3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I decided to prove Shawn Leonard wrong!  (Read 181 times)

Offline House

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I decided to prove Shawn Leonard wrong!
« on: August 19, 2011, 09:01:00 PM »
After reading Shawn's post about carbons being a "different animal" I decided that I would go outside and prove him wrong in "my" case.  I shoot a Centaur Double carbon that is 61.5# at my 28" draw length.  I "thought" I got very good flight from Gold Tip Trads 7595 at 30 3/8" with 250 grain heads and standard inserts.  I thought the slight wobble in my arrow flight was due to my release that is a "work in progress".  
So...I removed the standard inserts from six of my arrows and replaced them with 50 grain brass inserts and put in 300 grain field points, then stripped the feathers off of three of them.  The pictures speak for themselves.  I must admit that I am not the greatest target shot, but there is definately some to be learned from both the 20 and 35 yard groupings. The 20 yard grouping was a little high due to shooting 35 for a while then scooting up and I guess my brain didn't quite compensate completely   :D  
Both groups the aiming point was the cener dot in the top row of the green target.  The twenty yard group is on top. In the 35 yard group you cant quite see it, but the three arrows in the green target have fletching and the three in the "wrong" target, to the left are bare shafts.  Not even I can argue that they appear to be "a little" stiff.

So I guess to sum it up...Shawn, you are the man, if you look in the classifieds you'll see some 7595's for sale or trade, and there'll be more up for sale soon.

Thanks Shawn!

Travis
"Dad I think maybe sometimes you think too much" after an errant shot stump shooting with Cameron, my 5 year old son.

TGMM Family of the Bow
MK, LLC Shareholder
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I decided to prove Shawn Leonard wrong!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
I had been trying to make some 5575's work out of my Centaur. I read Shawn's posts and decided to shoot some 3555's w/145 points. they shoot like darts. Shawn knows of what he speaks.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
The Bait is out But Shawn has not Bit???  :laughing:    :nono:
Gord

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
He's always been close on my setups!

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
Yep Shawn seems to be the go to guy for carbon, when I shot my Hill at the Muzzy he helped me out with that setup.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline JohnnyWayne

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
Just for the record, he was right about my "heavy arrows" as well    :notworthy:
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.
-The Way of Kings

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 01:30:00 PM »
Ol shawn is sharp when it comes to arrow selection and opinions on diffrent bows . Guys like him and the rest of you make tradgang a wealth of info you just cant get any where else . Tradgang is truely a special place and Im very thankfull for you all .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
The deal is that you can get those stiff spines to fly very well and they will work for people, but my point is you can get away with a lighter spine because carbon recovers so quickly. This works for me and I have had my eyes open by guys shooting full length .500 spine with 425 grains of point weight out of 43-47# bows drawing 28"s and stood behind them and saw perfect flight, even at long range.  All the calculators and all the BS, I thought no way, way too much point weight but I have tested it again and again and it works. Thanks guys! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
So, Shawn, what would you recommend for insert and point weight for a r/d bow pulling 64#@31"? I've got some full length gt 7595s, and some 31.5" gt 5575s.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©