3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Selfbow care  (Read 131 times)

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
Selfbow care
« on: August 22, 2011, 01:24:00 AM »
I just got my first selfbow and I'm looking for any tips or things to do that will prolong the life of the bow.

Re: Selfbow care
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 01:45:00 AM »
My pignut hickory shoots almost as fast as my Hill style bows and quite possibly more accurate as well. I thought I wrecked it once goose hunting in the rain.  The bow lost most of its cast.  I sanded it off and stuck it in a furnace duct for the winter.  In the spring I took a little length off of it and retillered it, to my surprise it shot faster than ever. It is good to keep an eye on the tiller. It can change as any perfection may compound itself over time. Keep a good finish on it and don't leave it loaded longer than needed.  Mine is going squirrel and dove hunting in a couple of weeks.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Never hand your bow to someone else strung. They may have a 32" draw and the first thing most folk do when they are handed a bow it to jerk it back to full draw, I guy thing I guess. Don't let anyone with a longer draw than you pull your bow back, this precaution will extend its life for you.

Offline K Harris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
after stringing your bow, give it a half dozen short pulls to get it "warmed up" before you shoot.  Between a quarter and half of your draw length should do it.  Hang your bow un-braced when not in use, or lay it flat.  Do not stand it in the corner.  If it has a true oil finish, wax it with the Birchwood Casey Gun Stock Wax regularly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©