field point/broadhead just keep doing it.

Don't ty to fix what isn't broken. I have a friend that can tune Heritage 250 carbon arrows perfect to his bow. He constantly changes his set-up though because others tell him to do so. If he would just shoot what works, he would be way better off.

Everyone is different due to release and shooting form. If the 45-55 work for you, then shoot them. That may change in the future if your draw length increases or your form changes. Go with what works now my friend!

Shoot straight and best regards!   :archer2:

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by buckeye_hunter:
You will get lots of advice and it will be good at that.

However, If your 45-50 arrows are shooting well and accurate with field point/broadhead just keep doing it.

Don't ty to fix what isn't broken. I have a friend that can tune Heritage 250 carbon arrows perfect to his bow. He constantly changes his set-up though because others tell him to do so. If he would just shoot what works, he would be way better off.

Everyone is different due to release and shooting form. If the 45-55 work for you, then shoot them. That may change in the future if your draw length increases or your form changes. Go with what works now my friend!

Shoot straight and best regards!    :archer2:  
Bada Bing! Don't compliacte two sticks and a string.  :D
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©