3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tanto tip  (Read 169 times)

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
tanto tip
« on: August 21, 2011, 06:44:00 PM »
I bought some 190 Tuskers, I'm in the process of sharpening them and want to use a tanto tip. Hoe do you guys go about installing this style of tip?

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tanto tip
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 07:24:00 PM »
Don't know about tanto but my deltas end up with a kinda sharp round tip when i'm done. They still spin nice and don't curl.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:00:00 PM »
Yeah I've used deltas for years they are a great head, when i sharpen them I end up like yours, kinda rounded. I've taken lots of game with them, just wanted to try a heavier head mainly for Moose. I forgot to mention these are the concorde 190 single bevel. Just looking for possible better penetration. just wanted to get some input on tanto tip sharpening techniques. Thanks for the reply!

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
The Ashby reports have the specs. but I don't recall which report...help. They are on the TG forum list.

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Thanks, I'll look at them. I remember see lots about tanto tips but don't remember  see the technique used.

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
I've done it to a few of my heads and I always used a file. instead of rounded edges you have angled edges, I'd also guess rounded works too..

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
I use a file too. On a single bevel head, I start filing on the tip opposite the bevel. This will create kind of a double bevel at the tip. I try for about a 45 degree angle or thereabouts. Once I have the bevel filed into the back side, so to speak, I work on the beveled side to give it the same 45 degrees. If your blades have a 25 degree bevel, the tip bevel should be steeper. I hope this makes sense. I am on vacation or I would take some pictures for you. I'll be back home Thursday. If you don't have it figured out by then, send be a PM and I'll get you some pictures.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 02:11:00 AM »
Thanks 30 coupe, that's what I was looking for, I'll give it a try! I'd love to see some pictures.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 11:34:00 AM »
I use a file and develop an angled tip instead of a round or needle tip. I do this by holding the head at whatever angle I want the tip to be at and create a flat surface that has the shape of a tanto tip. After getting the profile I want I put an edge on it and I,m through.
James Kerr

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »
I think the 190 screw in is the only Concorde we sell without the tanto tip, but it's easy to add just put on an arrow and drag backwards on a file alternating sides as you go.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 08:51:00 PM »
This is thanks to Dr. Ashby and Feb 2009 TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTER.
"The Tanto Tip Advantage" article studied 42 Tusker Concords so it's even your bh in question.
Tanto,round,chisel,arch,concave,needle,and flat tips were studied with the tanto besting all performance testing with the least damage of all tip profiles.
AVOID: "The tip should not be single-beveled on the same side as the main blade's edge bevel.Doing so increases the tendency for the bh to skid off the bone..."
DESIGN: "I've been using about a 30 degree angle of attack,or tip slope. That means the total angle at the tanto's tip is 60 degrees".
Dr.Ashby states more designs need to be tested.
Hope this helps and check out the full article.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©