3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need advice on draw weight for my new Widow PCH  (Read 424 times)

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
Need advice on draw weight for my new Widow PCH
« on: August 20, 2011, 09:38:00 PM »
Im goin to order a black widow PCH next month and need some advice.. some history first.. my draw length is 27- 27.5, first bow was a longbow 47@28 and then i had a custom bob lee signature takedown 50@27. i sold them both and now only own a bear grizzly that is 42# at my draw length. and i can handle that pretty easily even if i dont shoot much. so i know how this bear pulls and heard stories on how smooth widows are, esp the PCH in 58 and 60in  im in debate on what poundage to get this baby in. i also am no longer a snap shooter and prefer to hold at anchor a few seconds. and thats how im shooting the bear grizzly now. so those of you who own widows can you offer some advice? esp knowing how they pull for you. thanks a bunch!!
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need advice on draw weight for my new Widow PCH
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 09:49:00 PM »
First, I think your Widow will draw more smoothly than the Bear.  Now, that being said, I would think you could easily go anywhere from 44-50# draw with out any significant problem providing ya practice with the new bow.....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 09:54:00 PM »
i wont be hunting with the new bow till next year, by the time i order it and recive it season will be half way over. and i mite have one on the ground by then    ;)

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
I had one that wAs 60" 49@28 and it was smooth as all get out. If I get another it will be about 54 lb because they feel lighter to me than what they are
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
From what you described I would go with 46@27
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 12:27:00 AM »
You don't mention how old you are, if you have any limitations on your phyisical abilities etc.  I would say this.  I have a PSA...53@29.  I pull the 29".

You can kill anything in NA with a 50/55 pound bow..especially a widow.  For some reason they always need shafts spined 10 pounds heavier than what a simlar draw weight bow requires.

You already own a low to mid 40's bow...why buy another?  The PCH is a take down.  Buy lighter limbs later if you like.  A 27" draw dosen't have the string time that a 29" inch draw does.  I'd go with a 50 at your length and I'd consider the 60" limbs.  I have the 58" limbs and the pinch isn't bad..but I think I'd prefer the 60 for the smoother draw.

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 11:14:00 AM »
I guess I would approach this from the other direction. If you pull 42# now, why not stay near that, say 45#. You will want to shoot the Widow a lot, so make it fun to shoot. 3 pounds up is noticable after shooting a few arrows, don't risk your form on getting a bow to heavy for you. If after shooting the bow for awhile and you want to go after larger game, order or find a heavier set of limbs then.

If you get a bow to heavy, it may feel like an expensive mistake.

Best of luck,
Terry

Offline bfrbmj

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
Red-  How about test driving one and maybe get a couple of sets of limbs if they would do that. Try a different weight and maybe a different limb length if you have questions on that. That way you will know exactly how the bow  and draw weights will feel, rather than just reading or thinking about what is best.  For me, the test drive was worth the  cost of shipping.  I would even try that a couple of times if necessary or find someone in the area with one.  Brian
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
42#s is 42#s once at full draw, a bow may seem more smooth or start to stack past a certain weight but if the bow is 42#s at 28" it will hold the same as any other bow at 42#s at 28"s. If you are confortable at 42#s no reason not to stick with it. Even if you are gonna hunt ith it, 42#s will be fine on deer sized game. Shawn
Shawn

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 04:51:00 PM »
Trad-man im 29yrs young.

i thought about test driving one, but it seems it would be so expensive.

a friend of mine is going to let me borrow one of his #55 bows(not a widow). and get a feel for it. i am curious to see how i handle it. i never shot a bow above #50 before. thanks for the help guys

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
also i feel i have pretty good form, aroud 5 9'' or 5 10'' so that about all draw length i can get without feeling too stretched out.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 05:06:00 PM »

first pic ever attempt, i was being lazy and didnt want to remove the bow fishing reel..

