3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: fletching tape never had it so easy  (Read 327 times)

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
fletching tape never had it so easy
« on: August 21, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
gosh i can't believe that noone ever mentioned the fletching tape to me was you guys holding out on me or what . i got it yesterday and tonight while idling around the house decided to try it out and heck 15 min later had 6 arrows fletched and even put some tracers on 3 of them first for both tape and tracers.
will never use glue again .

Scott

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: fletching tape never had it so easy
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Scott, Thanx for your feedback on the tape. I watched a how-to tread on this and seemed easy. I have been considering using it and now I will.

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
put a drop of super glue on both ends of the fletch and you will wear out the feathers before the tape will let go. I love the stuff!

Offline Scott Beitzel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 11:06:00 PM »
i also did put a drop of glue on the leading tip but didn't put any on the rear .
it was a lil tricky to get the tape on and then the layers seperated but after one or two i had it down pat . a razor blade edge works great to get under the edge from the side .

Scott

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
I tried it and it was a pain for me but I know it workes for some. I prefer glue over tape for me its the way I like to do it I had trouble with the tap but it may have just been me trying to teach a old dog a new trick sort of thing.  Widow

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »
Don't think I will ever go back to glue.

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 12:03:00 AM »
Pull real hard on the feathers and then tell me what u think

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:24:00 AM »
I'm convinced!
Mike
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 05:34:00 AM »
I love the tape, it takes a little getting used to but I think it is the best thing going. Make sure you clean the shaft real good before fletching, I use a rag with some denatured alchohol to wipe the shaft down before fletching and put a drop of duco on both ends when done. I havent lost a fletch that was taped on yet.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 05:54:00 AM »
I found out about the tape here on Trad Gang last year. I used it on some Legacy alum. shafts and really like it. I've wondered how the tape will do in winter hunting (mid-20's around here) but haven't tried it.

I've switched to Beman MFX Classics (carbon) now and I get em already fletched to my liking.

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 06:25:00 AM »
I have used it for years, and see a post on here about every week, dont know how you guys have missed it. It holds up well in all weather temps. I got a buddy started using it this past week.
samuel koger

Offline BrownA5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 06:37:00 AM »
Appreciate this thread.  I have never tried the tape but after reading this will give it a go.  Timing was perfect since I am placing an order with 3Rivers today.  Thanks again!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 07:16:00 AM »
Glad you are going with 3Rivers. I went straight to the manufacturer and paid too much.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 07:26:00 AM »
Scott
I've used tape for the last few years and love the way it goes on and removes. Recently I was at a shop and the owner a older gent asked me how I put my feathers on and I told him, he said come on back I want to show you something. He sits down and flecked up a arrow faster than I could using a thin CA glue from towers hobbie.
So I went home and tried it and have fletched two dozen arrows with it this past week.
I will evaluate how they stay on so well see.
Tape rocks for sure.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
The tape stays on through punishment, too. Yesterday I was shooting my arrows through one of those black hole targets (and I mean right through and out the other side and into the dirt) and the feathers weren't even starting to lift. If I'd tried that with my old glue, I would have been short some feathers.

Online ShooterF150

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
I all so like the tape  easy fast   used it for a couple of years                 works  well  for  me

Offline bucksakemmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
What I really like is the ease of arrow clean up when its time to refletch, no scaping just peal them off, and I have never had tape fail me.

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 11:42:00 AM »
put a drop of super glue on both ends of the fletch and you will wear out the feathers before the tape will let go.  
I watched the videos by Robe DiSefano in the How to section of Tradgang. He made it look so simple.
I still had someone show me just to make sure I was doing it right and he also puts a little glue on both ends of the feather. I had a blast putting them together.
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 01:38:00 PM »
the butt end remains of a 4 fletch taped carbon arrow that killed a hog.  over two years of hiding in a briar patch in the south carolina woods, the feathers are gone but the quill bases are FIRMLY stuck to the shaft.  fletch tape is THE way to go, for me!    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    

terry and me, with the hog the above arrow killed, and the remaining two brethren arrows ...

yeah man, fletch tape rules for me!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by T Folts:
Scott
I've used tape for the last few years and love the way it goes on and removes. Recently I was at a shop and the owner a older gent asked me how I put my feathers on and I told him, he said come on back I want to show you something. He sits down and flecked up a arrow faster than I could using a thin CA glue from towers hobbie.
So I went home and tried it and have fletched two dozen arrows with it this past week.
I will evaluate how they stay on so well see.
Tape rocks for sure.
That's the same method that I use for feathers. If it dries too quick for you though try the 20 second setting type (thick). Sometimes the thin will dry before you even get it to the shaft. :-(

I do use the tape for target applications.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©