Offline mzag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
I have a pch and a psa. But both are short draw lengths, so maybe my reaction is not the best for you.
I agree with neargeezer and Shawnleonard. The bows are smooth, but you are still holding the full weight. Form is very important and if you want to shoot many arrows when you practice, go with 45@27. You can always buy new limbs when your muscles get used to more weight. But for now don't go higher than what you are used to. Accuracy is the most important thing when hunting -- and that means good form.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
50#
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 05:17:00 AM »
I'm twice your age. I have PSAX,PCHX, and PSAIII. All are 58" bows that pull 45-47# at my 26" draw length.

I shoot almost daily (but rarely shoot my Widows -- my favorite at the time is a different brand).

I love the standard grip. It is slim to my smallish hands, helps me set my bow hand properly, and the bit of palm swell feels very nice. I find the bows smooth drawing. I think the heft of a Widow is terrific and results in a solid feeling bow after the shot.

Widow LIMBS are as beautiful as any other, especially if you like exotic woods. I have Cocobolo PAX and Myrtle PCHX. It is difficult to get the maximum beauty in the riser though with all the layers of wood and fiberglass. This would be my only "complaint" with the Widows I own.

There are many Widow owners and therefore many for sale it seems at all times, especially if you are a RH shooter. It is difficult to save more than a couple hundred from a new one but I highly recommend a used bow -- Widow guys take care of em.

Mine shoot the same arrow as 6-7 other recurves I own that have very similar specs. I've found no oddities in the area of matching arrows with these bows.

My son is just a bit older than you. He is very comfortable with a Predator drawing 52# at his 28" draw length.

I used the Test-Drive method to select my PAX. I bought the very bow within 45 minutes of receiving the test drive! They sold me the test drive model which isn't always available.

Regarding your draw weight question. This is a very personal thing. I've found that moving up from what I'm used to by more than 3 pounds is dramatic (too much for me). As others have written, shooting a bow that is comfortable and easy to shoot properly is far more important than another 5 pounds of draw weight or so. I'd say this, any bow you find comfortable at a given draw weight I'd expect the Widow to to be as "easy" to draw at 1-2 pounds heavier.

Oh, why don't I shoot the Widows much? I have no explanation that make's a bit of sense. Maybe because they are so common? Common or not, I don't think I have ever owned a bow that will out shoot em.

Offline captain caveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
I bought a pch last summer.  Had been shooting a 50lb Martin hatfield takedown which is a longer bow.  I hunt alot of thick cover and some tree stands.  I think this bow really shines for mobile turkey hunting.  Mine is 52lbs at 28". Took a little getting used to.  Shoots so much  faster I was shooting consistently high.  Not most experienced with tuning but had to shorten my arrows quite a bit to increase spine when bare shaft tuning. But now getting great flight with Broadheads.  Was told most states require 50lbs to elk hunt so 52lbs would alleviate any concerns if ever checked.  I like the idea of test driving one with say 45 and a set of 52 for ex.  I took a risk but ended up happy with chosen draw weight.   l went with graybark and love it but changed the name to scarlet and gray bark. Little partial to the colors.

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 10:27:00 AM »
Reguardless of a smooth feel, once you get the bow back you will be holding X number of pounds. If 42# is what you like, then you should stay with that.  I have seen countless numbers of people overbow themselves over the years. You will never shoot, let me repeat that, NEVER, learn to shoot or improve your shooting with a bow that is too heavy for you. If you have made your mind up about a PCH, I would suggest you give Roger a call and have him send you one for a trial in whatever poundage you are thinking about. Try it out and if it's too much or not enough poundage, you will know before your order.  Good thing about a take down is you can always get another set of limbs, later. Think lighter not heavier, you will be much better off for it.  RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
Just from personal experience--you are better off getting a comfortable draw weight (for you that would be 42-45#@27" sounds like). If you get a bow that's a bit on the heavy side, hoping to work up to it, your form will deteriorate in the process. Hitting a deer in the butt with 55# is far less lethal than hitting it in the breadbasket with 42#. Accuracy and broadhead sharpness are the most important things, given an acceptable hunting weight in the bow.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
thank you guys so much for the great advie! its definitely a big decision, and there not cheap. why i want to make the best choice. i am goin to call them guys this week to tlk things over about my bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©